Gamecube Ports Pikmin, Metroid for Wii

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Gamecube Ports Pikmin, Metroid for Wii

Nintendo's Wii de Asobu program is bringing upgraded Gamecube classics like Pikmin, Metroid Prime and five other titles to the Wii for discount prices.

Translated into English as "Play on the Wii Selection," Wii de Asobu is a Nintendo effort to improve the graphics and reconfigure controls to fit the Wii Remote for older Gamecube games so they can be resold on the Wii, following the company's profitable tradition of re-releasing the same games for new systems.

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, which originally used a drum peripheral, will offer Wii bongo drumming with the Remote on December 11. Captain Olimar and the first Pikmin game come to the Wii on Christmas. Chibi Robo!, Pikmin 2, Mario Tennis GC, Metroid Prime, and Metroid Prime 2 Dark Echoes.

These seven titles will be sold at budget prices of 3,800 yen, approximately $36.

Source: IGN [http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/915/915529p1.html]

Human Bomb

Sep 29, 2007
These are all fantastic games (though some of which I hadn't played), and I hope people get on the wagon and pick them up.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I'm not sure about this.

On the the one hand, some fantastic game are getting exposed to a much wider audience than on the Cube.

But then again, they all exist already and will probably all play better with a Cube controller, both the games and controller being dirt cheap and Wii compatible. Nintendo's old trick of selling the same product five times.

Ah well, if the people are dumb enough to fall for it, the people deserve it...

Limos

Jun 15, 2008
Hopefully any old flaws in the games will be smoothed over and more people will get into Nintendo games that are slightly farther up the casual-hardcore spectrum.

Nov 6, 2007
It's good for the people who haven't played them though. I'm glad Pikmin will be getting some extra exposure for this as it's a really fun and original game. Think of all the people who wouldn't have played REZ, or Ikaruga, or Gunstar Heroes if those games hadn't been re-released.

GoldenShadow

May 13, 2008
I already own Metroid Prime 1 and 2 for Gamecube, but I must have the new versions! I love the Metroid Prime 3 controls more than anything. Plus better graphics. yay I hope they can include the classics somehow. I have metroid 1 and super metroid on my virtual console. still missing the gameboy ones.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
As someone who missed out on the supposed awesomeness of Mario Tennis, and on Metroid Prime 2 (supposedly not a great game, but I'm seriously missing something having played 1 and 3) and Pikmin 2, this is pretty good.

HOWEVER... if this ends up being what Miyamoto was hinting about at E3, I'd be very annoyed

Darth Marsden

Sep 12, 2008
I wouldn't have cared less about this if they hadn't mentioned the first two Metroid Primes. The controls for Corruption were some of the best for a console FPS that I've had the pleasure of using, and if they can port that over to the others in the series, I think they've got a winner.

As for the other games:

- Chibi Robo! was a platformer that controlled pretty well with the GC controller. What's there to change?
- Donkey Kong Jungle Beat really made good use of the Bongos, and it's hard to see them replaced by waggling the Wiimote around.
- Mario Tennis could work well if they use the controls from Wii (Sports) Tennis.
- Pikmin never really interested me, but if there is a new game being developed, then it's good business sense to rerelease the firs two.

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Lvl 64 Klutz post=7.73147.786001 said:
As someone who missed out on the supposed awesomeness of Mario Tennis, and on Metroid Prime 2 (supposedly not a great game, but I'm seriously missing something having played 1 and 3) and Pikmin 2, this is pretty good.

HOWEVER... if this ends up being what Miyamoto was hinting about at E3, I'd be very annoyed
Cammie Dunaway from Nintendo's marketing department has stated that this is NOT what Miyamoto is referring to, and another Pikmin is on the way.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Why can't they just drop the pretense already and just say "the gamecubee worked better"?

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
If anything, this will be good for people who missed out on some of these games. although, I am starting to lose my patience. I think it would be nice to have some sort of new series considering the newest series Nintendo made was Pikmin (unless you count Chibi Robo).

Oct 19, 2008
Why don't you just use the original GameCube discs and play with a GameCube controller using the Wii console?
Anyone else thinking that Nintendo are simply scraping the bottom of the barrel?

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
Kahoony117 said:
Why don't you just use the original GameCube discs and play with a GameCube controller using the Wii console?
Because that still won't make people who haven't heard of these series familiar with them. Imagine how much more Pikmin 3 would sell if Nintendo introduced the first two to people who's first console was a Wii. It was because of this that now Chibi Robo! is on my radar.

Oct 19, 2008
thatstheguy said:
Kahoony117 said:
Because that still won't make people who haven't heard of these series familiar with them. Imagine how much more Pikmin 3 would sell if Nintendo introduced the first two to people who's first console was a Wii.
Touche good sir.

Limos

Jun 15, 2008
I'll probably be picking up Pikmin for the Wii. I always wanted to try it, but I didn't have a gamecube. So this is right up my alley.

Also the controls for Metroid Prime 3 were absolutely perfect. It's probably the game that's made the best use of the motion controls and point-and-click interface so far. Everything was very fluid and intuitive.

Applying those controls to the original metroid prime games would work amazingly.