New HD Wii Coming in 2011?

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
New HD Wii Coming in 2011?

Scant yet interesting details of a possible true next-gen Wii successor begin to emerge.

With Wii sales still going strong, and no sign of letting up anytime soon, it's probably far too soon to get overly stoked about the system's next iteration. The Wii has plenty of life in it yet. However, What They Play reports [http://www.whattheyplay.com/blog/2008/09/30/new-wii-due-by-2011/] this week Nintendo has already begun showing preliminary presentations of its next console hardware to succeed the Wii. The report, written by industry vet and former EGM editor-in-chief John Davison, is based on "multiple sources in the game development and publishing community" that are not identified in the story. It's certainly plausible, even if unconfirmed.

The new console, reportedly dubbed the "Wii HD" by those who viewed the presentation, is expected to go to market by 2011 and will be more than a slightly retooled version of the existing Wii system, according to Davison. Some of the new console's general features indicated by the sources include high definition visuals, increased support for backwards compatibility and digital distribution, some form of expanded data storage, and continued emphasis of unique controls. These all seem like nothing out of the ordinary, but if and when this pans out, it's highly probable the final design will have enough new features to entice consumers to make the plunge for another Nintendo system.

Nintendo declined to comment, yet Davison points at a major increase in the company's research and development budget as proof something major is indeed in the works. Nintendo's R&D spending has more than tripled since the Wii launched in 2006, he notes, and it's more than ten times greater than R&D development five years ago. Don't hold your breath waiting for a solid announcement from Nintendo anytime soon, but this is definitely something to keep an eye on moving forward into 2009.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
I know that this is a moot feature request these days but at least include NATIVE DVD Playback this time around.

fnph

Oct 13, 2007
What's this about better backwards compatibility? The Wii already plays Gamecube games and the only way they wouldbe able to go further back than that would be to include a cartridge slot.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I only have one problem with HD at present.

All the games I've played on 360 and ps3 have text smaller than a loan shark's contract, and I end up having to sit 6 inches away from a 42" screen to know what's going on.

Would it kill to have a text size option?

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Khell_Sennet post=7.72945.778933 said:
Meh. I couldn't be bothered to buy a 7th-Gen console, I don't hold much interest in the 8th-Gen ones. I don't want gimmicks and add-ons, like Blu-Ray or the ability to make my console into a toaster, microwave and rechargeable dildo. And I don't give two shits about graphics, not saying I want to go back to 8-Bit 24 color crapsville, but graphics around the PS2 era were just fine, don't need more than that. What I need is GAMES.

Games, remember those things? Used to be the point behind a console, used to be fun. Well we don't need yet another atrociously overpriced Japanese-designed Chinese-made plastic ornament for the ever-growing TV-Peripherals tree. I don't want a whole new console, when we've barely got use out of the current one, and little in the way of good games has come our way. Do we really want to start back up on a new system with crap launch titles like Spiderman 4, yet another horrible Superman game and some obscure race game based around only one brand of cars?
A console...playing games!? You speak the words of a heretic sir!

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Khell_Sennet post=7.72945.778933 said:
Meh. I couldn't be bothered to buy a 7th-Gen console, I don't hold much interest in the 8th-Gen ones. I don't want gimmicks and add-ons, like Blu-Ray or the ability to make my console into a toaster, microwave and rechargeable dildo. And I don't give two shits about graphics, not saying I want to go back to 8-Bit 24 color crapsville, but graphics around the PS2 era were just fine, don't need more than that. What I need is GAMES.
Yet for some reason, PC Gamers rave about how the hardware in the 360/PS3 is nothing new and not nearly as powerful as PCs can be and how they arn't "true" High Definition Gameplay.

Just point the hipocrasy is all.

But I shouldn't be saying that (but I did!), but it would be intersting if Nintendo embraced HD which would completely void their "HD does matter" polocy.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Khell_Sennet post=7.72945.779299 said:
Jumplion post=7.72945.779084 said:
Yet for some reason, PC Gamers rave about how the hardware in the 360/PS3 is nothing new and not nearly as powerful as PCs can be and how they arn't "true" High Definition Gameplay.

Just point the hipocrasy is all.

But I shouldn't be saying that (but I did!), but it would be intersting if Nintendo embraced HD which would completely void their "HD does matter" polocy.
Would be hypocritical of me if I ever said such things, but I don't. High definition can suck a big fat pickle for all I care, the purpose of HD is to provide resolutions for screens larger than were first anticipated when DVD chose its max res. So HD only matters if you have a screen larger than say 40", and for a computer, that's just absurd to have.

Also, screen size directly affects how close you are supposed to sit to said screen, so larger screens are pointless to boot.
It wasn't meant to be directed towards you, you're fine, but I see people say that the 360 and Ps3 don't "have as good technology as PC do" and "PCs can support a higher resolution than 1080p!" and those are the same people that say "Graphics arn't important, I want to play games!"

It's just very stupid in some cases, but I don't want this to get to a PC debate here so move along.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
I probably should invest in an HDTV sometime. It's hard to read the blurry text and symbols in a lot of new games.

Also, if this had already been incorporated Nintendo would have likely dominated over both companies more.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
2011? So while Ninty are still fine-tuning their current gen console, Sony and Microsoft will have released the PS4 and XBox... 720?

Also, if you're meant to sit further away from a bigger screen, that means more people can watch it at the same time. Pointless? I think not.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
I find myself apathetic about this. I own all current gen consoles and I can definitly say the one I care the least about is the Wii. I have Wii Fit, Mario Kart Wii, Galaxy, No More Heroes, Wario Ware, and a few others, yet they just bore me after 2-3 days of playtime, if they even last me that long. I never finished Super Mario Galaxy and the same goes for Zelda. Nintendo, I'm sorry to say, but I just don't give a shit anymore.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
Khell_Sennet post=7.72945.779877 said:
Meado post=7.72945.779643 said:
2011? So while Ninty are still fine-tuning their current gen console, Sony and Microsoft will have released the PS4 and XBox... 720?

Also, if you're meant to sit further away from a bigger screen, that means more people can watch it at the same time. Pointless? I think not.
And on a regular basis, how many people are watching said TV? 1, 2, 3?
Is the price of all the HD crap, the replacing of all your DVDs, and subscription to HD service which is at best 5% of the channels... Is the price of all that worth the one or two times a month you have more than just you and a girlfriend/spouse watching the thing?
A good point, but I share a flat with several other people and we often invite others over to game (mainly Rock Band lately), so we all chipped in for the TV. We don't have the HD channels and we haven't replaced our DVD collections, we just got it for the bigger screen. Plus it was on sale when we saw it, so it wasn't as expensive as it could have been.
Granted, this scenario doesn't fit everyone, but I just want to point out that big tvs are never pointless.

Plus, we're getting kinda off-topic.