Obama Ads Appearing In Games

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Obama Ads Appearing In Games

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama [http://www.barackobama.com/] is breaking new ground as the first candidate ever to buy ad space in a videogame.

The Obama campaign has taken out ads in nine EA [http://www.ea.com] games for the Xbox 360 that will feature on virtual billboards and other in-game signage. "It reaches an audience that is typically very hard to reach - young males, roughly 18 to 34," said EA rep Holly Rockwood, who declined to say how much was paid for the advertisements. "That's very appealing to our advertisers."

Representatives for both Obama and Republican candidate Gamespot [http://www.johnmccain.com/] says, voted Republican in 2004.

The Obama ads are appearing in the following games:

Burnout Paradise
Madden 09
Nascar 09
NBA Live 08
Need for Speed Carbon
Need for Speed Prostreet
NFL on Tour
NHL 09
Skate

Naturally, EA's Rockwood said the ads "do not reflect the political policies of EA or the opinions of its development teams," but the truth of the matter is that in many ways they do. A recent look at the poll [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86603] of 100,000 Xbox Live found a similar, although somewhat less skewed, split between respondents, with Obama drawing 43 percent of the vote while McCain earned 31 percent.

It may be news, but it shouldn't be surprising. The videogame demographic is undeniably huge, and will only continue to grow. Neither campaign has gone out of its way to appeal to gamers - Obama claims the last videogame he played was Dungeons & Dragons [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/85518] crowd... [living in] the comfort of mom's basement" - but Obama at least seems to recognize the potential of non-traditional means of advertising. Whether he's come to view gamers as an important and untapped voting block, or it's just a politically expedient way to burn some excess cash, is another question entirely, but you can bet that by the time the next election rolls around, this kind of virtual campaigning will be commonplace.

DiamondJim

Sep 27, 2008
Well, I've never been a big fan of in-game advertisement to begin with, as I see enough of it everywhere else (see Idiocracy). I like the thought of a relatively sterile (game developers aside) game environment.

Now they have to bring politics into it? Geez...

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Wait...so if game developers are getting political, does that mean Spore is going to have a McCain/Palin banner appearing soon?

bluerahjah

Mar 5, 2008
I don't really know what to think about it. Is it an act of desperation? I mean, I could have sworn that Obama was against gaming :

http://gamepolitics.livejournal.com/268653.html [http://gamepolitics.livejournal.com/268653.html]

But, I guess considering that a major portion of the new voters demographic are gamers, he'd have to bite his tongue and try something new instead of the normal smear campaign.

I just hope that one of the in-game ads has nothing to do with McCain, because this mud-slinging B.S. is really starting to irk me.

hayaki

Sep 4, 2008
This is either the single most stupid thing I've ever seen...or the single most genius thing I've ever seen.

I suppose we'll find out in the long run.

(And for the record, I hate ingame ads, but like so many things of late, I think we're not going to get away from them now that they're here.)

Feb 13, 2008
L.B. Jeffries post=9.74065.820766 said:
Wait...so if game developers are getting political, does that mean Spore is going to have a McCain/Palin banner appearing soon?
I think I've seen Palin and Mccain in Spore already...

Dec 1, 2007
I do not support this. On the one side, seeing ads breaks immersion. On the other side, I don't like the idea of intertwining our fantasy escapes with politics.

SecretTacoNinja

Jul 8, 2008
Imitation Saccharin post=7.74065.820793 said:
I do not support this. On the one side, seeing ads breaks immersion. On the other side, I don't like the idea of intertwining our fantasy escapes with politics.
It's only in racing and sports, I doubt anyone will take notice.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Let's not forget it's putting money in the games industry, even if it is EA. I think that alone is enough to put up with the occasional billboard for Obama.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Wait, so if gamers traditionally lean left, isn't this just preaching to the choir? I mean, I know the joking motto for advertising is "Half the advertising budget is wasted, we just don't know which half," but shouldn't he not be wasting money advertising to people who already support him? Or is this to appeal to as a candidate for the younger crowd?

silentsentinel

Mar 16, 2008
I'd like to see a political billboard in a post-apocalyptic video game, half-buried in the sand. Not five or twenty. Just one.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
HobbesMkii post=7.74065.821235 said:
Wait, so if gamers traditionally lean left, isn't this just preaching to the choir? I mean, I know the joking motto for advertising is "Half the advertising budget is wasted, we just don't know which half," but shouldn't he not be wasting money advertising to people who already support him? Or is this to appeal to as a candidate for the younger crowd?
Rule 1 in PR/Marketing: Aim for those who are already supporting you, are almost supporting you, or are completely undecided because it's near impossible to convince someone to drastically change their opinion.

While most gamers do lean left, there are plenty that are simply undecided, and this is the crowd politicians will always target. Not to mention some of the ads may convince the occasional gamer that supports Obama to actually go vote for him.

JaKhajiit

Oct 15, 2008
It's an interesting idea, especially if it's limited to sports, racing, etc. I don't want to be wandering thought The Elder Scrolls 5 and see some random politician grinning at me from their in-game billboard.

BaronAsh

Feb 6, 2008
JaKhajiit post=7.74065.822115 said:
It's an interesting idea, especially if it's limited to sports, racing, etc. I don't want to be wandering thought The Elder Scrolls 5 and see some random politician grinning at me from their in-game billboard.
A.) Fucking awesome avatar

B.) I agree with you

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
Did anyone ***** when there was a voter registration campaign through the Xbox 360? I don't see the problem with the man using the ad space if it's available to him.

Bluerahjah: How is saying kids should watch tv and play videogames less anti-videogame?

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
JaKhajiit post=7.74065.822115 said:
I find Massive to be a generally despicable company and in-game advertising to be a major annoyance. I can live with it in sports and racing because it doesn't break immersion to see ads for real companies where they would appear on a sports or race broadcast on TV. But indeed, if I saw Obama (or McCain, or anyone else from the real world) on a billboard in the Elder Scrolls universe, the first thing I'd think is "I wonder if they programmed fire magic into a destructible-environments model" or "I wonder how far away I can hit that from with my Bosmer archer."

Dyselon

Oct 3, 2007
Certainly what Xbox Live was really missing was encouragement for the rampant racist diatribes and political "debates" we love so much.