PAX 2008: LittleBigPlanet Hands-On Preview

Adam LaMosca

Aug 7, 2006
PAX 2008: LittleBigPlanet Hands-On Preview

Sony had time for a brief Q&A after the demo. Their PR rep told us players will be able to build their own levels right from the start. Playing the 50 developer-built single player levels included on the retail disc will gradually unlock new content, including themed building materials, enemies, vehicle components, and sackboy gear. At launch LittleBigPlanet will also feature plenty of downloadable content built by participants of the current closed beta.

Players will be able to set publishing rights for their own levels, and can limit the distribution of their content to friends or individual users. They'll also be able to keep them solely on their hard disk, where they can invite online players to jump in and try them out. Sony described LittleBigPlanet's content sharing model as similar to YouTube's, and said that although they'll have built-in filters for mature or inappropriate content, they'll also be depending on the community to flag questionable material as it gets uploaded for sharing.

Not surprisingly, Sony PR says developer Media Molecule's plans for LittleBigPlanet include providing players with a steady stream of new content. They wouldn't talk specifics, but said they're partnering with other companies to bring third-party themed content into LittleBigPlanet. The Sony rep mentioned Disney, for example - being careful to note that it was just an example - as a company that LittleBigPlanet could conceivably partner up with to provide new content. He also mentioned that other Sony game-related IP would probably find its way into the game. Even so, Sony noted, they're determined to keep LittleBigPlanet's unique style and presentation intact, so they won't be replacing sackboy with other characters or introducing content that would weaken their own brand.

LittleBigPlanet appears no less appealing or intriguing than it did at the 2007 Game Developer's Conference, where its debut stole the show. Due out for the PlayStation 3 on October 21, 2008, it's looks like it's on track to be the console's next killer app.

slyder35

Jan 16, 2008
Originally my upcoming PS3 purchase was solely intended for LBP. However my impatience won and I got a MGS4 package. Nothing short of incredible is all I can say about that game. Add GTA4 + Ratchet&Clank + the PSN indie games = I've already got my money's worth. LBP will be the thick and sweet layer of icing on the cake that I'll be licking for months after release. And don't deny you've never licked icing instead of eating it......

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Its slick, presented well and offers and entirely new concept; something that the indie audience of the PS3 has been waiting for. It is impossible for LBP not to be a big hit; its just a pity its a PlayStation exclusive.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
I can't even look at the box art without grinning like a crazy, really looking forward to this game.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Definitely agree. Got a chance to check it out myself, and it's a very, very solid title. Without a doubt one of my favorites from PAX.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
CRAP! How come i didn't know about this thread?!?! Oh right, the ZP videos keep me away...

And there's a closed beta?!? Fucking hell! Why am I not in that?!?!

The cover art for the case makes me cry with happyness.

In short:
Want. Want! WANT! God! Can't october come any sooner?

yzzlthtz

May 1, 2008
if the millions of creatures in the sporepedia are any indication of player's desire to create and share, then this game should do very well.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Disney can't partner with LBP, they'd sue everyone who downloads it.

lol [http://www.instantrimshot.com/]

PurpleRain post=6.70197.684365 said:
Susan Arendt said:
Must....have....SACKBOY!
Eww. Keep it in your pants.
NO, this is an LBP hype thread because LBP is gonna be awesome.

SACKBOY ON MY FACE PLZ!