Max Payne Movie Still Looks Awesome

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Max Payne Movie Still Looks Awesome

The second trailer for the upcoming movie based on the Max Payne games has been released, and it still looks awesome.

It's not vastly different from the first trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/84948-First-Max-Payne-Movie-Trailer-Released], but it provides a few additional glimpses of what could be greatness. If you didn't know this was a videogame movie....well, you wouldn't know this was a videogame movie.

See for yourself:

[gametrailers=258567 user=1]

Call me a wide-eyed optimist, but this might just end up being the best videogame movie ever made. No, really. We'll find out for sure when it's released on October 17th.

p1ne

Nov 20, 2007
You're a wide-eyed optimist. :p

I'll watch this, but I don't expect it to be any better than your average game movie. A movie based on a game that's itself based on a lot of different movies? Not exactly a recipe for originality. The only thing that can save it is a good story, but you can't tell that by watching the trailer.

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
I have to admit I'm kinda disappointed with the amount of surreal elements they're shoving into the movie. I'm a huge Max Payne and "noir style" fan; but the fun thing about the narrative (other than the whole "noir cop" feel) was that most of what didn't seemed true was part of Payne's head. I won't be happy if they bring actual demons into the story.

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Hasn't a certain leading actor already sounded off about how its going to be bigger than Dark Knight?

Nov 28, 2007
^Meh, don't let that affect the quality of the movie. I'm personally "cautiously optimistic". It looks good, it's definitely well directed, but if those Valkyries turn out to be real and not just in Max's head...

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Hopefuly the movie will come out decent enough. I'm being cautiously optimistic, but I've been wrong before. Hopefully not this time.

N-Sef

Jun 21, 2008
I'm wholly optimistic, the action looks solid enough and I'm really liking Mark Wahlberg as Max. The whole Valkyrie thing BETTER be some sort of symbolism.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
N-Sef post=7.69991.678688 said:
I'm wholly optimistic, the action looks solid enough and I'm really liking Mark Wahlberg as Max. The whole Valkyrie thing BETTER be some sort of symbolism.
It seems to be put to a whole new level of solid. One falls through a window, but he's being pulled by a winged creature. Another person flies into a wall at an impossible speed...
Kult?

maxusy3k

May 17, 2008
It's possible the Valkyries are symbolic of the drug's effects, maybe. Like the Valkyrie pulling the guy out of that window, that could just be some junkie taking a jump or whatever.

Payne wasn't set up as a supernatural thriller, but... that said... if the departure from the source material is well executed then I don't see any reason this shouldn't be fantastic.

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
Hmm....

Could be worth the $20 to get into a movie theatre today, but, I don't get my hopes up for game flicks.

RedElectric

May 2, 2008
There is no reason there should be ANY people with wings in that movie. At all.

Well the only exception would be a rather artistic take on the whole 'fear that gives men wings' line. Even then...even then...

Slave21

Sep 1, 2008
Yeah, the flying creatures are Valkyries - they appear to people who use Valkyr, a drug made by Aesir for the military (Deep Six project) to replicate the effects of berserker rage in soldiers. The basic storyline is the same as in the first game but with little tweaks here and there.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
My hopes have been raised since the first trailer, andnow I'm of the opinion that the movie could very awesome, or such a disappointment.

It's hard to tell, though it does look like the Valkyrie thing is going to be either symbolic or hallucinations created by the drugs/max's tormented mind. Don't ask me how, but the way it's shown in the trailer gives me that impression(possibly them blowing the roof off above maxs head does seem a bit much to be real).

Slave21

Sep 1, 2008
Constantine - was a nice graphic novel adaptation - no complaints here .

Worth 6$ to find out ! :)