Pachter Predicts New GTA in 2010

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Pachter Predicts New GTA in 2010

The seemingly ubiquitous Micheal Pachter has predicted that Rockstar will release the next GTA in 2010.

The award-winning Wedbrush Morgan analyst was having a field day on Grand Theft Auto predicitions, besides prediciting a new title in 2010, he also predicted that it would easily outsell GTA:IV, saying:

"When the next version of GTA comes out in late 2010 (not yet announced, but a reasonable expectation), there should be an installed base of approximately 60 million consoles in the addressable market. We don't think it is reasonable to estimate that sales of GTA will double the prior version, but we think that a 25-30% penetration is reasonable, suggesting 15-18 million units sold."

But wait, there's more!

Pachter also had predicitions about GTA:IV downloadable content, saying this on the subjecct:

"Take-Two released the first instalment of DLC for GTA in mid-February, and we estimate that the game has been downloaded over one million times to date. By year-end, we think that this figure will likely double... the next instalment of DLC is due later this year, perhaps coming after the close of the company's October 31 fiscal year."

It all seems quite fanciful stuff I'll admit, but Pachter has an annoying habit of being right more often then he is wrong [http://kotaku.com/356982/analyzing-the-analysts-episode-one]. Will 2010 see us causing more sandbox based havoc? One can only hope.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=210005]

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
I'm looking forward to 2010 because of Final Fantasy XIII, but having another GTA title running around by then seems pretty good to me.

A 25% penentration means that 1/4 owners of a ps3/360 will own this game. That is absolutely huge for any game, (but I suppose that if any game could do it it would be GTA).

Avida

Oct 17, 2008
Hehe, penetration...

SORRY!

Anyway I dont see any of this coming true, though i can see where hes coming from with the earlier-than-expected release date - i think theres no way in hell rockstar will make a completely new system like they did with the last iteration so it'll be like cod4->cod5, however seeing the lack of info currently available i cant help but play skeptic. Also, double penetration.. must resist.. *snigger*.. not a chance, far too many gamers will have lost faith after GTA4, me being one of them.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Avida said:
Hehe, penetration...

SORRY!

Anyway I dont see any of this coming true, though i can see where hes coming from with the earlier-than-expected release date - i think theres no way in hell rockstar will make a completely new system like they did with the last iteration so it'll be like cod4->cod5, however seeing the lack of info currently available i cant help but play skeptic. Also, double penetration.. must resist.. *snigger*.. not a chance, far too many gamers will have lost faith after GTA4, me being one of them.
Actually, it's very rare for Rockstar to make an entirely new engine. GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas were all built on Criterion's RenderWare engine.

HobbesMkii said:
Oh, good, now Pachter's Nostradamus.
As an analyst, I think that might be his job.

Serious_Stalin

Aug 11, 2008
How seriously can we take the link when they can't spell industry correctly on the chart? That statistic is very broad and hard to trust. If the new GTA doesn't involve great cheats and crazy haircuts I am not interested.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I hope not. I hope that they'll keep releasing DLC actually, so they can focus on gameplay and tweaks

spyrewolf

Jan 7, 2009
there is no reason no to think of another GTA in 2010, but it more likely will be the GTA:(insert city here) similar to the ps2/xbox models of 3.

rockstar's engine in solid, and need's minor add's and tweak's like their last engine did, the game could look stunning near the end of it's cycle, (compare san adreas to GTA3 sort of thing.)

blackcherry

Apr 9, 2008
'...and in other news, Rockstar announced out of the blue a new GTA game today. In the official press conference, the spokesman for Rockstar stated the reason for the sudden release, ''Well, we would have loved to work on the new GTA title for a few years more, but hey, we love Micheal's (Pachter) work, and would hate to disappoint him''.

The Rockstar spokesman continued in his praise for the award winning analyst, simply adding in the closing sentence, ''Good luck for the next year Mr Pachter. We wish you the best of times, because if you are right, we will be having some of those ourselves!'' '

Hmmm. I will wait for the official announcement first.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Well, look who was pretty damn wrong.
Unless we get a new GTA game coming out in the next ten days.