169: Gears of War: Aspho Fields

Karen Traviss

Sep 29, 2008
Gears of War: Aspho Fields

"Marcus was already doing some carving of his own. His chainsaw screamed and stuttered against armor. There was a precise technique to the saw: you had to put your weight behind it, or else the blades skidded and didn't bite. The best action was a downward slice, leaning into the target, but Marcus was pinned on his back, cutting upward, and the grub was still thrashing around, even though it couldn't use its weapons close-in. Dom sliced into its shoulder - and still the thing kept moving."

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
smallharmlesskitten post=6.72829.774479 said:
Gears of war Fan-Fiction....If this is a lemon...
This is actually not fan-fiction. This is an excerpt from the upcoming Random House official Gears of War novel.

JojjeE

Apr 21, 2008
;_;... Beautiful.
I need to buy this when it comes out.
It'll probably be released on Amazon or something.

At least I hope so, I live in Sweden.

Chickmcjr

Jun 24, 2008
I have to agree with H.R. It was much too confusing, a lot of the characters seemed out of...well, character. The internal dialogue was confusingly written and it really just felt like a high school kid's english assignment. Of coure just my opinion on an excerpt. The book as a whole could be much better.

I HOPE it's much better.

Recyth

Sep 13, 2008
JojjeE post=6.72829.774677 said:
;_;... Beautiful.
I need to buy this when it comes out.
It'll probably be released on Amazon or something.

At least I hope so, I live in Sweden.
SWE??

Sorry the temptation was far too great for me to resist, and the book looks like a promising read. Might buy at but maybe not, who knows?

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
Well this has confirmed my suspicions of the rumors that, much like Halo, Gears should stick to the games. I guess I did go into this with the wrong mentality, but as the saying goes: You only get one chance at a first impression.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
I think a movie would be better than a book. As long as they focus on the characters, visuals, and action sequences instead of the story. I mean lets face it, the GoW story blows. It's the look and feel of GoW, the visuals, dialogue, and action that make it so great. If the movie focused on those things, it could be very good, but they would have to have some really amazing action sequences to make it worth seeing.

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
I found it interesting.

Yup, I'm a gears fanboy. Looks like it. Anyway, I can't wait for it. Both the book and the game.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Ooh, another novel from a videogame. Love those things. The last one I read (Endwar) was horrible, so I'm looking forward to this since it certainly sounds good.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
smallharmlesskitten post=6.72829.774479 said:
Gears of war Fan-Fiction....If this is a lemon...
It isn't supposed to be, but still... that's the exact vibe I got from this extract. No offence to the author, but I really don't think that a Gears novel could work. Gears is one of those action flick-type games that work very well in a visual medium, but not so well on text. What makes Gears, the action, the excellent gameplay, the expansive visuals with a very medieval theme (thanks Cheeze), and even the characters, they work much better when the audience is able to see them. The visual medium is powerful, and video games in general (and Gears specifically), utilise the strengths of the medium to become what they are, meaning it's very hard to translate this into text and still keep as well-received as the games.

The thing is, and this might just be youth and nostalgia, I've read better fan-fiction than this... but that was based on Final Fantasy 8, meaning it had excellent character depth and a well fleshed out background to work with. The author of this piece has that in Gears, but it's much more faint. The author's gotta work on focusing what makes a novel great in Gears, it strengths, and further that.

I don't see this working as an action novel to be honest. The main reason people read action novels are because they offer the reader an opportunity to escape, and experience heart-pounding action that they could never experience in real life. Unfortunately, the target demographic for Gears is one that's already played the games, meaning they have already stepped into the boots of Marcus Fenix. They've already had a taste of the action in Gears, first-hand. Unlike novels such as Ice Station, the target demographic (those who've played the games) will be picturing in the back of their head, That would be so sweet if I could do it. The major strength of an action novel, the ability to transport the reader into the body of the protagonist, it's been done before in the games, and in my opinion, been done better.

Hey, I might be wrong (hopefully), and this piece of the novel isn't as good as the rest of the novel. Still, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Edit: I've been reading the interview (thanks again for the link Cheeze), and... it's a real shame, the author's given me yet another perspective to look at Gears from. Unfortunately, and I mentioned it, but, when reading the interview, reading about her going on about the novel and what it would contain, my brain pictured it as a game. It's the flaw in this novel... one people might be able to move on from, but I won't. Shame too...

Edit Edit: It's not that I don't think the author's a good writer; far from it, she's quite good. I just don't think a book based on a video game could work. Regardless of how well she writes, I for one will always find it better if it were a video game, or even a movie. Again, not the fault of the author, just the medium.

HomeAliveIn45

Jun 4, 2008
Wait, one question. If Aspho fields happened before GoW1, how did Marcus and Dom know Cole? I just remember them meeting in the game and having never seen each other in person.

Lex Darko

Aug 13, 2006
Cole was a pro athlete prior to the Locust war.

This novel doesn't read like fan fiction at all it reads like the early draft of a proposed script for the movie.

The problem with the game is that it's a sequel to a good story and it just sort of throws you into the Gears universe where the backstory isn't explained to the player because the movie was supposed to do that. After reading this draft and then playing the game again you pick up a lot of more subtle things in the game like when like when Dom says he still has nightmares about the Locust coming from under ground or when Baird starts talking about the boogeyman why Marcus puts an end to it quickly.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news.php?id=1890

ThePoodonkis

Apr 22, 2008
HomeAliveIn45 post=6.72829.776454 said:
Wait, one question. If Aspho fields happened before GoW1, how did Marcus and Dom know Cole? I just remember them meeting in the game and having never seen each other in person.
I think it goes before GoW1 and in between 1 and 2.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
ThePoodonkis post=6.72829.776594 said:
HomeAliveIn45 post=6.72829.776454 said:
I think it goes before GoW1 and in between 1 and 2.
From what I've heard, the novel is pre-Gears of War, and the comic book is going to bridge Gears 1&2.