Capcom Says No To Platform-Exclusive Development

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Capcom Says No To Platform-Exclusive Development

The days of platform-exclusive development at Xbox 360 [http://www.capcom.com/] - and even the PC.

"All major titles launched during the next fiscal year or thereafter will be developed as multi-platform games," the company said in its year-end shareholder report for fiscal 2008. It will accomplish this goal through the use of "MT Framework," an in-house platform that allows Capcom to develop games for multiple consoles simultaneously. As a result, the company will be able to reach the maximum number of users while at the same time avoiding the worst pitfalls of the console wars. "This groundbreaking tool makes it possible to share technologies, information and know-how, and reduce development time and cost," Capcom said in its report. MT Framework was used to produce Resident Evil 5 [http://www.devilmaycry.com/] as well as other titles still in progress.

Along with abandoning exclusive development, Capcom has also indicated that development for the PC is a big part of its future plans. The 3-D version of Street Fighter [http://www.bioniccommando.com/en] game, and the company cites "Increasing Capcom fan-base with mobile games and PC games" as one of the four points of its "Strategy To Growth."

Capcom's decision to maximize its console development potential makes particular sense in light of the importance of the home gaming market to the company, which reported that over 62 percent of its net sales came from videogame development, totaling $482 million in net sales. Noting the emergence of "women and middle-aged people" as gamers as well as the rapid growth of the European market, the report said, "We own a wealth of strong properties including scores of million-selling titles and popular characters. We have the ability, the resources and the experience to develop content that meets diversified customer needs."

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Bought DMC 4 for PC, and I don't regret this purchase at all. Yes, I hate ports, most of the time. But really, kudos to Capcom for this move :)

N-Sef

Jun 21, 2008
Good for them, I commend Capcom for what they are doing. They are merely bringing their games to more people, I see nothing wrong with that.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Good, you admited that a pc isn't something you sacrifice virgins to every time it grumbles. Not get arround to making reasonable quality ports that aren't stripped down like RE4(it's coming from the wii for christ's sake) or require 4 hands to control and then whining that it sold shit because of pirates(hello DMC4 where i have yet to clear the tutotial because i am expected to have 12" fingers or something)

Captin Planet

Aug 28, 2008
Capcom forever my friend. Its about time. Now if we can just get a universal console we can say good bye to exclusives for eternity!

internutt

Aug 27, 2008
Ah Capcom. Good for you for finally admitting you dislike exclusives. The Game Cube was meant to have a few, but all were ported to the PS2 eventually. Even Dead Rising is being ported to the Wii now. Its great that all gamers (most at least) get a chance to play their wide catalog of games. With Resident Evil 5 and Megaman 9 they are able to reach millions of gamers than a console exclusive ever could.