Blizzcon 08: Hands On - Diablo III

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Blizzcon 08: Hands On - Diablo III

Blizzcon 08: Diablo III Hands-On

Some people are here for Wrath of the Lich King, and some people are here for StarCraft 2 - some people are certainly here for both. But let's not kid ourselves, here: almost everybody here at Blizzcon '08 wants to get their hands on the playable demo build of Diablo III. It's the gleaming crown jewel of the convention, even beside two stellar titles with massive, devoted fanbases in their own right.

I've been lucky enough to get the chance to play through the demo level twice now - once as a Barbarian, and once as the newly-announced Wizard class. Even with just this one level, in an obviously incomplete build of the game, there's something that's become crystal-clear to me (and hundreds of others here at Blizzcon):

Diablo III is going to be a masterpiece.

Before anything else, it needs to be stated - and cannot be overstated - that the fears that Diablo fans might have had about the direction of the game's art and style are wholly and completely unwarranted. Anyone who was concerned that D3 wouldn't be true to the grim and gothic tone of the first two games will be reassured from the first few moments spent running through the ruins of Tristram.

This is not "isometric World of Warcraft." This game is a Diablo game through and through.

This isn't to say, though, that the developers of Diablo III haven't taken a page or two from the WoW playbook. It's much more common to see abilities with short "cooldown" timers, for instance. One of the Barbarian moves, for example, is a devastating stomp that deals damage to all enemies in a small area around the character and stuns them. However, it takes 8 or so seconds for the skill to recharge, so it can't just be spammed at will.

While players are still able to assign abilities to the left/right mouse buttons, the potion bar from Diablo II has been replaced by a hotbar for up to six abilities or items - you can put potions on it too, if you'd like. Since two skills can be mapped to RMB (Tab switches between them), this means that a possible total of nine skills and abilities are at the players' fingertips at any one time.

While the core of Diablo is, is and has always been, spam-clicking on baddies, this adds slightly more depth to the gameplay. The developers have said [http://www.warcry.com/articles/view/conferences/blizzcon_08/5357-Blizzcon-08-Diablo-3-Game-Design] that they want Diablo III to be a better action game; a game that isn't simply about just running in and killing everything that moves. To that end, while the game can theoretically be played with just a mouse, smart use of skills on the keyboard makes it much easier.

For instance, while playing the Barbarian, I mapped the more "spammy" abilities to the mouse buttons, and saved longer cooldowns - like the stomp - for the skill bar. while adventuring in the catacombs beneath Tristram, some of the enemies hide behind thick shields, blocking my Barbarian's attacks. While it's possible to simply wear through the shields by sheer relentless assault, that takes time - and when they're being backed by a squadron of archers, time is precious. So instead, using the stomp stuns them, making them drop their shields - and from there, they fall easily. Another enemy has a massive axe that does quite a bit of damage if it hits you. However, if you can bait it into swinging and dodge, the axe will get lodged in the floor, allowing you to counterattack freely.

Environmental destruction is a fun new part of Diablo III, and the first time I slashed at the chain holding a chandelier up, causing it to fall on my foes ... that was a cool moment. Even the simply cosmetic aspect of the feature feels fulfilling: when my Cleave attack took out a chunk of the nearby wall in addition to my undead foes, that was really the first moment where I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that D3 would live up to its legacy and the Blizzard name.

Looks like it's time to stretch out my mouse-clicking fingers. King Leoric isn't going to just kill himself, you know.

...er, again.

Murmur95

Sep 18, 2008
you made a typo
"at Blizzcon '08 wants to get their hands on the playable demo build of Diablo II"
you mean Diablo III

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Fixed. Thanks :p

Edit: Also fixed the "warranted" typo. Boy, that totally changed the meaning of that sentence, eh?

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
I won't go as far calling it a masterpiece just yet. So many potentially great games turned up so badly at release in a few months, that I just can't expect anything to be good. Let's see if Dio III lives up to the hype, which I very much doubt.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Well, I'm just saying. If that first bit is indicative of the rest of the game?

Plus, it's Blizzard. They've got a bit of a reputation for these things. My concern going in was that I wasn't sure if they could get the *feel* right without feeling like "Diablo 2, now in 3D!"

Which they did admirably.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I worry a little about features that developers get excited about, like destructible environments and using surroundings to fight enemies, mostly because too often developers will brag about the feature, put a whole bunch of said feature in the first few areas, then abandon it for the rest of the game.

That being said, I fully trust Blizzard in not screwing this up, and it being an incredible game.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
It's funny you mention that in particular. I had the chance to sit in with J Allen Brack and Jay Wilson for a joint D3 / WoW fansite press conference, and one of the questions was about, are there any things that you as developers get really excited about that fans don't, or that fans get really excited about that you didn't think was such a big deal?

Jay Wilson - one of the lead Game Designers for D3 - mentioned destructible environments in particular as something where the player reaction to it was way more than they'd anticipated. That was something that for them was cool, but really secondary, even tertiary. So I don't think you need to worry so much about that :)

Ralackk

Aug 12, 2008
Could you provide a link snowplow to where you heard that the stats were automatic? This is not something I can personally see as a good thing. It's going to limit possible build designs not being able to allocate your own stats.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
If no one does it anytime soon, I'll get the link for the automatic stat distribution after I get off work, but it is happening (damn the state blocking gaming sites. I dunno how they completely missed The Escapist though).
The 4 player max thing is rumor until proven otherwise though.

Blizzard has been sucking on WoW's fun bags for so long that they've forgotten how to make a fun game. It's complete horseshit that they're making what amounts to a single player WoW now.
Rather than each class allowing for fun and creativity, it's going to be just like WoW where you pick a specific job rather than just a general class and are not allowed to break that mold. The likes of the Singing Barbarians and the Melee Sorceresses will never be seen again, and that's a huge blow to core of Diablo's gameplay. It's amazing how quickly I went from being really excited after watching the rune system in action to being supremely dissapointed.

Ralackk

Aug 12, 2008
TOGsolid just reminded me of another point to customizable characters. Does anyone know if the gear that drops in the game is going to be class specific like in WoW or if you will be allowed to use whatever gear you like with whatever character?

With stats being automatically assigned I'm leaning towards class specific gear which would actually ruin the long term playability of this game for me. I prided myself on coming up with some truly obscure PvP character designs that were still very effective given the right stat and gear combinations. In 1.09 I had a firewall sorceress where the 'cookie cutter' sorceress build was frozen orb and thunder storm. In 1.10 I managed to make a kicker assassin that did insane damage where everyone was going for enigma based necromancers or druids.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The 4-person party and automatic stat allocation were both mentioned at the D3/WoW press conference with J Allen Brack and Jay Wilson (I was there, and did a quick writeup of the highlights [http://www.warcry.com/articles/view/conferences/blizzcon_08/5358-Blizzcon-08-WoW-D3-Press-Conference]). Jay did confirm automatic stat allocation, and said that while the 4-man party wasn't definite yet, it grew more solid day by day.

Honestly though? Just because it isn't exactly like D2 doesn't mean it's worse. Wilson's reasoning on both points were sound. In Diablo 2, if you were playing for the first time and didn't know how to properly spend your points, your character ended up sucking. And once you *did* know how, there was really only one right way to do it 98% of the time. Almost every same-level Sorc or same-level Barb would have near-identical stats.

The four-person party is something they're not final on, but remember, these guys have all the data :p In D2, if you ever found an eight-person game, it was extremely, extremely rare to find all eight people playing together. In their testing, anything more than four just started to feel cluttered and crowded.

Diablo 3 is not Diablo 2. Something that might have worked well in D2 might not work so well in D3. But that doesn't in any way make Diablo 3 feel like a "single-player WoW," like you said. Really, after playing it for a bit, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is a worthy successor to the Diablo name.

Also, while I'm not sure how random the exteriors will be, you reminded me of something I'd forgotten - the randomized dungeons work incredibly well. I only played it twice so I didn't REALLY notice how much was different, but there were definitely moments of "Oh hey, that's not the way I went last time..." it's really subtle, and works very well.

I haven't seen any class-specific loot so far. I saw blue unidentified Quilted Pants drop for both my Wizard and my Barbarian, for instance. It was in general the same sort of loot - like I had a shield drop for the Wizard that I could equip, or while playing the Barbarian found some items that said (paraphrasing here) something like "+X health, +Y mana (Wizard/Witch Doctor Only) [since the Barb doesn't use mana]). Since all three of the classes could use it, it seems likely to me that they're going more with the generic armor from D2

That said, maybe that'll change with later and more powerful gear sets.

But yes. If you're worried Diablo 3 won't be a great game, you can relax. If you're worried Diablo 3 won't be a FUN game, you can relax :p If you're worried that Diablo 3 won't be absolutely identical to Diablo 2... well, uh, in that case I don't know what to tell you. But it's *far* from "single-player WoW," and everyone I've spoken to who got the chance to play it at Blizzcon is hugely psyched.

SonofSeth

Dec 16, 2007
I can't help myself but take Blizzards word over the word of some fan who has bits and pieces of data from internet constructed into his warped, biased view.

If they say the changes are for the better, I'll believe that, I'm just strange like that.

Comment to help me facilitate my opinion is "Blizzard is so stupid for doing this" at that point I know that I can safely ignore further comments coming from that person.

Ralackk

Aug 12, 2008
CantFaketheFunk post=6.73803.811023 said:
The 4-person party and automatic stat allocation were both mentioned at the D3/WoW press conference with J Allen Brack and Jay Wilson (I was there, and did a quick writeup of the highlights [http://www.warcry.com/articles/view/conferences/blizzcon_08/5358-Blizzcon-08-WoW-D3-Press-Conference]). Jay did confirm automatic stat allocation, and said that while the 4-man party wasn't definite yet, it grew more solid day by day.

Honestly though? Just because it isn't exactly like D2 doesn't mean it's worse. Wilson's reasoning on both points were sound. In Diablo 2, if you were playing for the first time and didn't know how to properly spend your points, your character ended up sucking. And once you *did* know how, there was really only one right way to do it 98% of the time. Almost every same-level Sorc or same-level Barb would have near-identical stats.

I haven't seen any class-specific loot so far. I saw blue unidentified Quilted Pants drop for both my Wizard and my Barbarian, for instance. It was in general the same sort of loot - like I had a shield drop for the Wizard that I could equip, or while playing the Barbarian found some items that said (paraphrasing here) something like "+X health, +Y mana (Wizard/Witch Doctor Only) [since the Barb doesn't use mana]). Since all three of the classes could use it, it seems likely to me that they're going more with the generic armor from D2
I can understand why they would remove stats, though most people may of went with the generic builds you could do some nice thing with them like make a barbarian with stupid amounts of life. Also the majority of players when playing an amazon dumped most their stats into dexterity at least in 1.09, I went for lots of life rather then dexterity and put a crazy amount of life leech on my character with as much damage reduction gear as possible. They could of course make up for the stats by adding a lot of different types of armour, but that may just limit what you are able to go for if you wanted say a high life build.

I'm happy to hear that the gear will be generic though as that is a large part of what makes Diablo II better then other action rpg's that pidgeon hole gear choices based on class.

The four-person party is something they're not final on, but remember, these guys have all the data :p In D2, if you ever found an eight-person game, it was extremely, extremely rare to find all eight people playing together. In their testing, anything more than four just started to feel cluttered and crowded.
If four is what works the best I can't say it would effect me to much. I personally only ever played with a max of four people I knew anyway but it may suck for people that actually did play with eight other people.

That said, maybe that'll change with later and more powerful gear sets.
They had a few class specific gear sets in Diablo II anyway like the immortal kings set. So as long as it's just another choice and not a must use set of armour I'll have no problem with it.

I guess my main point is that Diablo II had a ton of customization which really helped add depth to a fairly shallow genre of game(It's not called a click fest for nothing). I would just be a bit disappointed if they removed alot of that just to make it a little more casual friendly when you have just started playing the game. I have no doubt though that it will be a great game, the question is will it be a 30 hour great game or a 5 year great game.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I guess my main point is that Diablo II had a ton of customization which really helped add depth to a fairly shallow genre of game(It's not called a click fest for nothing). I would just be a bit disappointed if they removed alot of that just to make it a little more casual friendly when you have just started playing the game. I have no doubt though that it will be a great game, the question is will it be a 30 hour great game or a 5 year great game.
Thats a reasonable concern and I respect you for not being "LOLWHUT RAINBOWS!?!? OMG BLIZZARD SOLD OUT FOR MONEY AND FAIL AND ACTIVISION RUINED THEM". Hateboys irritate me more then fanboys.

I didn't know about the automatic stat allocation, hmmm, that is somewhat odd. Why even have a stat system if thats the case? I think they're focusing all their customizability into the skills though, because each class is supposed to have somewhere in the range of 12-36 passive skills, or something. I remember hearing the Wizard had 3 passive skills, for each of the four tiers, in all 3 of it's skill tree's- so, 36 different passive skills.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised if "automatic stat allocation" turns out to be just a quickfire button for players who don't give a damn about "tuned builds" and just want to mosh their way through the campaign for the first time, as an option on the same window as the regular stat-adjustment.

TinariKao

Oct 13, 2008
I never understood why what I felt was the most simple solution to the problem that "static stat progression" caused has been used. If a person new to the game puts points in places that amount to a terrible build (I did that when I got Diablo 2) then they're going to be a substandard member in a party or have a massively difficult time in single player.

So, why do these games never offer chances to redo your stats? The MODS I played most for Diablo 2 had a feature which would allow me to redo my stats and skills from level 1 and up when I wanted. This would let me go from high level frost sorceress to enchant based melee sorceress to random pure lightning type. I could do it all and enjoy my single character I brought all the way up without having to have four or five different sorceresses in my character list that I wasted my time leveling up just to bounce between different types of builds.

It goes mostly the same way with any mod for a lot of RPG games I played. Add in a system for reallocating your stats and abilities (Either through payment of in game gold, quests or otherwise) and you can suddenly become an entirely different person without the toil of restarting at level 1 to correct an ignorant mistake your made somewhere that is crippling your characters potential.

Oh, my first post. Hello everyone. I'm Tinari (but that name was Taken, so...) nice to meet you.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
"Diablo III is going to be a masterpiece."

I'm starting to wonder if the hands in this 'Hands On' are doing something inappropriate : /

I liked Diablo 1. I feel it managed to shape a dark atmosphere, even though the gameplay was hack n slash. The script and levels in D2 were jokes. It reminded me of some cheesy Marvel Comics work. The different areas were randomized, but they were so empty and boring that they might as well've not been. Removing randomized spells was fine. Sometimes in D1 you could get pretty screwed if you got a bad set of spells or equipment. However, I think it was a bad idea to remove randomized quests. Many quests in D2 were piled on top of eachother too, so for example Lut Gholein has no more than three quests.

The movie sequences between levels were excellent though, and had the same powerfull gloom as D1. Blizzard is losing speed, I feel. As big as they are I think they should create a new IP soon before they stagnate even further.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Randomized quests are returning in D3, fear not :)

I hear your concern about the randomization in areas where they felt empty and boring ... honestly, it didn't feel that way to me at all. The dungeon was randomized, but it was still *interesting*.

Also, the script and atmosphere is very well done. A nice touch is the ability to pick up journals (for instance, King Leoric's), and play them back with voiceover while you quest. Leoric's was very well voice-acted, and fans of D1 should appreciate the references :)