169: Carla

Raja Doake

Sep 29, 2008
Carla

"The audience was still chanting, and hearing the name of one of the first songs he'd written resonate throughout the stadium put Will in a kind of nostalgic trance. Before long, he found himself loosely strumming a cover tune he'd learned before writing 'Carla.' It was an old favorite of his, with a simple but compelling hook - one of the most common and popular descending chord progressions imaginable. Cliché, but so infectious you didn't care."

Read Full Article

phooks

Nov 23, 2007
Great. I love it.

I am confused as to why I'm reading this in a gaming website though... Perhaps this story was fashioned from Rajas guitar hero days?

Impeccable taste and style in this article as always guys. Keep it up!

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Great piece of short fiction. I do love the ficiton weeks on The Escapist, there really aren't enough of them!

Ajar

Aug 21, 2006
Oops, I should have mentioned my forum handle in the pitch. My mistake. (I'm the author.)

Anyway, I'm really glad you guys liked it. Funny tidbit: since Painted On My Heart is a real song [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3Vu-EeYq_w], the earliest the story could take place is 2018.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
... This week's article line-up is awesome! Excellent short story. It may not be gaming-related, it was still excellent. Thank you.

Jonathan Hexley

Jul 4, 2008
That was a great story. I loved it. I normally don't read these bits actually, but it was about Rock, so I thought, 'Why not?'
Although, I am a bit of a muppet. I didn't know that Psychotherapy were fictional, and I searched Wikipedia to try and find them! Ha ha.

Either way, great work on the story.

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
As expected, I really liked it, although the connection between it and a gaming theme is a little... er... vague? Regardless, it was still really good.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Being a big music fan (and an amateur lyrics writer/guitarist) it really got to me :)