15 year old girl kills herself after persistent bullying

AzrealMaximillion

New member
Jan 20, 2010
3,216
0
0
BloatedGuppy said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Compassion is not a character flaw. I never said that. Not being informed is a flaw. Its not ok for a mob of people to threaten a random guy with death just because they "care".
Of course it's not. But they're threatening a random guy with death because they're hotheads, not because they care. Compassion does not lead directly to random acts of vigilante justice. Mobs don't form to sympathy someone to death. If you want to complain about mob justice, by all means fill your boots. You're just drawing aim on the wrong target.
They may be hotheads, but they think they're in the right. They care enough to react. Compassion without information leads to mob mentality. I have no problem with caring about Amanda Todd, I have a problem with people thinking that its ok in the slightest to think that they can criticize, threaten, or harass a person simply because they think they`re either a better person, or they think that its ok to do what you please to someone who was rumoured to do a bad thing.


Making a Facebook group to hate a specific person isn`t a hotheaded move, its a misinformed vigilant move. I`ll agree that him getting death threats on his YouTube page is hotheads, but creating a forum of hate online makes it much more personal. Mob mentality is horrible because it causes crap like this.
 

BloatedGuppy

New member
Feb 3, 2010
9,572
0
0
AzrealMaximillion said:
They may be hotheads, but they think they're in the right.
Hardly shocking. Everyone thinks they're in the right. I think I'm in the right. You think you're in the right. It's a rare person who thinks they're in the wrong and doesn't immediately move to correct it so they're "in the right" again. Best case scenario is you get someone that might admit, in the hypothetical, that they COULD be in the wrong.

Secretly they think they're in the right though.
 

Zombiefish

New member
Sep 29, 2012
58
0
0
BloatedGuppy said:
In my case, I posted about it because I happen to live in Vancouver, so the story had a local angle for me. I also have a girlfriend who has a profound anxiety disorder, and was bullied as a kid. I could very easily have seen her ending up in similar circumstances, so it's hard for me not to over-identify.

I'm really not sure where this idea came from that asking for attention is bad. I know we have a society where a lot of people are clamoring for our attention non stop, and some of them are pretty obnoxious, but honestly in cases like this it's just kind of heart breaking. A lot of these people are just craving validation, which they're apparently not getting from their families or immediate peers, so they have to look to total strangers for it. While I may not have all the attention in the world to spare, I don't really feel a burning need to tear them down for it, either, as if the very act of calling attention to yourself is an active act of malice.

Caring is not a zero sum proposition. I don't use up all my caring on one person and then when the next one comes along I suddenly have none to spare. If someone wants to call attention to the fact their suffering, good for them. If someone wants to suffer in silence, that's their prerogative, but they can't very well go on to complain later that no one noticed. We have that homily about squeaky wheels and grease for a reason.

And really, in her case, all the "respect" she's getting isn't doing her a whole lot of fucking good, is it?
Asking for help is not bad. Doing it on you tube probably is. There are many dedicated websites and helplines for depression and bullying. Posting on you tube is not going to get you the help you wish, just lots of publicity. I think that is evident from this case.

Many suffer in silence because they do not wish to burden others with their problems. I find this incredibly sad and respect their dedication to others wellbeing. This doesn't mean I dont think people shouldnt ask for help, they should, but I do respect their strength of character.

As I said my own personal opinion is her death does not warrant so much love and affection over the lives of others in exactly the same situation.
 

BloatedGuppy

New member
Feb 3, 2010
9,572
0
0
Zombiefish said:
As I said my own personal opinion is her death does not warrant so much love and affection over the lives of others in exactly the same situation.
I hear that. All I was doing was sharing my own opinion in response. Any teenager (or child, or adult) killing themselves because they feel alone/unwanted is tragic, and merits a sympathetic response. As I said, I don't have a finite amount of sympathy. It costs me nothing to be sympathetic. You can argue that sympathy after the fact is an entirely worthless gesture, because it is, but I feel it nonetheless.
 

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
6,374
0
0
AzrealMaximillion said:
shrekfan246 said:
RedFeather1975 said:
It's not really selfish of her StormShaun.
She didn't belong on a world that didn't care for who she really was.
She was made to hurt for it. But now she can't be hurt anymore.
Congratulations, this is probably the nicest thing anybody has said in this thread.
That comment ignores the fact that her parents tried to help by moving her from school to school. In her situation and with the way that schools handle bullying, its pretty much the only thing you could have done for her.

It also ignore the fact that she was going to counselling on a monthly basis. There were people that cared for her and people who were legitimately trying to help. Suicide like this is selfish to a degree.

Now people have shut down the Facebook of a guy known as Corey Hartstone due to rumours of him being the blackmailer. Death threats and all. Turns out it was really a guy named Kody Maxson. See what blind sympathy can do?

Overall this was a sad situation, but suicide is always a choice.
Suicide is a choice, yes, but this girl didn't "bring it on herself" or "deserve it" because of one stupid thing she decided to do. She didn't "get what was coming to her" by way of all the bullying she received, and she wasn't "weak" because she couldn't overcome her bullying like everyone else in this thread apparently could, bullying that, by the way, for everyone else I would imagine didn't involve getting mocked over showing your genitalia over the internet.

Do people honestly think it wouldn't be humiliating for a young girl to discover that everyone she knew had found out that she flashed somebody, and had seen the picture that was proof? I don't know what world The Escapist lives in, but generally teenagers are extremely self-conscious about their bodies, and teenage girls even more so. Yeah, she may have set all of these events into motion herself by doing the flashing in the first place, but that doesn't mean that she deserved to be mocked and ridiculed, beaten and used, and pushed past her breaking point (because newsflash, not everyone is a "strong" person).

I wasn't giving her blind sympathy. I was merely stating a fact: If I had been a person in her life over the months she began spiraling down the drain, I would have attempted to help her out of it. I don't give a damn what the blind mob does in response to this story, I just give a damn about all of the people who brush this off with "Eh, happens all the time." Yeah, Cancer, Diabetes, Alzheimer's, and the various types of Influenza happen all the time, too, does that mean we shouldn't try to figure out the root problem and reduce it as much as we can? People getting shot, stabbed, mugged, raped, or into driving accidents happens all the time too, does that mean it's not an issue?

As it stands right now, I always think it's a shame when a person with a full and potentially productive life ahead of them has it prematurely ended, and I'm horrified by all of the cold, callous remarks being made in this thread in regards to her character or how the bullies aren't the ones who should shoulder any of the blame.
 

AzrealMaximillion

New member
Jan 20, 2010
3,216
0
0
BloatedGuppy said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
They may be hotheads, but they think they're in the right.
Hardly shocking. Everyone thinks they're in the right. I think I'm in the right. You think you're in the right. It's a rare person who thinks they're in the wrong and doesn't immediately move to correct it so they're "in the right" again. Best case scenario is you get someone that might admit, in the hypothetical, that they COULD be in the wrong.

Secretly they think they're in the right though.
Difference is, we're having civilized discourse and not calling for the head of someone based on kneejerk reactions to rumours. They are. The people who are participating in the facebook hate group aren't hotheads. They're a collective of similarly minded folk who found a group to share their masturbatory ego stroking with one another. While deliberately hating a person who has been cleared of what they're hating him for.

I think I'm right, you think you're right. Neither of us are affecting each other's life in an adverse way. Unlike the mob mentality.

Its like any "morality over humanity" thread here on the Escapist that gets started up. Those threads aren't there for discussion. They are there to gather people who agreed with the OP, and congratulate each other for doing so. Most who comment in a differing manner get told that their wrong and insulted for it. That's not right. Misinformed mobs are dangerous. These are the Salem Witch Trails of the modern day and its high time that people started moderating them properly.
 

BloatedGuppy

New member
Feb 3, 2010
9,572
0
0
AzrealMaximillion said:
Its like any "morality over humanity" thread here on the Escapist that gets started up. Those threads aren't there for discussion. They are there to gather people who agreed with the OP, and congratulate each other for doing so. Most who comment in a differing manner get told that their wrong and insulted for it. That's not right. Misinformed mobs are dangerous. These are the Salem Witch Trails of the modern day and its high time that people started moderating them properly.
Well, we're wandering into some odd territory with this last paragraph (a chuckle over "Salem Witch Trails" notwithstanding). Yes, the internet is full of people who will tell you how wrong or bad you are for having an opinion, or taking a moral stance. This thread is full of them. I will say I'm sympathetic for a dead girl, someone will come and tell me I'm wrong for being sympathetic for a dead girl, I will tell that person they're wrong for telling me I'm wrong for being sympathetic for a dead girl, and around and around we'll go. Being told you're wrong isn't an inherently problematic event (in fact, it's pretty healthy, intellectually speaking). Insults are problematic by forum rules, but saying "You are morally wrong for believing X" isn't the kind of insult that is usually subject to moderation. I really don't think we have a moderation problem in this thread, to be honest, beyond a few people trolling for shock value.

I'm all in agreement with you about mobs and actual persecution of someone, but you keep wanting to marry it to compassion or moral high mindedness, and I think you're barking up the wrong tree. I can have no convictions whatsoever and still be part of a mob. I can be the least compassionate person alive and still be part of a mob (indeed, I'd argue the likelihood soars in that case). Correlation =/= causation. If you want to talk about underlying factors when it comes to people and mob justice, start with confirmation bias and schadenfreude and go from there.
 

AzrealMaximillion

New member
Jan 20, 2010
3,216
0
0
shrekfan246 said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
shrekfan246 said:
RedFeather1975 said:
It's not really selfish of her StormShaun.
She didn't belong on a world that didn't care for who she really was.
She was made to hurt for it. But now she can't be hurt anymore.
Congratulations, this is probably the nicest thing anybody has said in this thread.
That comment ignores the fact that her parents tried to help by moving her from school to school. In her situation and with the way that schools handle bullying, its pretty much the only thing you could have done for her.

It also ignore the fact that she was going to counselling on a monthly basis. There were people that cared for her and people who were legitimately trying to help. Suicide like this is selfish to a degree.

Now people have shut down the Facebook of a guy known as Corey Hartstone due to rumours of him being the blackmailer. Death threats and all. Turns out it was really a guy named Kody Maxson. See what blind sympathy can do?

Overall this was a sad situation, but suicide is always a choice.
Suicide is a choice, yes, but this girl didn't "bring it on herself" or "deserve it" because of one stupid thing she decided to do. She didn't "get what was coming to her" by way of all the bullying she received, and she wasn't "weak" because she couldn't overcome her bullying like everyone else in this thread apparently could, bullying that, by the way, for everyone else I would imagine didn't involve getting mocked over showing your genitalia over the internet.
I never said that she deserved it or any of that.

But you have to admit, saying that she committed suicide because she was bullied over a nude pic is incorrect. The nude pic was a non-issue in the recent events of her life. It may have been the catalyst, but she didn't kill herself due to something that happened 3 years ago. The nude pics destroyed her self esteem. She seems to have killed herself because she thought no one cared about her, though we'll never know for sure. The notion that she committed suicide due to the nude pic ignore the fact that she moved schools multiple time to get away from that drama. She finally did, then she slept with a guy who was in a relationship. She got caught and beaten up for it. That comes with the territory. She became disliked for it, again it comes with the territory. Her drinking bleach the night of he getting beat up was not the way to deal with it, but once again, her self esteem was shattered by a guy she thought liked her and being at a school where she sat alone at lunch until she slept with a taken guy. My point is, saying that she committed suicide because of the nude pic, is stretching the issue and ignoring 3 years of events.
Do people honestly think it wouldn't be humiliating for a young girl to discover that everyone she knew had found out that she flashed somebody, and had seen the picture that was proof? I don't know what world The Escapist lives in, but generally teenagers are extremely self-conscious about their bodies, and teenage girls even more so. Yeah, she may have set all of these events into motion herself by doing the flashing in the first place, but that doesn't mean that she deserved to be mocked and ridiculed, beaten and used, and pushed past her breaking point (because newsflash, not everyone is a "strong" person).
Understood, but that doesn't mean that other teenagers who are also self conscious about themselves won't take any opportunity to make themselves fell better by picking on someone else. Her event was a massive opportunity to do so. This, unfortunately is one of the more prevalent examples of the saying, "kids are cruel". She didn't know the ramifications of flashing someone on the internet, and those who bullied her don't know what excessive bullying can do to someone. They're not inherently horrible people, they just don't know any better. You have to remember, the people bullying her were kids at the time too.
I wasn't giving her blind sympathy. I was merely stating a fact: If I had been a person in her life over the months she began spiraling down the drain, I would have attempted to help her out of it. I don't give a damn what the blind mob does in response to this story, I just give a damn about all of the people who brush this off with "Eh, happens all the time." Yeah, Cancer, Diabetes, Alzheimer's, and the various types of Influenza happen all the time, too, does that mean we shouldn't try to figure out the root problem and reduce it as much as we can? People getting shot, stabbed, mugged, raped, or into driving accidents happens all the time too, does that mean it's not an issue?
See, I can't take that at face value. Maybe I've just experienced too much, but every time I see someone say that they would have helped a person in mental peril, I have the urge to call BS. No offense to you personally but I've seen people who say exactly that, go back to making fun of the weird guy in the corner of the classroom/workplace within a month.

That and how in the hell do you know that you can just pick out the people with mental issues? You can't, they hide them well. I have friends who are on anti depressants due to mental illness tell me that they were once suicidal. I would have never known had they not told me. Mental illness isn't like visibly diseases. People with mental illnesses hide them from the world because they don't think we understand. Some of them get help. Amanda Todd had help. She was in counselling and on anti-depressants. Still was not enough.
As it stands right now, I always think it's a shame when a person with a full and potentially productive life ahead of them has it prematurely ended, and I'm horrified by all of the cold, callous remarks being made in this thread in regards to her character or how the bullies aren't the ones who should shoulder any of the blame.
You call them cold and callous but those remarks (at least the ones that have legitimate points) are the other side of situations that no one wants to talk about. They need to be said, it helps us understand why people do things like this to themselves. If we didn't have remarks looking at more than just blaming the bullies, people with mental issues would have a much worse time in this world because everyone would be treating them like glass instead of trying to understand them. Amanda Todd must not have known how to her feeling into words that would help others understand her plight, because that would have helped miles beyond posting a YouTube video on cue cards. I'm sorry if I sound cold but that is the honest truth. You're talking to a guy who in the 3rd grade literally saw a man shoot another man dead in the streets near school. A person who has helped suicidal friends stay alive. A guy who had one of his old friends murdered only one year ago. I'm not saying I'm more qualified than you when it comes to situations that are grim, I'm just more used to them. So I feel no shame talking about what the parents, schools, bullies, blackmailer, and the victim did to result in this. This is a tragedy, nothing but.
 

AzrealMaximillion

New member
Jan 20, 2010
3,216
0
0
BloatedGuppy said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Its like any "morality over humanity" thread here on the Escapist that gets started up. Those threads aren't there for discussion. They are there to gather people who agreed with the OP, and congratulate each other for doing so. Most who comment in a differing manner get told that their wrong and insulted for it. That's not right. Misinformed mobs are dangerous. These are the Salem Witch Trails of the modern day and its high time that people started moderating them properly.
Well, we're wandering into some odd territory with this last paragraph (a chuckle over "Salem Witch Trails" notwithstanding). Yes, the internet is full of people who will tell you how wrong or bad you are for having an opinion, or taking a moral stance. This thread is full of them. I will say I'm sympathetic for a dead girl, someone will come and tell me I'm wrong for being sympathetic for a dead girl, I will tell that person they're wrong for telling me I'm wrong for being sympathetic for a dead girl, and around and around we'll go. Being told you're wrong isn't an inherently problematic event (in fact, it's pretty healthy, intellectually speaking). Insults are problematic by forum rules, but saying "You are morally wrong for believing X" isn't the kind of insult that is usually subject to moderation. I really don't think we have a moderation problem in this thread, to be honest, beyond a few people trolling for shock value.

I'm all in agreement with you about mobs and actual persecution of someone, but you keep wanting to marry it to compassion or moral high mindedness, and I think you're barking up the wrong tree. I can have no convictions whatsoever and still be part of a mob. I can be the least compassionate person alive and still be part of a mob (indeed, I'd argue the likelihood soars in that case). Correlation =/= causation. If you want to talk about underlying factors when it comes to people and mob justice, start with confirmation bias and schadenfreude and go from there.
What I'm saying is that people need to hold a bit of their compassion back and look at the whole picture. Compassion can cause people to do crazy things. That can't be denied. I'm not saying, don't feel feelings, but keep them in check as best you can. It's nearly impossible for a mob to do that though...
 

BloatedGuppy

New member
Feb 3, 2010
9,572
0
0
AzrealMaximillion said:
What I'm saying is that people need to hold a bit of their compassion back and look at the whole picture. Compassion can cause people to do crazy things. That can't be denied. I'm not saying, don't feel feelings, but keep them in check as best you can. It's nearly impossible for a mob to do that though...
And what I'm saying, again, is that compassion is not the problem. The mob does not want to find Cory or Kody in order to be compassionate to them. There is certainly an emotion driving the desire to find and hurt these guys, but it's not compassion.

AzrealMaximillion said:
She got caught and beaten up for it. That comes with the territory.
Yeah, I'm sorry, but this is bullshit. Putting aside that teenage relationships are not exactly graven in stone or sacred ground, getting beaten in a 15 on 1 altercation does not "come with the territory" of infidelity. I've been cheated on. If the individual who cheated on me (or slept with the girl I was seeing) had been beaten viciously by a flash mob I would not have shrugged and said "comes with the territory!". For fucks sake. You're going on a tirade about mob justice, and you're hand waving this as being part and parcel of teenage infidelity. Cheating sucks, but it's just a shit heel act, and most of the blame lies with the person in the relationship anyway. Beating someone is a crime. Beating someone with a mob of friends at your back is a disgusting crime.
 

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
6,374
0
0
Just to let you know if you want to respond to this, I'm not coming back to this thread after this post.
AzrealMaximillion said:
I never said that she deserved it or any of that.
You didn't, that was more in reference to the average other comments in this thread.

But you have to admit, saying that she committed suicide because she was bullied over a nude pic is incorrect. The nude pic was a non-issue in the recent events of her life. It may have been the catalyst, but she didn't kill herself due to something that happened 3 years ago. The nude pics destroyed her self esteem. She seems to have killed herself because she thought no one cared about her, though we'll never know for sure. The notion that she committed suicide due to the nude pic ignore the fact that she moved schools multiple time to get away from that drama. She finally did, then she slept with a guy who was in a relationship. She got caught and beaten up for it. That comes with the territory. She became disliked for it, again it comes with the territory. Her drinking bleach the night of he getting beat up was not the way to deal with it, but once again, her self esteem was shattered by a guy she thought liked her and being at a school where she sat alone at lunch until she slept with a taken guy. My point is, saying that she committed suicide because of the nude pic, is stretching the issue and ignoring 3 years of events.
I simplified it because I didn't want my post to become more convoluted. It was the catalyst, therefore it was the most relevant thing to lean back upon.
Understood, but that doesn't mean that other teenagers who are also self conscious about themselves won't take any opportunity to make themselves fell better by picking on someone else. Her event was a massive opportunity to do so. This, unfortunately is one of the more prevalent examples of the saying, "kids are cruel". She didn't know the ramifications of flashing someone on the internet, and those who bullied her don't know what excessive bullying can do to someone. They're not inherently horrible people, they just don't know any better. You have to remember, the people bullying her were kids at the time too.
Fair point, duly noted.

See, I can't take that at face value. Maybe I've just experienced too much, but every time I see someone say that they would have helped a person in mental peril, I have the urge to call BS. No offense to you personally but I've seen people who say exactly that, go back to making fun of the weird guy in the corner of the classroom/workplace within a month.

That and how in the hell do you know that you can just pick out the people with mental issues? You can't, they hide them well. I have friends who are on anti depressants due to mental illness tell me that they were once suicidal. I would have never known had they not told me. Mental illness isn't like visibly diseases. People with mental illnesses hide them from the world because they don't think we understand. Some of them get help. Amanda Todd had help. She was in counselling and on anti-depressants. Still was not enough.
Obviously anecdotal evidence is anecdotal, but back in high school I pretty much was the weird guy sitting in the corner of the classroom.

And I was basing my statement off of her assertion in the video that she would sit alone at lunch. If I saw someone sitting alone, I would attempt to make friends with them, as I said in my original post. It was not based around her being a person with mental issues. It was based around me knowing what it's like to be the kid who's all alone. Yes, whatever help she had gotten wasn't enough, but that doesn't mean she was getting as much help as she could have gotten.


You call them cold and callous but those remarks (at least the ones that have legitimate points) are the other side of situations that no one wants to talk about. They need to be said, it helps us understand why people do things like this to themselves. If we didn't have remarks looking at more than just blaming the bullies, people with mental issues would have a much worse time in this world because everyone would be treating them like glass instead of trying to understand them. Amanda Todd must not have known how to her feeling into words that would help others understand her plight, because that would have helped miles beyond posting a YouTube video on cue cards. I'm sorry if I sound cold but that is the honest truth. You're talking to a guy who in the 3rd grade literally saw a man shoot another man dead in the streets near school. A person who has helped suicidal friends stay alive. A guy who had one of his old friends murdered only one year ago. I'm not saying I'm more qualified than you when it comes to situations that are grim, I'm just more used to them. So I feel no shame talking about what the parents, schools, bullies, blackmailer, and the victim did to result in this. This is a tragedy, nothing but.
Again, it's not the people talking about more than blaming the bullies that I'm taking an issue with. It's the people who are saying she's the only one at fault here, that she's the one who should shoulder all of the blame, and that because she was weak, there's no reason to feel any sympathy about this because they were "stronger" and could live through whatever bullying they might have received, as if it automatically invalidates the fact that this girl was bullied. There are a whole hell of a lot of people at fault here, and blaming it all on the girl herself for being too "weak" to get through it is just abhorrent.
 

Iscariot6794

New member
Jul 1, 2011
20
0
0
wookiee777 said:
I might be called an asshole for this, but here is my views on this story of "bullycide" and every story of "bullycide":


EDIT: Relevant part starts at 3:36

You may not agree with everything TJ says here, but I think here he is fair and realistic about bullying. Fight back and learn to deal with conflict because it will come up again and again in life. The girl this thread is about should not have killed herself and should have figured out how to deal with things. And it seems like she almost did the third time she moved, until she started texting that guy. Then things got worse again.

Also, what is with October and suicide?
Why do you make the assumption that everyone is as equally capable of dealing with things as you are?

Would you let a random stranger on the street making assumptions about the unending complexity and depth and scope of your life, your goals, your problems?

Now I don't expect you to be able to know any of that, but I do think that you ought to at least acknowledge that there are incredibly large chunks of information that you lack to be able to make a statement like yours.

I'm sure if you were bullied, and your perception of the world was one of hopeless and seemingly unending frustration, and you killed yourself, it wouldn't really matter if you should have figured out how to deal with things.

Just think a bit more before you make statements like that, please.
 

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
154
0
0
Fappy said:
This is exactly why I am going to strictly monitor my kids' internet usage (when I have them of course). There are far too many spineless fucks out there. I hope everyone directly responsible for this girl's depression learns from this. In a perfect world they'd get eaten by yetis, but we don't always get what we want it seems.

That video was fucking depressing. I need a hug :(
/hug :)

It sure was depressing.
So she did commit a suicide after all. Poor choice... It's never a good choice, it doesn't help you at all (You'll never know what life((possibly good things)) had in store for you) and makes all relatives and people who care about you miserable. Been there. (Was my dad, luckily he didn't succeed).
I find the fact that no one noticed her pain until now quite sad. Would this've been news if she didn't die? That's sickening. Someone should make a website to promote such "cries for help"-videos so that social workers and policemen could take action before it's too late!

My condolences to the family.
Hopefully her death wasn't in vain and in the future these kind of situations can be prevented.
 

Thyunda

New member
May 4, 2009
2,955
0
0
BloatedGuppy said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
What I'm saying is that people need to hold a bit of their compassion back and look at the whole picture. Compassion can cause people to do crazy things. That can't be denied. I'm not saying, don't feel feelings, but keep them in check as best you can. It's nearly impossible for a mob to do that though...
And what I'm saying, again, is that compassion is not the problem. The mob does not want to find Cory or Kody in order to be compassionate to them. There is certainly an emotion driving the desire to find and hurt these guys, but it's not compassion.

AzrealMaximillion said:
She got caught and beaten up for it. That comes with the territory.
Yeah, I'm sorry, but this is bullshit. Putting aside that teenage relationships are not exactly graven in stone or sacred ground, getting beaten in a 15 on 1 altercation does not "come with the territory" of infidelity. I've been cheated on. If the individual who cheated on me (or slept with the girl I was seeing) had been beaten viciously by a flash mob I would not have shrugged and said "comes with the territory!". For fucks sake. You're going on a tirade about mob justice, and you're hand waving this as being part and parcel of teenage infidelity. Cheating sucks, but it's just a shit heel act, and most of the blame lies with the person in the relationship anyway. Beating someone is a crime. Beating someone with a mob of friends at your back is a disgusting crime.
Guppy I like you, you speak sense. Cheating is one thing. Beating up your partner's lover is another thing. That's understandable. Knowingly sleep with somebody's girl/guy and you can expect the partner to be pissed off. But fifteen on one? That's horse shit.



As for my own opinion. Well, I'm sure a fair proportion of us have been bullied. I'm absolutely certain I'm not the only 'weirdkid' in here. And yeah, while Amanda Todd wasn't the paradigm of humanity, she certainly didn't deserve the abuse. Worse still, we have all this fucking VAGUE sympathy surrounding her, all by people who we KNOW will just go back to mocking the freaks in their class, or their workplace. Oh it's so sad she killed herself, you people are monsters for doing this to her! Nobody really gives a fuck, and it's a hell of a faux pas to acknowledge that fact.

So. How do rational people react when they see sympathy? Oh that's right. They refer to Amanda as an "Alcoholic, drug-abusing attention-whore", as though the alcohol and drugs were the problem and not the symptom.
 

GameMaNiAC

New member
Sep 8, 2010
599
0
0
Okay, that was incredibly depressing. And I feel bad I couldn't have done anything to help, even though I do not even know the girl. If only I knew her, I'd try to help.

Goddamn it, this saddened me.
 

Spartan Altego

New member
Aug 7, 2012
79
0
0
And of course this all results from a stupid decision made when she was 12 involving nudity. Why am I not surprised?

Honestly, I can't be bothered to care about some random teenager killing themselves anymore. You hear this shit everyday to the point where you'd have to have a hell of a lot more sympathy in you than me to not become deadened to it. And I can't wait for the next wave of anti-bullying bullshit to rear it's head because let's be honest, it's coming.

Don't get me wrong, this shit is on the shoulders of the pathetic school system as much as the actions of an idiot girl. It's just that we've all known for years that the system is garbage, yet people keep bringing up teenage suicides and bullying like it's the newest thing since 9/11.

...

You know what? This is 88% her fault. She realizes an explicit photo of her has been released (First mistake was sending it in the first place when middle school pounds into your head that you DO NOT DO THAT): reacts so badly that she becomes depressed(Understandable), has anxiety attacks(Extreme, but ok, it was fresh bad news at the time)and starts "experimenting with drugs and alcohol." (...Wait what?)

And this is where I being losing empathy.

A year passes and she notices a Facebook page has been made with her photo and loses her friends (Which just proves that her friends either were not really friends to begin with or there's more to this shit than meets the eye). So she changes schools... then contacts a former male friend, who I'll assume is apart of the group that left her in the first place? Again, why? And this somehow transcends into a fight at school: Why? Because something tells me there's more to this, again, and it;'s just not being noted because "boohoo, suicide." In fact, how did they even fight to begin with? Weren't they at different schools?

She then tries to kill herself(Pathetic) after "torment on Facebook." (Pathetic)

Then it hits me.

What.

She's STILL USING FACEBOOK. This was HOW THE PROBLEM STARTED TO BEGIN WITH. Did she even make a new one?! Was she regularly checking the account with the photo everyday or something? It's stupidity like this that makes me sneer. Because of course, she just couldn't live without a Facebook account or didn't bother having the false account taken down? She couldn't get a Twitter account instead or, I don't know, not use a social networking site? Because how else could it still follow her around after moving cities?

Maybe I'm uninformed, maybe I'm not. I couldn't care less about this girl or the circumstances surrounding her death anyways. Kudos to all of you who do. This is obviously looking like a clear case of "blaming the victim."

It isn't. This is a massive fail on the part of the kid, the schools, and evidently law enforcement. Shared blame is shared.

But like I said, everybody knows the law system and school system is shit. They don;t bother making widespread news stories about them to make us feel sorry.
 

chozo_hybrid

Jund 'Em Out!
Jul 15, 2009
3,456
0
0
That's sad. It's so crap that with tech and the net this day and age, if something is recorded in some way, that's it, you can never live something down, kids these days have to deal with this more and more from what I read.

I see some people think it's all her own fault, but haven't you ever made a mistake when you were a teenager? Imagine if something like that got online, you never heard the end of it, it would be horrible. Hindsight is handy to those that don't make the mistake and point at those who do.

My thoughts go out to those close to her, may she at least hopefully find peace now.
 

Celtic_Kerr

New member
May 21, 2010
2,166
0
0
Everyone handles bullying in their own way I guess.

I elementary school. I was tormented on several occasions. I can't remember anything I every did wrong or to deserve it, but many schools have that kid that gets bullied because no one else is really around to take it, or because they're an easy target. I grew up relatively alone, and I clung to anyone who would show friendliness, though those same people would often make the worst jokes the moment it meant them getting cool. It was rough, confusing, and continued through most of High school.

I had suicidal thoughts for a long time, never spoke about them, and tossed myself into the most anti-social medium I could find at the time. I know I could have handled things much better.

Today, I'm the friend people go to if they have an issue. I've talked people out of taking their lives and I've talked a lot of people pout of some REALLY dark places. Suicide is NEVER the answer because as bad as life gets, there are people to talk to ans solutions to be had.

I've actually know people in my area that have accidentally had parts of them revealed. A girl in my town was pants amongst a group of friends while she was wearing no underwear. Dozens of people saw, hundreds heard about it. She went home, took a day, and returned.

My question is about the cops. A man contacted a 13 year old girl and distributed a picture of a 12 year old girl. He then once again distributed it once more a year later. How the hell was this man not imprisoned?

I don't understand... So many people to talk to, to help her. Things were getting better, and this man's girlfriend beats her up and her life immediately becomes hell. She was deeply troubled, but these incidents were rare and years apart. While I'm sad this happened, there are hundreds of cases out there every day of people being attacked and taking their lives for it, and there are dozens of cases far more severe than this. I think her just talking to people and making them understand could have saved her.
 

Celtic_Kerr

New member
May 21, 2010
2,166
0
0
Spartan Altego said:
Actually this is something I didn't mention in my rant. While I can appreciate that girl is really troubled and may have exercised horrendous judgement, she took every step to the extreme. How often are we told every month just how much of our information FB takes, even though we don't enter it?

Cops could have had his I.P address and his location quickly and apprehended him, but she underwent an emotional spiral. This entire story is from her point of view, and we don't see what happened from the outside. I doubt anyone making a 9 minute long video about how they were attacked and hated will say "I ditched my friends for drugs. I left them behind to get drunk"

Every time she made a move to leave that life behind and tried to take a step forward, she jumped back into her old life JUST as it was getting good and let it all wreck her again. Instead of texting the bf, seeing the results, and saying "I shouldn't have done that, no more", she let it rip her apart and did it all over again.

I really feel uber bad that she killed herself, because she's dead, and her family probably had no idea that there was something they can do, but I'm rendered a bit apathetic that she brought this on herself on so many occasions and there are people in situations FAR worse that they actually have no control over.