PAX 2008: Prince of Persia Demo, Announcement

Adam LaMosca

Aug 7, 2006
PAX 2008: Prince of Persia Demo, Announcement

As the level progressed the Prince and Elika made their way toward a glowing blue emblem, fighting and pursuing a hostile, claw-wielding enemy that Mattes referred to as The Hunter. Mattes said the game will focus on single-enemy encounters, but he didn't talk much about how the combat worked. The fighting was certainly impressive, featuring all sorts of sweeping, cinematic camera movement. The Prince switched between offensive and defensive melee tactics and occasionally worked with Elika in spectacularly acrobatic fashion. I have no idea how the game's combat actually works, but it looks amazing.

Once they defeated the creature, Elika activated the blue emblem and the world around the characters was transformed, in another scene reminiscent of Okami, from a dark desert wasteland into a bright, idyllic setting. Here, Mattes went "off-script," as he put it, and showed how the landscape now included luminous orbs called "light seeds" that function as the game's currency. Mattes explained that the light seeds were hidden throughout the game, often in hard-to-reach places, and could be collected to unlock new abilities for the Prince and Elika.

The entire demo was really quite captivating, even if it left numerous questions about the game's story and gameplay unanswered. The only time the magic seemed to fade were a couple of occasions when the Prince and Elika spoke and the Prince came off sounding a bit on the smart-alecky side. It's too early to know where Ubisoft's headed with his character, and they've certainly taken the Prince in unappealing directions in the past (see: Warrior Within). For now I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and hope that they've crafted the game's story and characters with the same care they seem to have applied to its visuals.

After wrapping up the demo, Mattes announced a special collaboration between Penny Arcade creators Jerry Holkins Mike Krahulik to create a special 32-page comic tie-in to the new game. The comic will provide context to the game's story in the form of a childhood tale told to Elika by her grandmother. Mattes showed a few pieces of concept art from the comic, emphasizing Ubisoft's close cooperation with Holkins and Krahulik and his own heartfelt enthusiasm for their work on the project.

The comic will appear online at the rate of a page per day, beginning on a yet-to-be disclosed date. Mattes announced that players who preorder Prince of Persia will automatically be upgraded to the limited edition version of the game, which will include a print version of the comic. Mattes didn't give a firm date, but Prince of Persia's release has previously been announced for late 2008 for the PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
I've been following this game for awhile, but to hear that it really actually seems to be coming together from this website makes me more confident. Gametrailers, IGN, all of those have a vested interst in the game being good so they can gush about it. Escaspist, well, if it's good, great, but if it's not, also great (One way, we can all rave about it's awesomeness, the other, we can all lament about squandered potential and laugh at Yahtzee's inevitable rant about it... I hope).

Nohbodie

Aug 31, 2008
Can't wait until this game comes out. I've been a die hard fan of the prince ever since I stumbled upon the first prince of persia game for ps2. Hell I actually went through the trouble of learning to run up walls just so I could be a fraction of the awesome he was.