Terrorists Might Plot Attack in World of Warcraft

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Terrorists Might Plot Attack in World of Warcraft

A Washington defense researcher has demonstrated to the Director of National Intelligence Open Source Conference how terrorists could plot future real-world attacks in World of Warcraft.

Dr. Dwight Toavs, a professor at the Pentagon-funded National Defense University, presented his research titled "Emerging Media: Its Effect on Organization" to an audience of government officials on the dangers of virtual worlds used by the country's enemies in plotting further violent strikes.

Toavs and partner Dan Arey of the National Intelligence's Summer Hard Problems explained how one anonymous and seemingly innocent conversation between players in World of Warcraft could be discrete code plotting terrorist acts.

Two hypothetical players, "Talon238" and "War_Monger", held an in-game chat:
[blockquote]
TALON238: Hey War, got your message. What's up?

WAR_MONGER: Leading a big raiding party next Thursday! I need to activate your Guild. You up for it?

TALON238: Yes, the warriors have been training and are organized. Everyone's at Level 70 and ready for action.

WAR_MONGER: Good. This is the big one. Lots of XP for everyone! And a ton of mobs to slaughter!

TALON238: That's what we've been waiting for. Where's the raid?

WAR_MONGER: A fun little romp through StoneTalon Mountains. You know the place?

TALON238: Sure, we scouted the area last year in a party, but left because the White Keep was too strong.

WAR_MONGER: Yes, but this time I want to hit the Keep! We will take down the Master Mage and his little Gnome. PvP baby!

TALON238: Wow! To take on that Instance, you must have acquired the Dragon Fire spell?!!!!!

WAR_MONGER: Yes. Last week. In my Inventory and ready to cast. But I need tanks and DPS's to support the raid and clear the guards.

TALON238: We're ready. We just got a shipment of Elite and Epic weapons last month. DPS's have tons of Mana. And the tanks are buffed.

WAR_MONGER: Excellent. The time for the raid is 11:30 am EST. Have everyone online and ready to roll. Rally on me and don't be late! The Alliance may be listening, so only communicate in Whisper mode.

TALON238: Of course. The whole Guild will be there and at your command. Where do you want us to gather?

WAR_MONGER: Come in South East of The Zoram Strand. Clear out all the mobs. Then we attack the Keep itself and use the Spell. The Oracle says there are 110 Gold and 234 Silver inside. That's the real target!

TALON238: 110 234 Got it. This is going to rock the World!

WAR_MONGER: Remember, eliminate all castle guards patrolling the road to the Keep, and kill all other players in the area... then get clear. The Dragon Fire spell will be coming through the south gates of the Keep soon after!

TALON238: Got it. The Horde can't wait to see it burn! The Gods willing, we will succeed and dance on its burning rubble!

WAR_MONGER: No one will dance there for a hundred years after this spell is cast. The Gods and their magic are with us. The White Keep is vulnerable. Good hunting!
[/blockquote]

A closer examination of the language used reveals hidden messages. "StoneTalon" is Washington D.C., "White Keep" could be the White House, "Dragon Fire" and the "Elite" and "Epic" weapons are the weapons to be used and "110 Gold and 234 Silver" are coordinates to match the World of Warcraft map with one of the city.

In the future, as the ongoing "war on terror" evolves and the technology terrorists implement become more complex, Toaves expects intelligence agencies to spend more time focusing on virtual worlds.

Steven Aftergood, an analyst for the Federation of the American Scientists, commented, "This concern is out there. But it has to be viewed in context. It's the job of intelligence agencies to anticipate threats and counter them. With that orientation, they're always going to give more weight to a particular scenario than an objective analysis would allow. Could terrorists use Second Life? Sure, they can use anything. But is it a significant augmentation? That's not obvious. It's a scenario that an intelligence officer is duty-bound to consider. That's all."

The partners' Powerpoint can be downloaded here at Wired [http://blog.wired.com/defense/files/OSC-TOAVS.ppt].

Source: Wired Danger Room [http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/09/world-of-warcra.html]

Fronken

May 10, 2008
this is great proof that the american government is nothing but a bunch of paranoid idiots :p

Fret098

May 21, 2008
Fronken post=7.71905.741051 said:
this is great proof that the american government is nothing but a bunch of paranoid idiots :p
Makes me alittle scared that I live where I do /cry

SimpleReally

Feb 4, 2008
Nothing new here, just the usual american policy of taking something normal, making it sound threatening, and attempting to make the average citizen feel that his normal way of life is in danger so he'd put up with all the taxes and other crap he's being told to do so they can support fighting 2 wars he doesn't give a damn about.

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Isn't name substitution grade-school level on the 'hiding my secret plans' scale? This is just an excuse for the people at the National Defense University to get government-funded WoW accounts for 'research' purposes.

I wonder what their guild name will be. "Government Funded" and "Defense Dollars at Work" sound good.

gains

Jan 8, 2008
What the?

Is the concern here that they need to organize a means to "phone tap" the chat features of online games?

___

Blizzard Interactive regets to inform you that your account has been suspended pending the investigation of your involvement in acts of international terrorism.

USA.gov pwns U PvP.

n00b.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
When this turns out to be all bullshit for capitalist oppression then I hope a massive economic crash comes rolling over the US moneymilkers.

TALON238: Yes, the warriors have been training and are organized. Everyone's at Level 70 and ready for action.

WAR_MONGER: Good. This is the big one. Lots of XP for everyone! And a ton of mobs to slaughter!
FAIL btw.

Deadarm

Sep 8, 2008
Thats more retarded than some of the shit my mother has come up with in order to scare my kid sisters... not to mention that you fail horribly at making up suspicious dialogue. On the other hand we know who is going to get arrested if anything that could be percieved as an attack based on this happens. GJ dumbass

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
The sad thing is, this means we're going to have tons of people in our government renewing their cries of "VIDEOGAMERS ARE EVIL TERRORISTS!"

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Cid SilverWing post=7.71905.741192 said:

FAIL btw.
Glad I wasn't the only one who spotted that :p

And though this is fairly old news (read about it on the WoW forums back when I actually played >_>), the little story entertained me. It just cements my belief that the people who run the most powerful country in the world are gargantuan idiots.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Geez. These sad pandas haven't figured out that you could do the same through Skype or Ventrillo? Talking in code could even be done with this new-fangled "telephone" dealie, making it harder to intercept too.

Rest of the world to US Government; GET REAL. Stop playing the "fear" card so much, you bunch of wusses, and try governing with honest consent for a change.

-- Steve

Antinash

Sep 13, 2008
Wow, this is some kind of crazy. I dunno though. They could have been setting up a secret tea party :)

Downside

Sep 16, 2008
wouldn't it make sense to set up their own dedicated server for another game say cod4 that way only terrorist members could join using the given password?

why use a game that has hundreds of other people in that could over hear their conversation? that would be like discussing you plan to take out tower bridge on a busy high street.

masterhibb

Jul 17, 2008
This would make a fantastic episode of some 24-esque television drama. It's got an air of cleverness as a scheme, and provides opportunities for flashy "video game" visuals that would make the show stand out.

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
The next time I see someone use proper spelling and grammar in World of Warcraft, I'll know they are terrorists!

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
The map is even more hilarious than the conversation,
"The Dragon Fire Spell will be coming through the south gate of the keep."
"No one will come here for a hundred years after the spell is cast."

Haha, sounds like the dialogue in a high school play.

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
US Gov Employee #1 - "Oh gawd! Here comes the boss, he is so going to catch us playing WoW!"
US Gov Employee #2 - "Don't worry and stop sweating, I got this covered"
Boss Of Company With US Gov Contract - "Ok, lets see that report ... what's this!?! We don't pay you to pl..."
US Gov Employee #2 - "Boss, its all good, we are doing research ... on terrorists."
Boss - "Oh. Oh! In that case, continue" *boss leaves*
US Gov Employee #1 - "Holy crap, I didn't think that would work but now we gotta write a report..."
US Gov Employee #2 - "You worry too much, I got something I wrote back in highschool we can use"

TomNook

Feb 21, 2008
Who the hell would go to Stonetalon at level 70? Or who would go there with just warriors? Or where is this White Keep? Any regular in game would spot this shit in a second.