15-year old Stabs Bully 11 Times at Bus Stop, Gets Away With It

AmazingLagann

Nov 10, 2011
some people will say that the kid was going to far with the 11 stab wounds. Those people have probably never been bullied. It's easy to go from self defense to, when in a position of power, venting your hate upon someone you hated. The bully had it coming. Some scum don't deserve to live. We already have enough people on this planet as it is.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
Drop_D-Bombshell said:
I have mixed emotions on this story.

Firstly i believe that the kid had a right to defend himself, every kid does, but was stabbing him 11 times necessary. I'm sure once would have been enough.
Well probably when your pushed to the point that as a kid you want to stab someone to defend yourself adrenaline and all thats going. Probably for the same reason a ref has to seperate fighters in MMA and Boxing even after its clear one is down, because in the heat of the moment you don't realize it.

Second, why a knife, couldn't he have just battered him for a bit with a bat or something?
because a bat doesn't fit in your pocket, and generally speaking they probably wouldn't let you into school or on the bus carrying a visible bludgeoning object like a bat.

Should he get away with it? No, but he shouldn't be prosecuted as a murderer, maybe given a less harsh punishment. Seems only fair.
I am kinda in agreement on this line, I think that he probably should be given some psychiatric evaluation to make darn sure he reacted reasonably and is recovering from the trauma of the event and won't repeat his actions unprovoked.

On the other hand, I've always wondered about the family / parents of hardcore bullies. Like these people were outraged this kid didn't get convicted of murder, but were they doing anything to stop the emotional and physical damage / abuse this kid was dishing out day after day? What if the kid in the story had killed himself rather then the bully, how would the bullies family have reacted then?

I'm legitimately curious because I've kinda always believed bullies would have to come from bad family lives or something to allow them to be so cruel and heartless.

pirateninj4

Apr 6, 2009
Drop_D-Bombshell said:

Firstly i believe that the kid had a right to defend himself, every kid does, but was stabbing him 11 times necessary. I'm sure once would have been enough.

Second, why a knife, couldn't he have just battered him for a bit with a bat or something? It doesn't make sense why he would carry a knife as stab as many times as he did.

Should he get away with it? No, but he shouldn't be prosecuted as a murderer, maybe given a less harsh punishment. Seems only fair.
I was bullied as a teenager, and I can tell you that if I stabbed one of my persecutors just one time, I'd probably follow it up about 10 more times for good measure.

I'm sure it was very cathartic for him. And the douche who was bullying him got what was coming to him. Yeah it sucks for his family, but it's his fault.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009

I'm not touching THIS one with a forty foot pole either. Sheesh, these threads get me down.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
AndyFromMonday said:
Drop_D-Bombshell said:
Ok, yeah, pushed to the limit is totally understandable, similar to that Australian kid, but rage making him stab 11 times is still pushing it a little. I agree with you that he shouldn't be prosecuted, but the whole stabbing thing was not needed, once or twice, yeah ok, but not that many stabs, even while enraged.
That's what fights are like, at least during high school. You jump on the other guy and throw as many punches as you can.
Your not thinking about how many times is the "correct" amount of time to hit someone when your releasing months of pent up anger onto the cause of your problems. Though not as extreme, when I was around 8 or 9 there was a bully who would always harass me with a group of other kids and I'll admit, they always made me cry. One day I just said, "Screw this" and went outside found him and beat the S*** out of him. He moved away, problem solved. I wasn't thinking about how much I was hitting him but I'll admit I did fight off a strong urge to grab a nearby rock...and now that I think about it I purposely tackled him into the grass instead of a close pile of rocks....ok maybe he could've aimed for the arm or something. Then again I was always a rational person.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Drop_D-Bombshell said:

Second, why a knife, couldn't he have just battered him for a bit with a bat or something? It doesn't make sense why he would carry a knife as stab as many times as he did.
I agree with you in theory, but one stab wound isn't necessarily hard to come back from. In the words of Mass Effect 2's Zaeed Massani, "rage is a hell of an anesthetic."

When I was stabbed in the leg by a mugger, I punched him out, then limped home to clean my wound with vodka, stop the bleeding and lie down.

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
Drop_D-Bombshell said:

a bat requires brute strength and is easier to take away from an opponent than a knife.

Angus565

Mar 21, 2009
That's kinda fucked up...
I've been bullied before, and I understand how horribly crushing it is but surely there are better ways to take a stand then stabbing someone to death.

Silas13013

Mar 31, 2011
Drop_D-Bombshell said:

Ever seen a war movie where the rookie soldier keeps attacking a long dead enemy? That happens in real life too, when the events are so traumatizing that they lose all control of what is going on and what they are doing.

Now I'm not excusing what he did, just providing some background info.

Anyway, do I think he should get off scott-free? No, but there is obviously some psychological damage due to the number of times he stabbed the bully. He needs help more than punishment but to just get away with it completely is also not helpful

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
paranoia.precinct said:
AndyFromMonday said:
paranoia.precinct said:
There's a big difference between an emotional problem and a psychological defect, I get kinda angry when parents try to protect their violent sociopathic kids (ie: bullies) (though I do understand Some bullies ARE emotionally damaged and could be helped)who are then allowed to grow into violent sociopathic adults. I just get the feeling the parents are in deep denial. But what can be done...
It's a mixture of the two when it comes to bullies to be honest. Of course the parents are in denial, their son was just killed. Even if the guy was an asshat, he was still their son and when someone that is so precious to you dies it's understandable for them to react this way.
I understand the after, just not the before. They Lived with him, why didn't they see it BEFORE anything happened, before the survivor got bullied. I'm saying they were in denial while he was growing up. I might not be saying it right.
Well, nobody likes looking at their fuck ups. Especially when you've fucked up arguably the most important thing you've ever done. Better to pretend it's fine and dandy.

Or, you could just get your shit together the moment the pregnancy test turns positive. Parents these days...

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
AndyFromMonday said:
The judge dismissed all charges brought up against him, saying it was all in self defense.
This is probably the most heartening piece of news I have read in months.

SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
OT: He should be persecuted as a murderer, because that is what he is. From what I can tell, the self defense thing doesnt really fly this time, so yeah. Maybe a lighter punishment, but a punishment fitting a murderer none the less.
It genuinely frustrates me that society cares so much about what is and isn't an appropriate response to someone else violating your rights, your property, or your personage. Is stabbing a bully the right response? Probably not. But if the bully had simply refrained from repeatedly assaulting a fellow human, he would have remained unperforated. Is shooting someone who breaks into your house to steal goods an 'appropriate' response? I don't really care. Just don't try to steal things that don't belong to you in the first place. You don't accidentally bully someone, or rape someone, or murder someone.

Frankly, I'm absolutely fine with open season being declared on those who violate social contract at a fundamental level.

Vegosiux said:
To be frank, TestECull is looking a lot more mature and intelligent than you in this thread.

boyvirgo666

May 12, 2009
AndyFromMonday said:
Drop_D-Bombshell said:

Knives are usually easier to get a hold of and conceal. When people start harassing you it's hard to control you rage which is why I believe the guy ended up stabbing the bully 11 times. I agree with the judge's ruling by the way, he might have had a choice but honestly, prosecuting a teenager that is clearly mentally disturbed from years of being bullied on the counts of manslaughter is not the right thing to do.
Also he was clearly in the right here. The kid who was bullying him had this shit coming.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Sentox6 said:
Vegosiux said:
To be frank, TestECull is looking a lot more mature and intelligent than you in this thread.
Yes, thank you for the meaningful contribution to the thread, I am sure this is very relevant. Tally ho to you too.

Hides His Eyes

Jul 26, 2011
He should be prosecuted for having a knife with him, whether or not the actual killing was self defence.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
If this was a kid who had gotten screwed over by bullies for a long time -- and not just "he called me fat," but ones that were genuinely threatening him with physical violence, I can completely understand why he would carry a weapon. The problem with that is, though, that you can't point a weapon at someone and not use it. It's like if you have a gun -- for one, you should respect that weapon enough to keep it stowed. If you point it at someone, you must be willing to use it. For another, the moment that weapon is out, either you have to use it, or the other guy is going to take it, and suddenly you're incredibly screwed. Even if the guy was just going to mess you up before, he might be so pissed off or unthinking that he kills you with what you had for defense.

For those who say "11 times is a lot," I echo everyone else who says it isn't. But we've heard the "arms move fast" argument -- here's the other. Adrenaline makes you not think. The idea is that if a big predator is coming, and you have to fight, you're going to do it based on gross motor skills and instincts. Average Joe has no ability to really control what he's doing once the fight is on. He can choose to not fight (not an option for this kid, clearly, because he tried and failed), he can choose to curl up in a ball once the fight starts (a terrible plan if someone is clearly intent on threatening your life), or you can do Something. What Something is, is determined mostly by your animal instincts and your subconscious, because you're going to do whatever comes to muscle memory first. Depending on who you are, it might be a punch; it might be picking up a big stick and swinging; it might be martial arts. If you have a knife, and it's in your hand, you're going to use it, and you're not going to stop using it until the threat is gone, and odds are you're not going to even remember what you really did in that span of time. People have been shot or stabbed and end up blocks away from where the fight happened, only to suddenly realize consciously that they were running away at top speed and have been going for a while and, oh wait, I'm bleeding all over myself from a big knife wound in my leg, this kind of sucks, maybe I should call 911 before I fall over and die on the sidewalk.

Also, being stabbed, while it sucks a lot, is not going to stop someone unless it's to somewhere major. Sure, he stabbed the guy in the gut, but it was a pocketknife, those are fairly small, and the angles might not have been deep. If you just cut a guy's muscle, unless you sever something mostly or completely, the guy is just going to get pissed. If you take out an artery or something, then it gets serious. As I was always taught, you fight until the guy is done. The point at which he's no threat is the point at which you quit. This doesn't usually mean "dead" -- most of the time it means "unconscious" or "in too much pain to fight" or "fleeing" or something. But if the only option for this kid was to keep going, if they were grappling close or something, then it might have been that at some point, stabbing him 12 times was what it really took to win.

In short, the kid did exactly what nature told him to, and he had a lot of odds stacked against him, and once he was in the fight (that he didn't start), what he did in his defensive panic might not even have been under his conscious control.

If a guy wants your money, you give him your money. If a guy wants your life, you take him out. I can't say I give the kid props for actually killing the guy, but I do give him props for defending himself, and I also don't think he should be tried as a murderer. Manslaughter, okay, I can see that. And I certainly think he should be encouraged (or even instructed) to receive psychiatric help for his issues related to the bullying, and also to the fact that *he just killed a person.* But he didn't just walk in there trying to pick a fight so he could kill a guy.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Sounds like Dylan was a real ****, but the kid shouldn't have let it get to the point where he was having to carry a knife around. On the other hand, if you drive someone to that point then I'd say there's a case to be made, especially if he did try and get away once, and the guy was going to beat the shit out of him. You have to take into account not just the bullying, but knowing that he has killed someone - something which is most likely going to weigh heavily over him, in spite of hating the guy.

I'm not a fan of REVEEEEENGGGGAAAAA! based 'punishment' or an eye-for-an-eye attitude, but I can't really see the verdict you would give on this.

I guess he should receive some sort of punishment for having the knife on him; that's what leans it uncomfortably into the REVENGA! zone.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
I have no sympathies for a person who willfully psychologically and/or physically abuses another person.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I think that the self defense was perfectly alright... Even if he did go a bit overboard while carrying it out.

There is a lot of psychological matters we have to acknowledge, and I don't think anyone can go through them all. But for the bully to get into his head and mentally torture him that much that the victim had to conceal a knife in preparation for his imminent beating, somethings quite wrong... If the bully caused that much fear and trauma in the victim to even consider that, i'm pretty fucking sure he had a reason to want to protect himself to the extent he did...

I wouldn't say the bully got what he deserved, he got what was coming to him. It sounds from the story that the victim was really toyed around with by the bully, so what was he supposed to do? Sit down and take the violent beatings for another few years? No, he defended himself the only way he could... He couldn't fight back with his fists, so he used a weapon.

And don't say that he should of told an adult... Come on... That maybe worked with little squabbles on the playground when you were 7, but a full blown bullying routine? When has that ever fucking worked? If anything, it would of made everything a whole lot worse. The only thing that could stop the bully was a taste of his own medicine, too bad the victim couldn't give him his own medicine, so he applied a stronger dosage. I feel no sympathy for the bully at all, nor respect.