PAX 2008: Our Five Favorite Cosplayers (That We Have Pictures Of):

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
PAX 2008: Our Five Favorite Cosplayers (That We Have Pictures Of):

Our Five Favorite Cosplayers (That We Have Pictures Of):

It can be tough on the crowded PAX show floor to get a picture of someone with a spectacular costume: by the time you've rummaged through your bag for your camera, Mario and Luigi have vanished into the crowd. We at The Escapist and WarCry would like to celebrate the few attendees brave enough to not only walk around Seattle in costume ... but to let us capture them on camera for posterity while doing it.

Naked Snake (Metal Gear Solid 3)

Despite the name, he's actually wearing clothes - but this attendee who chose to go as the lead character of Metal Gear Solid 3 has the checklist covered: Camo? Check. Bandanna? Check. Manly facial hair? Check. The Boss? Check. All he's missing is a set of mismatched face-paint, a half-eaten tree frog, and the voice of David Hayter.

Godot (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations)

This con-goer chose to dress as the smooth-talking, java-chugging, visor-clad prosecutor antagonist of the third Phoenix Wright game, and one has to wonder how he walked around the show floor without crashing into everything in sight with that thing on his face. My favorite part - the giant novelty mug that was actually filled with coffee.

Dante & That Other Guy (Devil May Cry series)

They've got the hair, they've got the jackets, but these two wouldn't have been half as good if they didn't have those massive foam swords. Foam swords are the best.

And last, but certainly not least, our favorite cosplayer from PAX 2008:

Man-Peach (Mario series)

I think the image speaks for itself. The Escapist and WarCry love Man-Peach, and so should you.

BallPtPenTheif

Jun 11, 2008
I understand the excitement making the costume and having people take your picture but how do you retain that vibe when you're ordering a Big Mac or using the urinal?

Too awkward for me to even approach as a hobby.

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
Its actually pretty easy, its a bit like Halloween.

My personal favourite of the displayed pictures was Man-Peach, though the expression on his face seems to come across like he lost a bet, rather than making a cosplay statement about the Mario-verse character Peach.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
The Godot one is ace though... Now imagine this guy smacking his huge mug in your face... with hot coffee in it :D

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
Manpeach is the same manpeach who I've seen in various photos from other conventions (maybe this one last year). Either he lost a really bad bet, which is recurring, or he just has the costume, and enjoys it.

Beowulf DW

Jul 12, 2008
Has anyone ever heard of the Rissimbool (sp?) Rangers? They do the "Real Fans of Genius," things, and one of them is geared toward cosplayers. It's hilarious.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
Actually, I saw some pretty sweet cosplay at Dragon*Con last year. There was someone with the most perfect Drizzt Do'Urden one could imagine, a Black Hole Stormtrooper, a Sephiroth, a Sandtrooper, etc. Not to mention a few Starship Troopers, Master Chiefs, and some Cowboy Bebop stuff.

On the other end of the scale were things like "generic catgirl #56" if you will, and a woman with a highly detailed Zatanna costume regrettably about 25 pounds too heavy. So yes, the risks to one's retinas are great.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
I found Man-Peach to be slightly Erotic.

In a totally Man-Peachy sort of way.

The Naked Snake cosplay would have been better if he took the name literally.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
GyroCaptain post=6.70705.701219 said:
Actually, I saw some pretty sweet cosplay at Dragon*Con last year. There was someone with the most perfect Drizzt Do'Urden one could imagine, a Black Hole Stormtrooper, a Sephiroth, a Sandtrooper, etc. Not to mention a few Starship Troopers, Master Chiefs, and some Cowboy Bebop stuff.
I was at DragonCon this year with camera. There will be some DC pics up soon. Oh yes.

milskidasith

Jul 4, 2008
I saw a pretty awesome TF2 cosplay video once... They even had a scout hanging in front of a door shouting "Need a dispenser here!" and asking random trivia, like that griefing video. The people all had great costumes (as good as any of those up there), and they all (vaguely) acted like the characters they were cosplaying as.

More on topic: Godot's mug in that pic seems a little too big, but all the costumes were pretty awesome.