My Bad Date With a PS3

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
My Bad Date With a PS3

Susan Arendt goes on a date to the movies with her PS3, and lives to regret it.

Read Full Article

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I'm loving CS so far, one of my favorite columns on the site. And this one didn't disappoint; it was like a friendly, sensible rant of unadulterated fury. Thank you for helping me get over my hesitation of buying a 360 over a PS3.

Though a little less thankful for bringing back memories of going to the theater, sitting down as the room darkens, watching previews of movies I could care less about, then getting giddy as all of a sudden a familiar bassline starts playing, only to be greeted by a preview for a live-action catastrophe *eyeroll*

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Huh, I dunno what to tell you, I know the PS3 has bigger files which probably causes longer downloads, but are you on Wi-Fi or something? Cuz my PSN downloads are fine.

Oh, and the PS3 has had different faceplates for a while, the PSN store is basically the counter to XBLA (I'm surprised you haven't downloaded almost all of it, but then again PS3 doesn't like your internet) and such, and I don't like the 360's look even with the faceplates on - it looks like an old Dell computer.

Now "achievements and gamerscore" I don't like, at all, I don't even like Escapist's badges so I just won't go further on that.

Anyway, sorry to hear that your PS3 hates you.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I like watching movie previews, they show me what's going to be a heap load of bullshit :D

But that does suck with the downloading, I always background my downloads and wait but the times are a bit mixed for me, ranging between a few minutes to a few hours.

Besides, I'd hate you if you didn't "use" me for months on months end...

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
1) You can only rent HD content. AFAIK, none is available for purchase.

2) You seem to have a very slow connection, because the only 3 hour dl I've had was for the HD rental of Hannibal. That was >6GB. Personally, I wait until a video is at 60% before I start watching it, and that goes for my PC as well. Perhaps this is an example of "the soft bigotry of lowered expectations", but I do the same with non-streamed video on the web. for a Buffy episode, this means waiting about 15 minutes after starting before I watch it. I usually use this time to queue up other vids, or check if my PSP needs an update (natch!). The only way I can think of for Sony to have any way of improving DL speeds is charging for the network, which won't happen. So, I compare this service to what my PC offers, and because it's on my TV, it's superior. What are DL speeds like on XBL, and is there a difference between a Live Gold DL and a vanilla Live DL? I didn't see any metrics other than an anecdotal "impression" that XBL vids are better in the consumption. I would like to hear more concrete comparisons.

3) I've seen industry folks complain about the firmware updates on both the PS3 and the PSP, and you've seen my comments. ;) Seriously, if you leave your console off for months, you are going to have to download an update. The complaints have always sounded a bit manufactured to me. I happen to prefer the frequent updates to the alternative: none at all. Can you perhaps give a comparative impression of the update process on the X360/Wii? The DS?

I'm not trying to invalidate your experience; I'm sure you're being accurate about your feelings and that your frustration is genuine. I'm just saying that, just like that relationship that never started, you do have to invest something to get anything out of a relationship. And, just like trying to catch up with an old but not-quite-familiar acquaintance can be uncomfortable or awkward at first, things get easier as you spend more time together and recognize the true benefits of what seemed detrimental at first. I'm sure the reverse experience could be had with someone who prefers their PS3 to the X360 if that person spent the majority of their time with the PS3.

My real criticism of the PS3s video download service is that the downloads seem to be one-time only. When you download games, they go on a list and you can re-download them to the same system an unlimited number of times. This is great if you have HD issues and need to reformat, or if you replace your HD without doing a backup first. Fortunately, I have confirmed that the PS3 backup feature saves your downloaded content. Unfortunately, that is the only current way to ensure you don't have to call support if anything happens to your HD.

I would ask that you try again, but don't wait 2-6 months before you do it. It was unpleasant this time, I hear you. the first time I used the service it was disappointing, so I'm empathetic to your first impression. Subsequent usage has changed my mind. It may do the same for you.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Jumplion post=6.69907.674438 said:
I like watching movie previews, they show me what's going to be a heap load of bullshit :D

But that does suck with the downloading, I always background my downloads and wait but the times are a bit mixed for me, ranging between a few minutes to a few hours.

Besides, I'd hate you if you didn't "use" me for months on months end...
Maybe that's it. Maybe my PS3 is just throwing a snit and messing with me because it feels neglected.

@Saint Waldo -- not sure what your point about renting vs. purchasing is, though to be perfectly clear, I rented the Standard edition, I did not purchase it.

That is one benefit that the PS3 has over the 360 when it comes to the video service -- you can buy the movies, and have them on your hard drive to watch and re-watch as you see fit. The 360 only has rentals.

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
When I'm downloading stuff on my PS3 I can hear the *drip* *drip* *drip* of my wasted life.
I had a bad date with my PS3 when I first met it, too. It took me to the back row of the cinema and promised me "good stuff". I've been waiting six months for said stuff, and still not much stuff.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Susan Arendt post=6.69907.674502 said:
@Saint Waldo -- not sure what your point about renting vs. purchasing is, though to be perfectly clear, I rented the Standard edition, I did not purchase it.

That is one benefit that the PS3 has over the 360 when it comes to the video service -- you can buy the movies, and have them on your hard drive to watch and re-watch as you see fit. The 360 only has rentals.
In the article you said, "I could buy the HD version for $4.99 or standard-definition for a dollar less". I'm pointing out that perhaps you mean "rent" not "buy", because you cannot buy any HD versions that I can find, only rent them.

The ownership issue seems important, to me, at least. :)

No accusations of bias here, just trying to keep it all on the up-and-up.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Alphavillain post=6.69907.674506 said:
When I'm downloading stuff on my PS3 I can hear the *drip* *drip* *drip* of my wasted life.
I had a bad date with my PS3 when I first met it, too. It took me to the back row of the cinema and promised me "good stuff". I've been waiting six months for said stuff, and still not much stuff.
Are you sure you wanted a PS3 and not a Real Doll?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
SaintWaldo post=6.69907.674523 said:
Susan Arendt post=6.69907.674502 said:

In the article you said, "I could buy the HD version for $4.99 or standard-definition for a dollar less". I'm pointing out that perhaps you mean "rent" not "buy", because you cannot buy any HD versions that I can find, only rent them.

The ownership issue seems important, to me, at least. :)

No accusations of bias here, just trying to keep it all on the up-and-up.
Hair-splitting at its finest. But I'll make the edit, lest I create confusion.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Susan Arendt post=6.69907.674536 said:
Hair-splitting at its finest. But I'll make the edit, lest I create confusion.
"Nitpick" classification accepted. Editing appreciated.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Funny, I had a very similar experience with my 360. I tried renting a movie, only to have it take four days, then just stop downloading as it reached the half way mark. Not impressed. I now play my PS3 a lot more than I used to, I always feel like I'm entertaining my 360 now, instead of the other way round.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Eagle Est1986 post=6.69907.674576 said:
Funny, I had a very similar experience with my 360. I tried renting a movie, only to have it take four days, then just stop downloading as it reached the half way mark. Not impressed. I now play my PS3 a lot more than I used to, I always feel like I'm entertaining my 360 now, instead of the other way round.
Really, four days? Or is that hyperbole? If it takes too long you can stop and restart the download.

And I don't see why not being able to watch a movie prevents you from playing a game. Unless you're the kind of idiot (no offense) that thinks of computing devices as more than a highly complex machine, by which I mean something intelligent with a personality and emotions capable of having a grudge or being spiteful.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
To better answer another point raised by SaintWaldo. It's quite possible that future forays into the world of PSN video might be less frustrating, but what's my incentive to try? I can get virtually all of the same content on XBL with no hassle at all. I've never, ever had to wait for a movie I've downloaded from Xbox Live the way I had to wait for Spiderwick. If I have two video services offering the same content, and one is easy to use and one is not, what sense does it make to ever use the latter?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
I didn't choose the option that would cause the most problems -- that would've been the HD version, which I did not select. Also, why would I possibly think that my internet connection would be an issue, when performing the exact same function on my 360 had never caused a problem?

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
Eldritch Warlord post=6.69907.674783 said:
And I don't see why not being able to watch a movie prevents you from playing a game. Unless you're the kind of idiot (no offense) that thinks of computing devices as more than a highly complex machine, by which I mean something intelligent with a personality and emotions capable of having a grudge or being spiteful.
"Thank you Machine Spirit for our safe arrival."

All these bloody things have their own distinct personality. Get two Dell computers, same config and you'll start to see subtle differences in what they can or can't do over time.