Wii Lightsabers Unleashed

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
Wii Lightsabers Unleashed

How do you get consumers to buy a game that's received lackluster reviews and so-so word of mouth? Throw in red and blue glowing lightsaber peripherals that, that's how.

Though the Wii version of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed was panned by critics for its lackluster gaming experience, Thrustmaster is poised to potentially inject some added enjoyment [http://kotaku.com/5056094/thrustmaster-get-wii-lightsaber-peripherals-right] into the mix for depressed, Nintendo-bound Jedi. This month, the peripheral maker offers a welcome opportunity for more realistic Wii Remote lightsaber battles with its slick Glow Saber Duo Pack NW.

For $34.99, each pack comes with two plastic lightsaber peripherals (red and blue) that, despite being diminutive, actually offer a reasonably solid and visually pleasing design. The Wii Remote clicks comfortably into the hilt, and the short light-up blade is flexible and features rounded edges to reduce the risk of inadvertently causing bodily harm. Each saber runs on three AAA batteries, providing substantial illumination, and the 17 LED lighting system has an on-off switch to keep from eating up precious energy during down time between epic Star Wars reenactments in your living room.

The Wii sabers noticeably lack the ability to make sound, but that's easily remedied. BZZZZZOOORRCCHH! ZZZVVVVVVAAAAACKKKT!

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Wait, wasn't this the whole idea behind a Star Wars game on the Wii? 'Bout bloody time.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
*Ahem* - is anyone else here laughing like hell because the people who make the Wii-Sabers are called thrustmaster?! They also make Joysticks....

As if the "Wii" wasn't immaturely funny enough, now we've got a company that sounds like they make adult toys for the thing.

ObadiahBlack

Sep 23, 2008
Such additions are not unheard of, but this is the first time I've heard of a peripheral accessory [read: gimmick] being advertised. I mean, they already make a plastic shield and sword-case for hardcore [emphasis on hard] fans of LoZ. More like gag-gifts, surely.

flatearth

Jul 17, 2008
I don't even really like Star Wars, but still, a must have game, not so sure about the sabers. I still have my imagination dagnamit.

Thrustmasters... hmmm.... some HC nerds are getting part of their fantasies filled now. If only there was a girl dressed like Leia for them.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I have a nagging feeling some of you youngsters think Thrustmaster is new or something... I had a Thrustmaster joystick (can't remember the model number anymore; it's the one that replicated the F-15 flight stick) plugged into my 40MHz 80386 for epic rounds of Aces of the Pacific and X-wing a decade ago. They took their name from their first accessory, which was a throttle for PC flight-sims. (To master fine control of "thrust", geddit?)

As I don't play with anyone's Wii, though, I'm immune to the blandishments of the GlowSabres.

-- Steve

RAWKSTAR

Jun 5, 2008
Lightsabers.... Who in their right mind wouldn't want one!

Haha Thrustmaster! Awesome XD

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Damn...you'd think they could take all that money and make a decent flight sim for this console gen and bundle it with a joystick. My God, I'd love to play Tie Fighter on Xbox Live.

the jellyman

Jul 24, 2008
I don't really know much about wiiIIIiiiIIiiiis ( mustresist vowel urges) but aren't wiiiiIIiiIIIIIiii motes just basically lightsabre handles anyway. For chrit's ake, use the imaginations people!!!

PAGEToap44

Jul 16, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico post=7.72869.776053 said:
*Ahem* - is anyone else here laughing like hell because the people who make the Wii-Sabers are called thrustmaster?! They also make Joysticks....

As if the "Wii" wasn't immaturely funny enough, now we've got a company that sounds like they make adult toys for the thing.
I salute you sir. For pointing out what matters.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
ElArabDeMagnifico post=7.72869.776053 said:

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beowulf DW

Jul 12, 2008
No.

No.

No.

Oh, and if they ever make a lightsaber ring tone, sign me up! Each ring could be represented by the sound of a swinging lightsaber.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Why is Ninento bringing out stuff like that? That defeats the whole purpose of the normal controller. Imagination ftw!

Great Nintendo. You rule!

Edit: Those lightsabers are pretty small....