Nintendo Announces New DS Model

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
Nintendo Announces New DS Model

Finally, Nintendo delivers official word of a redesigned DS that allows you to snap and edit photos, listen to music, and download games.

Nevermind the fact the DS Lite broke sales records last month and continues to move units at a rapid pace, Nintendo announced today it will soon be moving forward with the launch of a newly updated feature set [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsi.html] holds some exciting prospects for gaming and non-gaming activities to come.

The DSi will be equipped with a small camera featuring two lenses (one located inside, next to the microphone and another on the outside of the unit) and the ability to edit photos with the touch screen. Images can be saved for export via the new SD memory card slot added to the right side of the handheld next to the stylus holster. The new storage capacity also fits perfectly with the DSi's new music playing capabilities and another promising feature that just might make the upgraded model a must-have. More on that in a moment.

At a glance, the DSi's overall design looks very similar to the DS Lite, but there are some notable differences. The DSi features larger screens (3.25 inches instead of 3 inches), and the GBA cart slot has been removed, allowing for a 12 percent reduction in the handheld's overall size. <a href=http://kotaku.com/5057883/lets-compare-the-ds-lite-and-the-dsi>Battery life seems to have taken a minor hit, but the DSi appears to have five levels of screen brightness instead of the DS Lite's four settings.

While players lose the ability to play GBA titles, the redesign more than makes up for it with the ability to download and play DS games from the new "Nintendo DS Shop" - which is similar to the company's popular WiiWare service. The DSi will come with the system's web browser installed, and players will be able to hit the 'net to purchase and digitally download "Nintendo DS Ware" games directly to the handheld. Using a four-tier pricing scheme, DS Ware titles will be run $2, $5, and $8. Some titles will be free to download as well.

The DSi will be shipping on Nov. 1 in Japan (in black and white color variants) at a price of about $185. Europe [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/dsi-to-launch-in-europe-spring-2009] will be getting the DSi in spring 2009. Additional information about a planned U.S. release is expected to be announced at Nintendo's press conference later today.

DarkHyth

Apr 10, 2008
I don't see the photo-editing feature being anything more than "scribble on a photo" to be honest. But hey, it might surprise me. Also, sacrificing GBA slot for the option to download games from a store... I'll pass. There are already ways to do that.

Murmur95

Sep 18, 2008
i dont understand why they do not upgrade the ds...it gets laggy for certain games and showing its age.

i think this is just a marketing ploy for them to get more money before they release a ds2 just like the ps-one

BleachedBlind

May 19, 2008
Here's me hoping that Nintendo would make an announcement that interested me, like some actual games, and instead they tell me that they're putting a camera and MP3 capabilities on the DS. This is starting to feel like a familiar trend.

TomNook

Feb 21, 2008
I know why Nintendo is doing this. They're in league with Apple! Jobs and Miyamoto have created an unholy alliance to get more money. Soon the DS will be identical to the iPhone, Nintendo is bringing customers from the gamer side while Apple is bringing people from the snoopy yuppie side. My god its so simple...

SecretTacoNinja

Jul 8, 2008
I doubt it will sell like hotcakes, I'm not interested, if I got some money I'd spend it on a normal DS Lite.

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
TomNook post=7.73021.781406 said:
I know why Nintendo is doing this. They're in league with Apple! Jobs and Miyamoto have created an unholy alliance to get more money. Soon the DS will be identical to the iPhone, Nintendo is bringing customers from the gamer side while Apple is bringing people from the snoopy yuppie side. My god its so simple...
The new "i" makes this uncomfortably possible. And the styling has been getting rather... Mac-esque.

RAWKSTAR

Jun 5, 2008
Ooo that SD slot looks great!

Why the camera though? Ahh well, let us see what happens

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I think this is pretty sweet, actually. I wouldn't mind picking one of these up.

Doesn't play GBA games? Oh well, I don't either.
Built in web browser? Sweet deal!
SD slot? Sweet deal!

Sign me up.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Since that camera take shots at a decent resolution (640x480 is acceptable for happy snapping) Nintendo will have managed to replace a Mac and Wacom in my field work bag. Nice, that's about £1500 staying in my account come spring.

Is this version going to be a bit better made than the DSlite? Granted my current one has been perfectly reliable, it just looks and feels a bit ropey on the build quality front. Parts not quite fitting together and injection sprues still visible etc...

Has there been anymore news on what Nintendo is doing to homebrew users and the makers of M3/similar cartridges?

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
with $2, $5, and $8 prices, I'm a little skeptical on the download system. Some GBA games still cost about $20, so if it really is old games, awesome, but I have a feeling it's gonna turn into the iPhone app store.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
PSP been doing well in Japan. Maybe Nintendo is trying to copy? (Japan PSP has camera attachment available)

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
Guess you guys haven't seen the new itouch commercials? Nintendo Voip Phones are inc as well.

Al_

Aug 15, 2008
Well, that kills off the chances of a sequel to "Guitar Hero On Tour" then, doesn't it?

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
Bah, just ain't worth it. It's going to go for $200+ dollars, which IMO totally isn't worth the minimal upgrades.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Though having slightly more additions than the PSP-3000 I'm wondering what else could they possibly add to their handhelds without making it a multimedia device?