Miyamoto Called a "New Einstein"

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Miyamoto Called a "New Einstein"

Mental Floss magazine has named Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto as one of nine "New Einsteins" whose genius leads them to accomplish feats beyond imagination.

Miyamoto was recognized for the immense influence his games have had on not just gamers, but on the public in general. "This gentle Japanese artist may have a stronger hold on our culture than any other person alive," writes Erik Vance.

Videogame fans are certainly used to thinking of Miyamoto as a genius, but take a moment to consider some of the other Einsteins on the list: Bill Unruh, Professor of Theoretical Physics (he studies black holes), Elizabeth Gould, Professor of Psychology (a pioneer in the field of neurogenesis), Dr. Anthony Atala, Director of the Institute for Regenerative Medicine (developing methods to regrow human organs), and Jay Keasling, Director of the Physical Biosciences Division at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (he's developing bacteria that can cure malaria). Pretty impressive company for a guy who makes videogames.

It's encouraging to see that someone outside of typical gamer culture understands that changing the way we play - or even just acknowledging the importance that we do - is as significant a human achievement as making a breakthrough in science.

You can find the complete list of New Einsteins in the Nov/Dec issue of Mental Floss.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
That does not make any sense whatsoever.

I mean...seriously, what the fuck!? They can't be serious!

A guy who made a game about a princess-saving, jumping plumber put on the same position as a guy who can cure malaria and one who works on growing organs?

There is no way this can be serious...

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Hey, you forgot the Bongo drum game.

Well, it's nice to know that even the mainstream media succumbs to hype every now and then.

TheGreatGonzo26

Oct 8, 2008
As awesome as Miyamoto is, he really shouldn't be on the list for new Einsteins. Video games are great and all, but not great enough to regrow human organs or cure malaria.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Einstein - revolutionised physics and helped bring us into the nuclear age.

Miyamoto - made a few video games.

Fail.

Jeigan

Dec 13, 2007
I don't think it's really that far of a leap. No one is saying that Super Mario Bros. had a revolutionizing plot or anything, but Mario is more recognizable to children than Mickey Mouse. If you go up to anyone and say "Have you heard of Mario, Zelda, or Donkey Kong" they're almost sure to say yes. If Mario suddenly disappeared, a lot of people would be pissed.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
he is a genius, he has made some of the greatest games ever. not just legend of zelda, mario, star fox ect, but also his lesser known games like geist was an absolute treasure and a complete contrast to the stuff he usually does

hayaki

Sep 4, 2008
Uhm. Yes, he's a great guy who we all adore (right?) but an einstein? Not sure the stretch is that good. That's like labeling the guy who pulled your kitten out of a tree a hero.

I mean...c'mon guys. Let's have some persepective here.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Jeigan post=7.74061.820729 said:
I don't think it's really that far of a leap. No one is saying that Super Mario Bros. had a revolutionizing plot or anything, but Mario is more recognizable to children than Mickey Mouse. If you go up to anyone and say "Have you heard of Mario, Zelda, or Donkey Kong" they're almost sure to say yes. If Mario suddenly disappeared, a lot of people would be pissed.
Doesn't really put him in the same league as Einstein though, does it?

I'm sorry but WTF? No. Just no. Miyamoto really should not be in that list.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
i wouldnt, im bored of mario now, talk about someone else PLEASE!
ok, so the old games were good, yay, good games, but there are much better games...
all mario does now is make me lose faith in video games...

Dec 1, 2007
Susan Arendt post=7.74061.820664 said:
It's encouraging to see that someone outside of typical gamer culture understands that changing the way we play - or even just acknowledging the importance that we do - is as significant a human achievement as making a breakthrough in science.
It's less encouraging to be told people inside gamer culture hold such a silly opinion.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
I'm going to wait until the article is online to see their reasoning for it and what the other people on the list did before I give judgement on whether or not he should be on it. One way to look at it is that he was one of the major players in reviving the video games industry, helping it to develop from a few people coding in their bedrooms into an entertainment form (if not art form) to rival cinema. Think, without Shigeru, would Nintendo have succeeded? And without Nintendo, the games industry would have pretty much been confined to PCs in Europe. However, having him on the list for that reason would be undersating the importance of the other people at Nintendo during that time, and it's arguable just how important the games industry really is when you compare it to some of the other things on that list.

Dec 1, 2007
SirCannonFodder post=7.74061.820871 said:
I'm going to wait until the article is online to see their reasoning for it and what the other people on the list did before I give judgement on whether or not he should be on it. One way to look at it is that he was one of the major players in reviving the video games industry, helping it to develop from a few people coding in their bedrooms into an entertainment form (if not art form) to rival cinema. Think, without Shigeru, would Nintendo have succeeded? And without Nintendo, the games industry would have pretty much been confined to PCs in Europe. However, having him on the list for that reason would be undersating the importance of the other people at Nintendo during that time, and it's arguable just how important the games industry really is when you compare it to some of the other things on that list.
So what your saying is Malaria cure = inventing Mario

That's, and I mean no offense, just a horrifically warped worldview.

Unknower

Jun 4, 2008
I guess they chose those "New Einsteins" like "New Einsteins in culture", "New Einsteins in sports", "New Einsteins in economy", "New Einsteins in Einstein family" etc.

Zeushbien

May 23, 2008
I think it's fair to say that he is a genius within his field.. If thats what they mean with the, rather ridiculous, term "new Einstein".

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
Imitation Saccharin post=7.74061.820902 said:
So what your saying is Malaria cure = inventing Mario

That's, and I mean no offense, just a horrifically warped worldview.
Like I said, it's arguable how important the games industry (which, while worth umpteen billions and employing many people, doesn't really compare to something that can save the lives of millions), actually is, especially when you put it next to some of the other things on the list. From what this article shows, I don't think he deserves to be on there, I was just posting what I thought might have been their reasoning.

sheepisitshit

Oct 8, 2008
saying because he made some thing popular he deserve to be compared Einstein is stupid as one of them is the most brilliant minds in history and the other one made Mario and Zelda ffs there not really in the same league and Miyamoto is not even in the same league as the other people on the list and also just because it is popular dose not make it good

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
Frybird post=7.74061.820687 said:
That does not make any sense whatsoever.

I mean...seriously, what the fuck!? They can't be serious!

A guy who made a game about a princess-saving, jumping plumber put on the same position as a guy who can cure malaria and one who works on growing organs?

There is no way this can be serious...

While it's true that a games-developer isn't really on the same level as those guys at all, Mario is one of the best, most replayable and charming games I've ever played.