Review: Spore

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Review: Spore

Spore has controversial DRM and might not be quite the game you were expecting, but don't write it off just yet.

Read Full Article

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
After a lot of initial negative reviews, more media outlets are supporting Spore for what it accomplishes as opposed to what it promised to accomplish. It is once again Will Wright expanding the concept of "creating your own game."

Some of the gameplay elements may be thin, but it's about letting the player develop the world as he/she desires, not strictly playing it for the sake of finishing it. This review reflected that view.

arrr_matey

Oct 26, 2006
Thanks for this review. I'd been riding the tide of negativity and pretty much decided I was going to pass Spore by... now I'm excited at the possibility of just creating a universe.

Perhaps the rest of the gaming world was too caught up in the "play to win" philosophy that most games have. Your review makes Spore sound more like a "play just to play" kind of game. With that in mind, it makes a little more sense.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
I prefer a paper and pencil or Blender to draw/model out my imagination... at least there I'm not supposed to throw out a heck lot of money for "renting" a game... sorry... tinker-box is maybe the better name. Nothing wrong with artistic oriented games but if somebody wants to be creative then there are in my opinion a lot better ways... without setting you back big bucks or driving you into piracy due to DRM drama.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
arrr_matey post=6.71853.739590 said:
Perhaps the rest of the gaming world was too caught up in the "play to win" philosophy that most games have. Your review makes Spore sound more like a "play just to play" kind of game. With that in mind, it makes a little more sense.
That's a really good way of putting it. Spore's not really about rewarding you for efforts or following rules or accomplishing goals, it's more something you can just dive into and enjoy. There's not much of a carrot on a stick, which I think has become increasingly a dominant paradigm with games nowadays. It's just sort of what you make of it - I think if you go in understanding that, there's a lot to dig.

And yeah, I'd rather take a sketch pad and some charcoals if I wanted to really be creative, but Spore's pretty cool too.

Wermut

Jul 10, 2008
Didn't Will Wright say that Spore is more a toy than a game? I vaguely remember a speech he gave in 2006/2007. But even in the negative reviews I could see that, although not up to the hype, it still seems like a fun game for in between.

Downside

Sep 16, 2008
I've got spore and i admit the actual game play gets old pretty fast. But i just love creating stuff in the editors. So far i've created over 150+ creatures\buildings\vehicles. You really can let your imagination run wild and its so cool to see all the stuff you've created come to life.

Although i've yet to experience the space stage properly yet as i keep starting a new game each time i get there...

Calabi

Dec 4, 2007
Its not a toy though, with a toy you can pick it up and play with it how you want. Spore the games before space have clear goals, you are pushed towards those goals, and nothing much else to do other than those goals. There isnt even much to appreciate with just watching things as the creatures actions and random happenings are limited.

Space could be more like a toy if you werent pushed around all the time into playing it like a game.

SeniorDingDong

Jan 8, 2008
The review really got the right views on Spore.

I have spend a lot of time and thoughts how I develop my creature, how it should look, be painted and behave. After I knew what kind of "personality" they had, I desinged the vehicals and buildings around it and finaly "roleplayed" them into the Space stage.

Thats something no other game can give you. Spore might be not the best "game" on the market, but its by far the best "toy" for creative natures.

TheThanatos

May 8, 2008
The review seems true to me, not that much game play but if you have an active imagination it's great. Unfortunately I don't have much of an imagination and got bored of it before I got to the space stage. Not the greatest game ever made, and not for everyone but I can see how some people absolutely love it. I think I will post my copy to my sister, she will love it being more of the artistic type, but not enough head shots, or twinking of rpg stats for me.
Edit* OR being able to nuke the French like a proper game of civ.

Wermut

Jul 10, 2008
TheThanatos post=6.71853.746442 said:
The review seems true to me, not that much game play but if you have an active imagination it's great. Unfortunately I don't have much of an imagination and got bored of it before I got to the space stage. Not the greatest game ever made, and not for everyone but I can see how some people absolutely love it. I think I will post my copy to my sister, she will love it being more of the artistic type, but not enough head shots, or twinking of rpg stats for me.
Edit* OR being able to nuke the French like a proper game of civ.
HA, but you can nuke the French. Go to a city, name it France, start to take it over and use the Gadget Bomb (it's a nuke).

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Odjin post=6.71853.739641 said:
I prefer a paper and pencil or Blender to draw/model out my imagination...
Agreed. I prefer to act out my imagination in my novels, articles, Maya or Anim8or. Spore tries to be an interactive creative outlet and a game in one package, but it does neither. It's hard to concentrate on your creations, mapping your planet, exploring the galaxy or whatever, when from time to time Spore yanks you back to Earth and forces you to "play the game", like winning over other civs, defend your planets or stuff like that. But even then if fails to deliver the "game" aspect of Spore, kicking your back to the open world with a bad taste in your mouth to live out your imagination...until the next "come back and play" element.

Like a constant tug of war, schizophrenic. Not a real creative outlet and not a real game.

I didn't like it. I really, really, REALLY wanted to like it, but sadly...no.

bittman

Sep 11, 2008
Logan Frederick post=6.71853.739359 said:
After a lot of initial negative reviews, more media outlets are supporting Spore for what it accomplishes as opposed to what it promised to accomplish.
Exactly the sentiment that all reviewers need anyway. Why review a game within the first week of it's release? To be the first? If you can criticise a game you've just played whilst whatever emotion it initially creates rushes through you, then it's not really being fully criticised.

Dec 1, 2007
Logan Frederick post=6.71853.739359 said:
Some of the gameplay elements may be thin, but it's about letting the player develop the world as he/she desires, not strictly playing it for the sake of finishing it. This review reflected that view.
Hey, why does this new Battlefield game have 1 class?? And where's all the guns? Why can he only use a pistol? I mean sure I can put my face on my soldier with the new Face-Morph (tm) technology, but that doesn't excuse such empty gameplay.

Well some of the gameplay elements might be thin, but it's about letting the player develop the world he/she desires, not playing it for the sake of beating it.

How does that effect anything I've said? It's got little content to play with beyond a hollow version of other, better battlefield games with your face plastered on it. You've got pistol, knife and gernades and that's it. That's as much as the game can be "yours". Which do you choose? When? Oh the choice is yours! It is "yours" but then the games it's a sequel to had far more choices and nuances to make it even more "yours". So unless aesthetics alone can make up for it, you're screwy.

Sush, we're contrarians so we're cool.