Will Wright Reveals Five Favorite Games

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Will Wright Reveals Five Favorite Games

The mastermind behind Spore and The Sims has compiled a list of his five favorite game series, focusing on strategy and openness.

Now that Spore's finally been released [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86035], lead designer Will Wright is able to relax, conjure up his next inspiring idea and interview with the media on his five favorite games.

An MSN special asked Wright about what touches him from each of the five franchises he mentioned. Wright was able to categorize compelling titles into two categories: strategy games and open-world experiences.

His list of game series includes:
[ul]
[li]Civilization[/li]
[li]Grand Theft Auto[/li]
[li]Battlefield[/li]
[li]Advance Wars[/li]
[li]Flight Simulator[/li]
[/ul]

The turn-based gameplay of the Nintendo DS Advance Wars titles remind Wright of how he "used to play these board games as a kid - these elaborate, real board games, so it's kind nostalgic for me, for that reason."

Sid Meier's Civilization also had "strategic diversity" rarely found in its competitors.

The diverse environments of GTA, Battlefield 1942 and Flight Simulator were all described with similar terms such as "open-ended", "big playground" or "world". The lighthearted "cops-and-robbers" style of Battlefield reminds Wright of his childhood. When he mentions the other two titles, he is fascinated by their realism in digitally recreating worlds.

He descriptively explained his GTA love, "It's such an open-ended world... you can actually be very nice in the world and drive an ambulance around saving people, or you can be very mean.... For me, it's not really about the missions, it's about the open-endedness... going out and living a life in this little simulated city. It's like a big playground."

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2008/09/10/what-are-will-wrights-top-five-games/]

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
A GTA endorsement from Will Wright, now that one i didn't see coming. The way he explains the choice however seems to be totally what you'd expect him to say/think.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Hearing someone describe the Battlefield series as "cops and robbers" makes me love it even more, it's a very accurate description, and I'm sure it's exactly what the developers were going for.

Sword and Shields

Sep 3, 2008
I kind of expected Will Wright to say Civilization was one of his favorite games but i didn't expect Grand Theft Auto. This guy seems to be heavily into simulation games and ones with an offering of a sandbox mode.

Limos

Jun 15, 2008
I hadn't thought of that but it's true you can be a good guy in GTA4. You don't have to be a murdering psycopathic car thief.

It seems that Will Wright really loves sandbox games.

HomeAliveIn45

Jun 4, 2008
"For me, it's not really about the missions, it's about the open-endedness... going out and living a life in this little simulated city. It's like a big playgrounduo."

That sounds a whole lot like 'The Sims' and 'Sim City'. Oh wait...

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Speaking of board games, I'd have loved to see a M.A.X. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2AusANzf3A] sequel (3rd) make it to the PSP or the DS.
I still have the windows custom sounds transiting from HDD to HDD since that day, they still sound neat.
If only Interplay...

HEY INTERPLAY! YOU HEAR THAT BUNCH OF ZOMBIES!? YOU'RE BACK IN BUSINESS SO GET ME A FREAKING MAX!!

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Well, I don't think anyone saw GTA coming, but hey, he explains it really well. It sounds like something he would do in one of his games.