Peter Molyneux Would Like To Redo His Classics

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Peter Molyneux Would Like To Redo His Classics

Syndicate [http://www.lionhead.com/fable2/], but he's not expecting it to happen anytime soon.

Molyneux, who headed the famed Videogamer.com [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullfrog_Productions] that he'd welcome a chance to have another go at his back catalog.

"I think it would probably be Syndicate or Populous again," he said, before quickly pointing out that it was almost certainly never going to happen. "The rights are completely with EA," he continued, "They're hardly going to pick up the phone and say, 'Hi Peter. Why not do these games?' They'd want to keep it for themselves I would suspect."

Despite wanting to do it himself, Molyneux added that he'd have no problem at all if EA took it upon themselves to release updated versions of his older games as downloadable titles. "Oh I'd love it. It would be fantastic. I've got no qualms of somebody else doing it," he said. "I'd just love to see it updated, the concept kept alive. It would be second best but it would still be great."

I like to have a little fun [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86717-Fable-2-Will-Have-Online-Co-op-Gameplay-After-All] at his expense now and then, but the truth is that games like Populous, Magic Carpet and my own personal favorite, Syndicate, were landmark games and established Molyneux in my estimation as a designer beyond all reproach. Regardless of the ultimate success of Fable 2, Molyneux's influence on the industry has been immense, and the opportunity to play an updated release of his greatest works would be sweet indeed.

maxusy3k

May 17, 2008
Syndicate was whole worlds of awesome. I enjoyed Syndicate Wars too but it felt so much like a different game that I could only really appreciate it on any level once I stopped trying to recreate the fun I had playing the original.

Some sort of updated - or hell, even just a rerelease in some form - Syndicate would be fantastic. It might even give me the chance to actually 'finish' the game. Hearing the words 'Atlantic Accelerator' together still gives me shivers.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
I wouldn't mind seeing an updated Populous, assuming it doesn't suck.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Syndicate is one of my favorite PC games ever made. I don't know if there has ever been a game situation cooler than trooping around with a mob of mind-controlled citizens who have armed themselves from the corpses of your enemies.

maxusy3k

May 17, 2008
Virgil post=7.73695.804806 said:
Syndicate is one of my favorite PC games ever made. I don't know if there has ever been a game situation cooler than trooping around with a mob of mind-controlled citizens who have armed themselves from the corpses of your enemies.
Particularly when said citizens have picked up mind control devices for themselves. I managed to crash my Amiga 500 with that scenario.

Good times.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Someone put Molyneux in a padded room in the same insane asylum they ought to build to house George Lucas. I don't want to know what his re-imagining of those classics would end up like.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Rereleases of any of those titles would be awesome, and I'd love to see them, even more so if it means he'll stop talking for a while.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz post=7.73695.805201 said:
Rereleases of any of those titles would be awesome, and I'd love to see them, even more so if it means he'll stop talking for a while.
Unless he Lucas's it up.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Personally, I want even more new IP's from Peter, I love just about all of his games. They all have such charm to them that I just sucked into them every time. Its okay though if he goes back and brings those classics to a whole new generation of gamers...if he does it right of course =P

Feb 13, 2008
TsunamiWombat post=7.73695.805366 said:
Lvl 64 Klutz post=7.73695.805201 said:
Unless he Lucas's it up.
I find it hard to imagine Lucas'ing up Syndicate...

Actually, given the Australian Government these days, maybe not so hard.

"Bonzer game you got there mate, but can you cut out all the blood, burning and weaponary. And can you add in some quicktime events, inane chatter NPCS and leaps of faith?"

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
SimuLord post=7.73695.805183 said:
Someone put Molyneux in a padded room in the same insane asylum they ought to build to house George Lucas. I don't want to know what his re-imagining of those classics would end up like.
They would probably contain a dog... that you couldn't control(!!!)

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Allowing these old games to be digitally distributed: great idea.

Letting him alter the game to be re-released: don't feed Lucas v.2

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Syndicate was a great game and Syndicate Wars was even better. I remember all the moving billboards in that game showed 2000AD comic strips. Judge dredd Rogue Trooper et al