TGS 2008: Hands On - Prince of Persia

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007

This new Prince is rather a lot like the old Prince - in all the best ways.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Susan Arendt post=6.73671.803856 said:

she clearly has some kind of mystical or spiritual powers, because although she'll climb a wall right along with the Prince, she can also transform into a ball of blue light and fly from place to place.
That's not inborn in all women? Just when you think you know the opposite sex, you learn something new. And here I was thinking transforming into balls of light was just a female-specific trait, like breasts.

That said, I often wonder how many demos mislead. I'm sure there are quite a few. I'm not sure that this is one, but I wouldn't past Ubisoft to create a good idea in concept and then create a passable demo to show it off while doing awful things to it in the full game.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Without the direct involvement of Mr. Mechner I will maintain my skepticism until I lay hands on the final product.

Sir_Montague

Oct 6, 2008
I'm not gonna lie, I don't like the thought of her just following him around sometimes... Seems like it could get annoying. But, just me maybe. I do look forward to everything else the game has to offer... Any news on the movie from anyone?

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
thanks for the hands on of this game. im really excited for it. also this made me laugh out loud

Susan Arendt post=6.73671.803856 said:

if she can do that,why am I spending so much time hauling my ass up walls? -

Feb 13, 2008
Sir_Montague post=6.73671.804271 said:
I'm not gonna lie, I don't like the thought of her just following him around sometimes... Seems like it could get annoying. But, just me maybe. I do look forward to everything else the game has to offer... Any news on the movie from anyone?
Hey! Listen! Hey! Listen!Hey! Listen! Hey! Listen!Hey! Listen! Hey! Listen!Hey! Listen! Hey! Listen!Hey! Listen! Hey! Listen!

*twitch*

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil post=6.73671.805212 said:
Hey! Listen! Hey! Listen!Hey! Listen! Hey! Listen!Hey! Listen! Hey! Listen!Hey! Listen! Hey! Listen!Hey! Listen! Hey! Listen!

*twitch*
I spent so many hours trying to kill that damn thing...But it just wouldn't fucking die.

I stopped a put it away more times than I can remember, but it kept popping out, turning green, and getting in the way of my goddamned bow!

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Actually I can explain the story with the woman. I read it on IGN I believe. Let me see if I can find it.

Edit: Apparently she's one of the last Ahura's, ancient mystics who keep the games Bigbad, Ahriman, imprisoned in the tree of life. Alas, predictably, someone slaughters the rest and destroys the tree, leaving only 'Jedi Trainee' Elika and the Prince to stop it.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
TsunamiWombat post=6.73671.805420 said:
Actually I can explain the story with the woman. I read it on IGN I believe. Let me see if I can find it.

...wind blows gently... grass bends slowly... hears crickets chirping...

Easykill

Sep 13, 2007
Really? I loved the first game but didn't get far at all in the second game. I'm not going to be disappointed again, am I?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Easykill post=6.73671.805476 said:
Really? I loved the first game but didn't get far at all in the second game. I'm not going to be disappointed again, am I?
I don't think so, because I had pretty much the same experience as you. This really, really felt a lot like Sands of Time to me.

And although she's always tagging along, she's so helpful, and animated so perfectly, that she seems more like a partner than a nuisance. That said, I have to point out that I couldn't hear anything, so I have no idea if she's chattering away like an inane monkey the entire time.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil post=6.73671.805212 said:

*twitch*
Fable 2

Yap! Woof! Yap! Woof! Yap! Woof! Yap! Woof! Yap! Woof! Yap! Woof! Yap! Woof! Yap! Woof! Yap!
Yap! Woof! Yap! Woof! Yap! Woof! Yap! Woof! Yap! Woof! Yap! Woof! Yap! Woof! Yap! Woof!

*Safty off*

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Great, I'm looking forward to Prince of Persia. By any chance, have they got a name yet?

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
TsunamiWombat post=6.73671.809801 said:
stompy post=6.73671.809657 said:
Great, I'm looking forward to Prince of Persia. By any chance, have they got a name yet?
For the Prince, or for the game?
Game. Last I heard, t'was Prince of Persia: Prodigy, but I'm not too sure that's the proper name...

LyonLee

Aug 30, 2007

Edit: Apparently she's one of the last Ahura's, ancient mystics who keep the games Bigbad, Ahriman, imprisoned in the tree of life. Alas, predictably, someone slaughters the rest and destroys the tree, leaving only 'Jedi Trainee' Elika and the Prince to stop it.
My apologies if I'm wrong, but doesn't that story seem a bit cliche? At least they could have gone for something more persia themed, like a genie. Then there could be some hilarious circumstances where he has to hide that she's a genie, or he has to rectify some awkward spell that she cast to try and "help" him, like make an elephant appear in the living room.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
LyonLee post=6.73671.809914 said:

My apologies if I'm wrong, but doesn't that story seem a bit cliche? At least they could have gone for something more persia themed, like a genie. Then there could be some hilarious circumstances where he has to hide that she's a genie, or he has to rectify some awkward spell that she cast to try and "help" him, like make an elephant appear in the living room.
I think they made a TV Show out of that.

Ahriman is -very- persian themed, it's the force of malevolence and evil in the worlds oldest monotheistic religeon- Zoroastranism. In Zoroastranism though, rather then Good v Evil it was Order v Chaos- Ahriman being the representation of chaos, entropy, and deciet.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
It's based on Zoroastrianism? When I saw the trailer they said it was about the forces of darkness and using the light to blah blah blah generic plot blah blah.

Geez, why would a video game with a thoughtful single-player plot not brag about it?

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
TsunamiWombat post=6.73671.809920 said:

Ahriman is -very- persian themed, it's the force of malevolence and evil in the worlds oldest monotheistic religeon- Zoroastranism. In Zoroastranism though, rather then Good v Evil it was Order v Chaos- Ahriman being the representation of chaos, entropy, and deciet.
Also mysticism and mystics have a strong tie to ancient Middle Eastern cultures, there's even a sect of Islam that practices it.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz post=6.73671.810667 said:
TsunamiWombat post=6.73671.809920 said:

Also mysticism and mystics have a strong tie to ancient Middle Eastern cultures, there's even a sect of Islam that practices it.
That's actually a very near copy of one of the Zoroastrian apocalypse myths.