Warhammer Online Hits 750,000 Users

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Warhammer Online Hits 750,000 Users

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning [http://www.mythicentertainment.com/] has hit 750,000 registered players, most of whom have joined the forces of Destruction, forcing Mythic to take steps to correct the imbalance.

It's an impressive figure although, as EA [http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=257359] says the game is shaping up to be one of the best-selling PC titles of 2008.

"Thanks to our players, the war between the Realms continues to escalate at an incredible pace," said Mythic co-founder Mark Jacobs. "The battlefields are alive with three quarters of a million players fighting for the forces of Order and Destruction in truly epic and unparalleled Realm vs. Realm battles!"

Unfortunately, the forces of Order and Destruction are rather heavily out of balance, leading to Destruction domination of the early days of the game. In response, Mythic has begun offering a 20 percent bonus in experience and renown to Order players across 13 different servers. The company also announced [http://herald.warhammeronline.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=373] on October 10 that it has increased the difficulty of Fortress Lords and contested capital city guards, because in their original state they were "not providing the intended level of challenge."

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
These things take time, lets see how it goes. It'll even out I hope.

Not a whole lot they can do to fix it except maybe add those cut classes, like the Imperial tank class the Knight of the Blazing Sun.

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
TomNook post=7.73913.815822 said:
Is it bad that I keep thinking that SS is from WoW?
ob Penny Arcade:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/04/10/

That will be all.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Our realm is close to getting to a city seige....

I give it another week! or two...

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Most MMOs have similar UIs. Warhammer's a fantasy MMO, so it's not really that bad.

It's the same one from this article [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.73039] which I think is a little disappointing. Not terribly important but still...

Glad to see that Mythic is taking strides to make Order more attractive to try and balance out population to make it a more even game. Smart move imho, Blizzard did no such thing as I recall in all my years of playing WoW.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
So they announce the ammount of players registered TOTAL before it's even possible to know how many of them are actualy going to stay? Great going there EA, now lets see how that "2008 best selling game" holds up when WotLK comes out.

TomNook

Feb 21, 2008
Amnestic post=7.73913.817724 said:
Most MMOs have similar UIs. Warhammer's a fantasy MMO, so it's not really that bad.

It's the same one from this article [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.73039] which I think is a little disappointing. Not terribly important but still...

Glad to see that Mythic is taking strides to make Order more attractive to try and balance out population to make it a more even game. Smart move imho, Blizzard did no such thing as I recall in all my years of playing WoW.
Thats because the population balances evened each other out on other fronts. In my experience, the Horde generally got the mature adults and the Alliance got all the little kids who wanted to be Legolas.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
TomNook post=7.73913.817817 said:
Amnestic post=7.73913.817724 said:

Thats because the population balances evened each other out on other fronts. In my experience, the Horde generally got the mature adults and the Alliance got all the little kids who wanted to be Legolas.
Horde also got all the teens who thought it'd be "cool" to be evil and be dicks to everything. Alliance also got the mature adults who thought that it was a more noble side than the Horde (though Lore may disagree in certain areas). The whole Horde=Mature, alliance=kiddy is pure bull. Though I suppose you did say "in your experience", you have to understand that this isn't, and wasn't, the case.

Steel Lord

Jul 23, 2008
750,000 players, and I wish I was one of them :( I used to be quite the Warhammer geek and, to cut a long story short, this game looks friggin' sweet. Unfortunately this archaic difference engine I call a PC struggles to run Diablo, nevermind the latest and greatest.

And, with regards to the imbalance, what did Mythic expect? Everyone knows that bad guys are the coolest, and this is especially true of the Warhammer universe where the baddies have more character in their leather-clad, sinisterly-spiked pinkies than the Forces Of Order could dream about.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
They acknowledged early on that the balance would be difficult. I would so play Order... oh but Orkz are so ...tempting...

Also i'm broke and have a shitty PC.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
it depends on the realm, the one i'm in it really seesaws between order and chaos, in battlegrounds it seems that order wins a lot, mostly because the destruction ppl suck as playing as a team

as for the ui, it's better than WoW's, it's way more customizable and movable, as of right now i have no need for addons like i did in wow

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
cleverlymadeup post=7.73913.819169 said:
it depends on the realm, the one i'm in it really seesaws between order and chaos, in battlegrounds it seems that order wins a lot, mostly because the destruction ppl suck as playing as a team

as for the ui, it's better than WoW's, it's way more customizable and movable, as of right now i have no need for addons like i did in wow
I remember reading that in the gamespy blog, it basically did everything a fully modded WoW interface did.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
Steel Lord post=7.73913.818008 said:
750,000 players, and I wish I was one of them :( I used to be quite the Warhammer geek and, to cut a long story short, this game looks friggin' sweet. Unfortunately this archaic difference engine I call a PC struggles to run Diablo, nevermind the latest and greatest.

And, with regards to the imbalance, what did Mythic expect? Everyone knows that bad guys are the coolest, and this is especially true of the Warhammer universe where the baddies have more character in their leather-clad, sinisterly-spiked pinkies than the Forces Of Order could dream about.
It's a personality thing really. Dwarves being drunk, Elves being pricks, and humans being..well..human? Doesn't exactly make for anything too exciting these days. It's not Mythic's fault mind you, nor is it Games Workshop's. Warhammer has been around for a long long time, so that's just how it is. It shouldn't be any surprise that order might have waning numbers at the beginning. Especially since everyone knows that *coats himself in green paint* ORCS ARE DAH BIGGEST AND DAH STRONGEST!

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
I remember reading that in the gamespy blog, it basically did everything a fully modded WoW interface did.
S'all well and good I guess, suppose it's useful considering how PvP oriented WAR is. Never needed to 'mod out' my interface in WoW personally, few addons for threat meters and atlas loot, but the UI and interface effectively stayed pretty much the same.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I wonder how many gold sellers were counted in that 10million number WoW was boasting? Considering WAR has been out for 3 weeks and has racked up 10k gold spammers?

WoW is only a pve game, at PvE it is the best. WAR is a PvP game, at PvP it is the best. I guess we will see how the best game of the year goes... but I bet it isnt WoTLK.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Well, the good news about WAR getting solid legs is that competition encourages both Mythic and Blizzard to step up their game. Which is best for the industry in the long run :D

Sigh. I suppose I should really level up my Sorceress...

Father2u

Sep 24, 2008
Bretty post=7.73913.820716 said:
I wonder how many gold sellers were counted in that 10million number WoW was boasting? Considering WAR has been out for 3 weeks and has racked up 10k gold spammers?

WoW is only a pve game, at PvE it is the best. WAR is a PvP game, at PvP it is the best. I guess we will see how the best game of the year goes... but I bet it isnt WoTLK.
How exactly is WoW not a PvP game? Last time I checked, I could go and kill any Alliance players I saw.