Son of Return to the Sequel II

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Son of Return to the Sequel II

Sequels are a necessary part of the gaming business, but that doesn't mean they have to be boring rehashes of the Same Old Thing.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I stopped reading momentarily after the first sentence. Fatal Frame IV? Excuse me? Who, what, where, how, and of course when!? I swear, how these things manage to slip past me...

And now, back to reading the article...

Fantastic ending, and your thought on Max Payne is almost the exact same argument I'd make for the television series 24.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Hm, i just saw an academic lecture today by a guy named "shamus," but he spells it seamus.

Bose einstien condensates are teh sexxar

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
I find the cliff hanger approach doesn't work because instead of buying the squeal, I just look it up on Wikipedia.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Some ideas work well to serialize as sequels, others do not, and even those that do serialize, they usually have a limited lifetime over which it makes sense to do so. The problem that I see is that game developers are getting to the point where they are writing a Piers Anthony series; the story ended after the first, second, or third book, yet the series continues to drag on for 3-4 more books. The trick is knowing when it's time to stop and come up with something new.

Even so being, I do wonder about the concept of episodic gaming. Granted this flies in the face of the author's complaint about cliff-hanger endings, but the intent is not to simply bilk the market for cash; rather the intent is to allow the creation of ever larger, highly detailed game worlds while allowing the developer to better control cost and risk. Of course, this requires the gamer to understand going into the game that he is not supposed to see a completely conclusive ending until some later point.

In my opinion, the current model of a singular effort to create a singular, monolithic epic game has reached the limits of applicability to create compelling gaming experiences for current gamers. Basically, a game developer only has so many resources available over a given time period, so only just so much can be done. Segmenting the game into episodes can help the developer create a focused, detailed experience at each episode because the entirety of the game world does not have to be created all at once. Instead, the developer can reveal the world in expanding layers that only have to be created when needed. Also, the developer can develop the game and its world only as far as the market supports, rather than having to bet-the-farm with every game. This can help the developer better control the cost and risk of creating extremely large game worlds.

Of course, episodic gaming does not work with every game, but it may work with a number of games, particularly RPGs.

Jul 9, 2008
In the subject of endings which you addressed, I think this is something Mass Effect did well. They give you a cliffhanger, but they also rap up the story of Saren and Sovereign in a satisfying way.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
orannis62 said:
In the subject of endings which you addressed, I think this is something Mass Effect did well. They give you a cliffhanger, but they also rap up the story of Saren and Sovereign in a satisfying way.
This is true. One of the only games that has both cliffhangery-nonsense and resolution.

That Max Payne idea is actually really good... having a single character that isn't recycled as they are reinvented each game.

unangbangkay

Oct 10, 2007
Look, Mr. Young, I was as pissed-off as you about the ending to Neverwinter Nights 2, but I implore you to pick up the Mask of the Betrayer expansion. It nails the sequel idea you liked so much about the Final Fantasy franchise, but still manages to involve your character without needing the any particular detail from the ending to function, and still deliver one of the best RPG stories since Torment. Really.

Nunka

Oct 10, 2007
Shamus Young said:
I was really into the plot of Dreamfall at the time, but that was back in 2006. When the game ended, I was angry and frustrated with the lack of closure. I might have been willing to run out and buy the sequel right then, but today? I've forgotten most of it. If the sequel - which still doesn't exist - were to appear in my lap right now, I wouldn't have any great urge to play it. I can't remember the characters, the sub plots, or even what was going on when the story was yanked away. I don't care anymore. And I certainly wouldn't want to open myself up to the chance that I would get re-invested in the world, only to be frustrated yet again.
As a dedicated Song of Ice & Fire fan, I've learned to deal with insane amounts of time between each installment. So... I didn't mind Dreamfall's cliffhanger at all.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
meatloaf231 said:
orannis62 said:
This is true. One of the only games that has both cliffhangery-nonsense and resolution.

That Max Payne idea is actually really good... having a single character that isn't recycled as they are reinvented each game.
I was happy with the ending to Mass Effect as well. It wrapped up the immediate threat. I didn't mind that they hinted at bigger problems, as long as I get to finish what I started in THIS game.

And I'd love it if we got another Max Payne game. I'm really surprised they didn't try to put out a new one to coincide with the movie.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Thank you Mr. Young, I'm glad someone here actually gets that not all sequels are bad, some are yes, and cliff hanger endings need to DIE!

Granted originality is good, but there's nothing wrong with a refined formula, that is taking the ideas of the first title, but getting them right this time.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
The Final Fantasy series is almost unique in how it does sequels. You get the namesake sequels: I - XII, which keep similar names and general game play (some will face the inevitable change.) But then you got the strange sub-series sequels, spin-offs, and prequels (X-2, FFXII Revenant Wings, FFVII Crisis Core, etc.)

geizr said:
Of course, this requires the gamer to understand going into the game that he is not supposed to see a completely conclusive ending until some later point.
I'm looking at you, Valve.

geizr said:
In my opinion, the current model of a singular effort to create a singular, monolithic epic game has reached the limits of applicability to create compelling gaming experiences for current gamers.
I disagree. The problem here is risk. VERY few companies will actually put forth an effort to create something original, instead rehashing tried-and-true game play with some tacked on story or different camera position.

Unless by singular you mean individual. Then that is a whole different set of problems.

Shamus Young said:
And I'd love it if we got another Max Payne game. I'm really surprised they didn't try to put out a new one to coincide with the movie.
A game based movie based game....That seems oddly perplexing,like a chocolate layer cake where one layer is beef. You know something definitely went wrong in the process, and are rather nervous about trying it.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
DeadlyYellow said:
A game based movie based game....That seems oddly perplexing,like a chocolate layer cake where one layer is beef. You know something definitely went wrong in the process, and are rather nervous about trying it.
There was Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game, so it's been done before at least once.

jmpatt

Nov 25, 2008
First, strangely it sounds like the perfect sort of sequel has been mastered by EA's Madden series...

Second, episodic gaming is a completely different beast, primarily because you know what you're getting into when you buy it. It's episodic. Don't expect everything to be resolved when you're done. Do expect the next episode to come out soon. Do be disappointed when it doesn't (that would be the half-life reference...)

As for NWN2: I see in my mind's eye a vision of a room, and in that room is a marketing manager and the lead developer of NWN2, sometime during the development process:
Manager: So, we need to figure out what the ending of this game is going to be like.
Developer: Well, I was thinking
M: and we need to really reinforce our RPG roots here.
D: OK, sounds good, we could
M: So what we need is a classic RPG-ish ending.
D: Alright, well there isn't really
M: Think of the one most memorable tabletop D&D pen-and-paper campaign ending that you've ever heard... what was it that happened?
D: Um... Rocks fall, everyone dies...
M: Great! Go with that! Someone told me we should put a gazebo in there too, if you can hack it... maybe as a final boss? Anyhow, let me know when you've got it all coded up. this is gonna rock!
D: but... but... I was
M: (leaves)

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Shamus Young said:
Aye, but only if they don't try to make him look like Marky Mark to coincide with the movie.

Anaphyis

Jun 17, 2008
Video game plots are difficult because they somehow seem to have learned the wrong lessons from TV writers and novelists. A cliffhanger can be a nice thing to spark discussions and fan theories, and also raising anticipation for the next part/episode/season. Video game designers obviously learned that.

However, video games started to have more significant plots then "Demons over there, kill they ass" and "A hero are you" somewhere around the same time the dreaded Myth Arc's entered TV writing. Don't get me wrong, I love these, it's just it takes talent to pull them off; namely finding the right balance between closure and loose threads.

Let's take Mass Effect for example. In the game, you are getting drawn in by an imminent threat. While trying to get rid of it, you learn of an even bigger one. At the end of the game you have taken care of the imminent threat and the plot twist, however the bigger yet more shapeless and foggy threat is still looming in the background. You have taken out the Death Star, the Empire however still exists. Video games however tend to provide too much closure so that a sequel in the same setting with the same premise seems tacked on - or you'll get something which provides squat closure.

There are ways around that however. We lived perfectly fine with episodic shows before the Myth Arc's appeared and we still have them. This can be harder in video games, where you have to travel to Mordor and back and kill increasingly powerful adversaries - however, superhero comics do that as well and they have been fine (with occasionally cleaning the slate, but whatever.) Another thing would be the suggested approach in the column, keep the premise but change the setting or play from another viewpoint - actually a staple in the whole RTS genre, simply witness the plot from another faction's angle.

Or they could simply get competent writers which brings me back to the loose threads. The important thing to remember is - regardless if you are writing a multi parter for a video game, movie, tv show or a novel series is: Make every part worthwhile and give closure in each one. It's common for people writing a multi parter that you only have to write one story and split it up, as long as it makes sense as a whole it doesn't matter. This is why the middle part in many trilogies just suck. And with the common release cycles of games, you simply cannot afford that.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
DeadlyYellow said:
The Final Fantasy series is almost unique in how it does sequels. You get the namesake sequels: I - XII, which keep similar names and general game play (some will face the inevitable change.) But then you got the strange sub-series sequels, spin-offs, and prequels (X-2, FFXII Revenant Wings, FFVII Crisis Core, etc.)
You may want to edit your post to fix the nesting of your quotes; it confuses my comments with your own. For instance, I never wrote the statement "I'm looking at you Valve", and I'm not sure the context of that statement.

Anyway, in answer to your question, by singular, I mean the game developer making one large effort all at once to create the entire game world and packaging it as a single published game(not a single individual working on the game). What I was trying to suggest is to build and publish that game world more incrementally to control costs and risks and allow more detailing of the game world at each increment.

I suppose I should have been more clear regarding my opinion about the limits of the current development model as being applicable to extremely large game worlds or story-lines.

karmapolizei

Sep 26, 2008
Nailed it on the head as always, Shamus.
Someone still might want to remove the formatting artefacts in the last paragraph on page one, these s are really annoying.

spyrewolf

Jan 7, 2009
it's more the setting and the world that really needs to be persistent in video game's but you cannot and repeat cannot do "stay tuned next year for assassins creed 2...."

the characters can come and go if done right, however the backlash to raiden in MGS2 is an example of how not to do this.

however, games like GTAIII series which have interweaving story arc and fill you in on tid bids, whilst introducing new characters of a persistent time line were great, it was nice to see different years and knowing that salvatore was gonna get his head shot off, even if he was alive in and kicking in a prequel. realistically i think GTA nailed it.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
I don't think you'd like that game... Marky Mark running around, whining for 2 hours and screaming "WHAT'S GOING ON?!?" at passerbys and maybe... just maaaaybe... shooting someone in the worse bullet time sequence in history.

Besides, Remedy are working on Alan Wake, aren't they? Better than a sequel, even if it's in name only, must be the new IP!