U.K. Industry Warns Against Lower Prices

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
U.K. Industry Warns Against Lower Prices

The U.K. videogame industry is starting to sweat over lower retail prices on hardware and software, and has suggested to retailers that they should be making efforts to keep prices up.

Recent competitive price cuts across a number of U.K. retailers have led many industry figures in the country to ask retailers to halt the practice in order to ensure that prices of new game releases don't drop precipitously. "Price cuts in an industry which shines above the gloom [of the economy] can only be the strategy of those concerned that their mode of delivery to the consumer is facing threats, and they are doing their best to accelerate their own demise," said Codemasters [http://www.codemasters.com/] CEO Rod Cousens.

Alan Pritchard of Morrisons [http://www.sega.com/] ran before, and it is not something that Sega would encourage. Development costs are not getting cheaper so it is important for retailers to sustain full SRP [suggested retail price] points."

Activision's [http://www.activision.com] Andrew Brown suggested that instead of reducing prices, retailers should try to find other ways to ensure continued retail sales growth. "We recognize the short-term pressure on retail, especially if we are on the edge of a recession," he said. "But I believe retailers should drive growth by developing improved in-store solutions, rather than forcing the prices down. The overall strategy needs to be sustainable."

There have been several price promotions for both hardware and software at major U.K. retailers recently, including reductions of up to 50 percent on new releases at Morrisons and significant price cuts elsewhere on titles like GAME [http://www.lucasarts.com/games/theforceunleashed/] added, "The U.K. games market is very competitive and has been for years. We remain focused on our offer and are confident in our proposition."

Source: MCVUK [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/31882/Publishers-plead-Stop-the-price-wars]

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I can see why they might be worried, but... with the amount we pay for games, there's gotta be a way to cut the prices without screwing the companies over. Give and take, apparently this is a lost art?

Feb 13, 2008
And you thought Australian Politicians were bad....

Pity they didn't do this when Asda monopolised the Harry Potter release, but then...

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
Why are game companies complaining about this? By becoming a loss leader it's Morrisons that lose the money, not the devs/publishers as they will be paid a flat rate of what they demand and retailers/wholesalers will take it or leave it. The only effect this has is that it may lower the threshold that wholesalers/retailers are willing to pay, but I guess they don't have a good enough grasp of the economy to know that the price equilibrium has wiggle room in that:

High cost - lower sales
Low cost - higher sales

Usually end up around very similar turnover numbers.

TheBadass

Aug 27, 2008
How DARE these places try and charge fair prices for games, instead of making us pay twice as much as other countries?

Where's my pitchfork? I've got to smack a *****.

Serious_Stalin

Aug 11, 2008
Parents will never pay for a PS3 game in Britain for their kid unless it is some sort of special occasion like christ has come back to earth and given everybody pie. Xbox and Wii games can at least be picked up in some sort of bargain bin but the PS3 has few titles which are all £££

vandalshelen

Aug 21, 2008
What a stupid thing for the developers to say. The development costs are fixed once a game is completed, and price of actually making the game disc and distributing it is the only additional costs they face afterwards. If they sell 100 games at £20, then they make a similar amount of cash as if they sold only 50 games at £40. Also, compared to the prices US gamers pay we get a pretty raw deal here in the UK.

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
I'm gonna head to morrisons... thats some cheap games!!

Tho somehow I recon they wont be "great" games... mostly old and movie based games. :/

Blayze

Dec 19, 2007
You've got to love old game collections like Sold-Out, Xplosiv and Good Old Games. A substantial part of my gaming collection consists of old games I've bought on "three for £10/£20" offers.

The people warning against lower prices are just a bunch of greedy, corporate fat-cats sweating over the state of the economy and their fear of the beautiful red line on the wall that tells them all they want to know about their sales starting to angle downwards...

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
harhol post=7.72531.764312 said:
Glad to see some stores are finally doing something about overpricing in the UK.

The major retailers been price fixing & ripping us off for far too long.

Amazon.co.uk price for Too Human: $69.88
Amazon.com price for Too Human: $56.99
Huh. And there I was thinking such a thing was illegal and would have the company's sued/fined for lots o' cash (exact number don't you know?)

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
There is no law about selling for the same price in different regions.

Within the U.K. we have different food, petrol, whatever prices within chains of stores. Look at McDonalds in the North and one in London, and one in a service station on the M1. They all vary in price due to a combination of local compatition (or lack their of) and general state of living (the south is wealthier on the whole).

Thing is, certainly some things will have extra tax within the U.K. and i guess thats fine, although why the consumer must take all the hit of teh 17.5% rise in price, while the publishers take none of it does always confuse me somewhat. The biggest complaint I have is with digital games, or subscriptions.

Recently EA Mythic tried to make U.K. players pay MORE then people in the EU and America. I don't have the exact figures, but they werent using current currency exchange. U.K. ended up paying more then EU, and EU more then America. However they've since reduced it so that the U.K. pay the same as the rest of the EU, but I'm still a little peeved by it.

I always enjoyed EvE-online's payment system, as you always paid in dollars, and it just converted it from your bank into $ straight away using the current exchange rate. Meaning while the rate was good we were getting "cheaper" subscription costs. :D

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
TheBadass post=7.72531.764112 said:
How DARE these places try and charge fair prices for games, instead of making us pay twice as much as other countries?

Burn the heretics!

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
Way to take a stand for piracy.

I mean, he is correct in saying that game retailers are staring down the barrel of a gun, and that gun is called online distribution, but that's no threat to developers. As a famous alien once said: "They are alone. They are a dying race. We should let them pass."

But suggesting that retailers should be charging more money will do nothing to endear you to the people who actually want to trade said money for your game, and will only encourage them to consider donning an eyepatch and parrot.

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
new game in UK - £39-£50 ish
roughly converted into dollars- $80-$100
New game in US - about $30-$40

Boo UK gaming industry

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
PS3 and Wii games go for $100+ here in holland, the top offenders being WiiFit($210!!!) Anything else with a wii extension($150+) and AAA PS3 titles($120)

For the cost of all extra bits of the former i could build a pc that dwarves the latter in terms of power and get a huge pile of A and AA titles bundled with various bits that would most likely be the same size as both their catalogues combined. Atleast pc and x360 prices are steady at $60. Handheld prices are $40 for psp and anywhere between $5 and $120 for the ds, depending on how "healthy(propaganda-y?)" the game is supposed to be. Yes DS EyeTraining i'm looking at you.

Typecast

Jul 27, 2008
avykins post=7.72531.766122 said:
New games in NZ avg at the $$130 mark. So ususally if I dont umm... download the "extended demo" <.< then I will wait a few months for it to drop in price. So either way I refuse to pay that amount. If they dropped it to something reasonable right away then I would have no reason to wait.
Australia here. I don't think there's anything we can do except pout and bang our heads against brick walls at the state of price markups our retailers get away with. Especially when someone else is lamenting how CHEAP everything is :mad:

SecretTacoNinja

Jul 8, 2008
TheBadass post=7.72531.764112 said:

Seconded.