EA To Release Two Spore Expansion Packs

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
EA To Release Two Spore Expansion Packs

Spore addicts will soon have more crazy parts to pimp out their creature creations with, but that's not all.

Out of the box, Will Wright's expansive evolutionary PC gaming experiment features options aplenty to create some truly bizarre, cute, and even downright Spore Creepy and Cute Parts Pack [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/84575] on Nov. 18 at an eyebrow raising price of $19.95.

Whether you prefer fanged, monstrous tentacle beasts or cuddly little furballs, the expansion will add 60 new parts, 48 new paint stiles, and 24 new animations. The parts pack will work with both Spore and the Spore Creature Creator.

Additionally, Joystiq reports [http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/13/ea-reveals-new-space-expansion-for-spore-confirms-creepy-and-cu/] EA is also working on a second new expansion for the already massive final space level of the game. The second expansion will reportedly allow your creatures to beam down to planetary surfaces to explore and engage in challenge missions for rewards. You'll also be able to make your own custom missions to share online. The yet-to-be-named space expansion won't be available until spring 2009.

Paying more than a third of the game's purchase price just for a bunch of new parts may not rouse some players to dig out their wallets, but the forthcoming space expansion sounds like it has promise.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Well, it only took them two months. Gee, what were the odds on that one? I wonder if they've addressed the problem with the bulk of the content being designed for stat maximization therefore making anything less than Lv5 essentially invisible past the creature stage.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
Basically a confirmation that Spore will have the same money milking setup as the Sims had. And they wonder why people pirate so much.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
You know what, I played this game at a friends place twice just after launch, and I can't say I've thought of it since then...

I think alot of gamers share my apathy, too. I know a few other people that either bought it or tried it out somewhere, and I don't think any of them are playing it any more.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Lt. Sera post=7.73983.817279 said:
Basically a confirmation that Spore will have the same money milking setup as the Sims had. And they wonder why people pirate so much.
If people keep buying 'em, EA will keep making 'em. Hell, I've got seven Sims 2 expansion packs and will probably pick up Apartment Life if/when my favorite mods get fixed to be AL-compatible. I draw the line at "stuff packs", however, if only because so much good stuff's available free of charge from the community.

Tahmoh

Sep 1, 2008
makes u wonder if this stuff pack was just left overs they took outta the original game what with it coming out so soon.

the space one sounds fun though so i think i'll wait till thats out then grab the stuff pack at the same time since it should have dropped to a 'realistic' price by then.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
SimuLord post=7.73983.817286 said:
I draw the line at "stuff packs", however, if only because so much good stuff's available free of charge from the community.
Which is probably the next thing to take out, capability of modding. I understand the EA gets away with it due to a lot of people simply not caring, but i still feel compelled to give EA shit for it for some reason.

Calobi

Dec 29, 2007
I bought the game. I'll probably check out these. Will I buy them? Maybe, but not likely. I'm all for supporting the artists and developers and what-have-you, but paying $20 for some bonus parts that won't really add to the game? No, thanks.

The other expansion might get bought. However, by then I'm certain so many new games will be out I won't think of Spore that much. I already don't play it any more. Seems like I wasted money on it npw that I think about how much I paid for it. Hindsight's 20/20 I guess.

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
Wow the more I read about Spore, the happier I am strating to feel that I didn't get it.

First we wait years since the original announcment of the game, then we hear about DRM rights and load issues. We hear that the game is largely simplistic and not as deep as we originaly thought it would be. Now a $20 expansion just 2 months after release?

Bah. Keep it.

I think its kinda gauling that in the face of recent criticsm for them to ask for $20 so soon. Makes me think it was ready to be in the initial release and they pulled it just for this micro tranasction pricing schema.

I wish EA would have take the same tact they did with Maxis' Sim City 4, where every few weeks you got one or two downloads for free (landmark buildings). Maybe if they want to charge for an expansion, do so it 6-9 months with much more content than 20 some animations and a few dozen parts.

Double Bah!

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Everytime I hear something about EA it NEVER ceases to baffle me. We knew they would release expansions, but in two months they are already going to release TWO for 20 dollars each.

O_O

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
you know what they should really add to spore? As much as I enjoyed the space stage, as much as I loved expanding my empire across planets, as much as it all rocked, there were several major flaws that made the space stage hard, even unbearable, to play. The fact that you can only get money from the sale of spice is put on a pedestal as the biggest pain in the entire game for severe lack of a system of automation. Out of all the planets and all the individual cities on these planets that I control, why in gods name am I not capable of building a second ship, giving it to the AI, and having him run around collecting and selling spice for me? Why do I have to do that? The play of the game is harshly and inevitably drawn to a rather abrupt halt, like a bicyclist smashing into a brick wall, whenever I run out of sporebucks and have to go on a spice run for more.

Something... Anything... I don't care how... Just give me some kind of automation system to do that for me, it'd make the game so much more playable. I already enjoy spore, but addressing that singular flaw will make me enjoy it so much more.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Nothing they add to Spore will make me play it again.

The core game has so many flaws that not expansion could fix them. Plus I don't want to fed them more money over this game.

I will only play Spore again if they make a new Spore game. One that actually has the features the developers baited us with.