Metal Gear Solid 4 Coming To Xbox?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Metal Gear Solid 4 Coming To Xbox?

Another day, another high profile Microsoft [http://www.playstation.com] console after all.

The Xbox 360 has been Tekken 6 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86719] is being developed for the Xbox 360 as well as the PlayStation 3.

Now, via a Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5063447/konami-officially-comments-on-xbox-360-metal-gear-solid-4] report, comes news that one of the biggest PlayStation exclusives of them all may one day turn up on the Microsoft console. Despite having denied the possibility until now, Konami PR rep Yoshitaka Arai told Japanese investor site Morningstar that as a result of the system's growing popularity, the company was considering an Xbox version of Metal Gear Solid 4. "The worldwide demand for an Xbox 360 version (of MGS4) is quite high, and it is something we are currently looking into," he said.

It's a big reversal given that in August, MSG creator Hideo Kojima said that PlayStation 3 optimizations for the game meant that an Xbox 360 version "admitted [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/85903] around the same time that console exclusivity was being increasingly rare, saying, "We have to accept more and more that platform holders themselves cannot have exclusives unless they're given millions and millions of dollars not to develop a particular game for one particular platform."

dracomar

Oct 15, 2008
First post... Yata yata yata yeah I know

Anyways there will be a problem with the Xbox port. Sheer size... MGS4 occupies the space of a full dual layer Blue ray disk (About 50 GB) while and Xbox port would need to run on regular DVDs (8.54 GB whey dual layered)

To me this means the Xbox 360 version would comprise of at least 5 disks... Some thing not unheard of (FFVIIII and Legend of dragoon) but it has not been done in almost a Decade.

Also this game has been built to be played on the PS3, which is known as a more powerful, all be it expensive and harder to develop for, system and would need to be dumbed down for the Xbox....

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
I don't care about MGS4, but I might play it if it came to the 360.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
I'd play it. Probably have to be a multi-disc game though. As long as it lets me run it off the hardrive (without switching discs) I see no problem.

JuniorMartin

Jul 21, 2008
As stated above the question isn't will it be coming to the xbox 360, it is whether or not it will work on the 360. And all signs point to no, let me explain. Not only is the game 50 gb it is also coded differently see the in order to make xbox game you need to program with a language that is c++ related it is also the reason why a lot of the 360 games you see is also on the pc. Mean while the ps3 is lenux base. If it were to be put on the 360 it will need to be rewritten making what would be a 5 disks game in to say 11 disk with the c++ converion now that is unheard of.

However the 360 may see MGS 5. seeing how popular it is then again maybe not seeing how the majority of the fan base is still on the ps3 side of things.

Jak The Great

Jun 24, 2008
dracomar post=7.74075.821229 said:
First post... Yata yata yata yeah I know

Anyways there will be a problem with the Xbox port. Sheer size... MGS4 occupies the space of a full dual layer Blue ray disk (About 50 GB) while and Xbox port would need to run on regular DVDs (8.54 GB whey dual layered)

To me this means the Xbox 360 version would comprise of at least 5 disks... Some thing not unheard of (FFVIIII and Legend of dragoon) but it has not been done in almost a Decade.

Also this game has been built to be played on the PS3, which is known as a more powerful, all be it expensive and harder to develop for, system and would need to be dumbed down for the Xbox....
remember that the size (aka filling up a blu ray) is a result of uncompressed audio, and possibly lower compression video. those 2 uncompressed eat up a LOT of space. If the game were compressed like other games, I could see it fitting on 2 disks if not 1. But I guess it depends on how much quality they're willing to sacrifice.

Rezfon

Feb 25, 2008
tbh quality of graphics still doesn't subtract from the actual gameplay. Graphics are not the sort of thing that can make a completely unplayable game playable to me.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Spread the joy that is MGS4 to the masses! though it won't be as pretty, and they'd best release a subsidsistence version for the ps3.
Since the ps3 has almost caught up in sales I guess microsoft are buying into every franchise they can to sell more units.

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
JuniorMartin post=7.74075.821280 said:
As stated above the question isn't will it be coming to the xbox 360, it is whether or not it will work on the 360. And all signs point to no, let me explain. Not only is the game 50 gb it is also coded differently see the in order to make xbox game you need to program with a language that is c++ related it is also the reason why a lot of the 360 games you see is also on the pc. Mean while the ps3 is lenux base. If it were to be put on the 360 it will need to be rewritten making what would be a 5 disks game in to say 11 disk with the c++ converion now that is unheard of.

However the 360 may see MGS 5. seeing how popular it is then again maybe not seeing how the majority of the fan base is still on the ps3 side of things.
I disagree.

There have been off and on again rumors about a Blu-Ray player for Xbox. Also with the launch of the new dashboard, owners can supposedly rip discs to their HD thus eliminating the need for discs after initial install anyway. Maybe it may be entirely a download in a year from now. By the time this is ready, maybe MS will unveil yet a new high capacity HD which ripping space won't be an issue. They've already announced dropping prices on 20GB drives for Arcade users at $19.99, so why couldn't they have a 100GB drive next year for $50?I can aleady see a new Elite MSG4 bundle like they did with Halo.

And the argument of C++ vs. Linux is moot, as localized teams do this all the time..porting back and forth. Given the $$ at stake, the idea of selling 250K+ copies of MSG4 to players in a year from now is hard to ignore if your the developer holding the rights.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
If they can make it work, fin, why not, expose a wider audience.

But given MGS2's relative dive bomb on the Xbox, I suspect an anticipated release of 4 will stay that way, anticipated.

qbert4ever

Dec 14, 2007
If they can get it on the 360 without making it shitty, then we will cross that bridge when we come to it. Until then, why take random shots in the dark about something that may or may not happen in the next 2-5 years?

DevilSaint44

Aug 16, 2008
If it does come out, I wont play it. Call me an idiot but i dont like to play games with flying ninjas, shitloads of cutscenes and 60 year old men sneaking around