Fallout 3 Dev: Lack of DLC Won't "Short-Change" PS3 Owners

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Fallout 3 Dev: Lack of DLC Won't "Short-Change" PS3 Owners

Having trouble deciding which version of Bethesda's [http://fallout.bethsoft.com] Pete Hines suggests thinking about DLC before making up your mind.

Bethesda hasn't released any details about its plans for Fallout 3 downloadable content, saying only that it will be available for the PC and Oblivion [http://www.xbox.com].

Hines predicted the absence of DLC for the PlayStation 3 release of the game wouldn't be a deal-breaker for many gamers. "The first question is always, 'How many folks are actually legitimately making that distinction?' How many folks have all three [platforms] and every time [they buy a game] are always like, 'Okay, which platform do I play it for?'" he said. He also pointed out that a significant number of gamers across all platforms won't take advantage of the DLC simply because of the sheer scope of the original game.

"For us, with a game that offers 100 hours of gameplay, we don't feel like we're sort of short-changing you up front," he continued. "You're gonna get your $60 worth out of this game, no matter what platform you buy it for, because there is so much content and so much stuff to do. And you can replay it and have it play out differently. So I think we feel pretty confident in terms of, no matter which platform you choose, you're getting a good experience that will hopefully be one of the best, if not the best game you play this year on that platform."

But if you happen to own more than one system and remain hopelessly hung up over which platform to play it on, Hines said DLC, or the lack thereof, was one of the few differences between the three versions and might be worth considering. "Beyond that, if you really sort of deadlocked and you've gotta have your reasons to make a decision between one platform or the other, then yeah, DLC may be one that may push you towards one platform," he said.

Human Bomb

Sep 29, 2007
Step one: Say DLC isn't that big of a deal.
Step two: Say that DLC should influence what system you play on.
Step three: Print $$$$

Eminate

Sep 7, 2007
Blah blah blah, and nowhere in that ramble did he say, "yes, for those of you that only own a Ps3,,, you are screwed." Wtf, over? Did microsoft pay you guys to exclude the sony console? Why even make the game for it then? Quit spouting pathetic excuses and try telling the goddamn tuth.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Ok this is kind of stupid, while I agree that DLC isn't a big deal that doesn't really justify not giving it to everyone.

PS3 owners are pretty much paying money for an incomplete game, and will never get "the rest" just because they like their PS3 more.

Just shut up and give us the construction set man! This is what's influencing my purchase.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico post=7.72963.779285 said:
Just shut up and give us the construction set man! This is what's influencing my purchase.
Don't you get that automatically? For me, it just installed with Morrowind.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
stompy post=7.72963.779492 said:
ElArabDeMagnifico post=7.72963.779285 said:
Don't you get that automatically? For me, it just installed with Morrowind.
Nope, unlike previous Bethesda releases, no tools will be available for the PC version.

spartyblb

Sep 11, 2008
I believe the statement was no tools will be immediately available. something to the effect of if we do not get the game out as soon as possible then no one will like us anymore (insert subtext, if we give you the tools on pc, then everyone will just make our game better and not pay us to do that)

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
Great. His point that DLC won't be a big deal kind of makes me wonder if I should even bother downloading it. DLC should always be pimped up, especially if you get charged for it.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Could always wait another year for a GOTY edition or such and get the add-ons and original as one set for the same price.

I know, crazy isn't it? Waiting to buy a game, insane. Pfft.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
PC. The way Fallout is MEANT to be played.

I feel bad for PS3 owners out there. Kinda taking a shotgun to the face.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Imitation Saccharin post=7.72963.780184 said:
thebobmaster post=7.72963.778936 said:
Can I go on record as saying I totally agree with him?
Tell that to my unarmored, uncombat-usable horse in Oblivion
Tell that to the sorry sucker that bought Oblivion for consoles.

:(

You've my sympathies.

Fineldar

Jun 8, 2008
Zerbye post=7.72963.779586 said:
Great. His point that DLC won't be a big deal kind of makes me wonder if I should even bother downloading it. DLC should always be pimped up, especially if you get charged for it.
I think he's saying that PS3 owners should lament the fact, or buy better computers to get it; it's still an awesome, long game, the the DLC isn't going to be any big project. But if you have all three, might as well get the one that gives your the opportunity of probably getting a little extra. It's like having to choose between being bitten by two snakes, one of which gives you some ice to put on the wound afterward.

Nov 28, 2007
Imitation Saccharin post=7.72963.780184 said:
thebobmaster post=7.72963.778936 said:
Can I go on record as saying I totally agree with him?
Tell that to my unarmored, uncombat-usable horse in Oblivion
OK. He can meet mine. Oh wait, never mind, I earned Shadowmere. Suckers! (invincible horse FTW)