Analyst Says Sony Should Consider PS3 Price Cut

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
Analyst Says Sony Should Consider PS3 Price Cut

Still paying $399 for your PS3s? Some say you shouldn't be.

Microsoft's recent price cut of the Xbox 360 appears to be boosting system sales, while a lack of any cuts for the PS3 is expected to hurt Sony during the holiday season, according to EEDAR [http://www.eedar.com/] analyst Jesse Divnich. Without a PS3 price drop prior to the Christmas rush, he predicts Sony will lose major sales to its competition.

In a research note [http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/ps3s-399-price-simply-too-steep-says-analyst/?biz=] published in advance of the release of September's NPD sales data, Divnich predicts the PS3 will sell only 215,000 units versus the Xbox 360's 320,000 for the month. Sony's PSP is expected to sell 235,000 units. In comparison, Nintendo is coming out on top with expected sales of 600,000 units each for both its Wii and DS systems.

"The $399 price point is simply too steep to entice the casual and mainstream markets, regardless of how great Resistance 2 and LittleBigPlanet may be," says Divnich on the PS3. He also notes the Xbox 360 is showing an anticipated 31 percent increase in sales over the previous month, which he largely attributes to its drop in price. "For the PS3, we expect weekly sales to decrease by seven percent to 43,000 units a week."

Divnich is urging Sony to consider a price reduction for the PS3 this holiday season. But will they listen?

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
This advice brought to you from the firm of No, Shit, and Sherlock. That Shit, he's a great stockbroker, but I like No and Sherlock more. They have gumption.

And, of course Sony won't listen. According to the article on their opinion of the new DS, only 12 year olds buy Nintento products anyway. Honestly it's like the United States government is running Sony.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I think i'll join the "No Shit Sherlock" wagon? You don't need an "analyst" to tell you this!

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
AceDiamond post=7.73497.798331 said:
Their fault for making a Blu-Ray player first and a game console second
Hey, hey!... It's a media centre, not a Blu-ray player.

Though, as Wombat so eloquently put it, this is a no-brainer.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Indigo_Dingo post=7.73497.798527 said:
TsunamiWombat post=7.73497.798008 said:
This advice brought to you from the firm of No, Shit, and Sherlock. That Shit, he's a great stockbroker, but I like No and Sherlock more. They have gumption.

And, of course Sony won't listen. According to the article on their opinion of the new DS, only 12 year olds buy Nintento products anyway. Honestly it's like the United States government is running Sony.
Its not so much won't listen, as can't listen. The things already being sold at a major loss, it remains to be seen if its possible to make it any cheaper.
I believe a part of the PS3 is getting cheaper to make, I forgot what part it is but I think it's the chip or something. With that getting cheaper to make, we could possibly see a PS3-price cut but i'm not sure how likely it is.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Indigo_Dingo post=7.73497.798348 said:
TsunamiWombat post=7.73497.798315 said:
Their fault for making a system so expensive to produce.
Their fault for making a good system?
If your system is not appropriate for the time and place it is in, it's not a good system. I don't care if it can bring about the second coming of Jesus- Sony overshot it's goal and hit itself in the ass (through some strange mangling of gravity and physics only Sony or Mario are capable of- yeah, thats a Mario Galaxy reference, the little planets you can run around, get it?). Too much stuff, too expensive, too soon.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Why are these Analysts randomly popping up and looking into gaming? Why don't they just stick with what they are good at?

Y'know...anal.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Indigo_Dingo post=7.73497.798751 said:
TsunamiWombat post=7.73497.798581 said:
Indigo_Dingo post=7.73497.798348 said:
TsunamiWombat post=7.73497.798315 said:
Their fault for making a system so expensive to produce.
Their fault for making a good system?
If your system is not appropriate for the time and place it is in, it's not a good system. I don't care if it can bring about the second coming of Jesus- Sony overshot it's goal and hit itself in the ass (through some strange mangling of gravity and physics only Sony or Mario are capable of- yeah, thats a Mario Galaxy reference, the little planets you can run around, get it?). Too much stuff, too expensive, too soon.
Actually, it would appear that it is completely appropriate - both MGS IV and LittleBigPlanet would indicate that.
Yeah, two games totally justify a $400 price tag. Wait no that's the exact opposite. There has been no killer app and no justifiable reason for many to buy a PS3. That is why it's failing. It is not a good system because it has two measly exclusives.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
AceDiamond, do you really think someone would buy a new system for 2 games and play those 2 games only?

This is the problem with the mentality, people just think "I'm gonna see the very short exclusive list on a system to justify it's price tag".

and what the hell? The PS3 has been cut like 10 times, and has so many different SKU's, does everyone just want something for nothing?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico post=7.73497.798760 said:
Why are these Analysts randomly popping up and looking into gaming? Why don't they just stick with what they are good at?

Y'know...anal.
Haha, I see what you did there!

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico post=7.73497.798816 said:
AceDiamond, do you really think someone would buy a new system for 2 games and play those 2 games only?

This is the problem with the mentality, people just think "I'm gonna see the very short exclusive list on a system to justify it's price tag".

and what the hell? The PS3 has been cut like 10 times, and has so many different SKU's, does everyone just want something for nothing?
No but since the 360 does the prime directive of a game console just fine, why would I buy a PS3 for the two amazing games it has that I can't get anywhere else?

Dec 1, 2007
Indigo_Dingo post=7.73497.798840 said:
They figure that the Ps3 should somehow be the same price as the 360 even though its the superior product.
In that case, I think it might have been over-engineered.

A fire extinguisher that can pleasure your wife may be fucking amazing, but it's not going to turn a profit.

Father2u

Sep 24, 2008
Imitation Saccharin post=7.73497.798927 said:
A fire extinguisher that can pleasure your wife may be fucking amazing, but it's not going to turn a profit.
Sure it could.