BioShock 2 Trailer Found On PS3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioShock 2 Trailer Found On PS3

There's an unexpected surprise waiting for gamers at the end of the PlayStation 3 version of BioShock [http://www.2kgames.com/bioshock/]: A trailer for BioShock 2.

The trailer for the game, known in full as BioShock 2: Sea of Dreams, shows what's presumably a Little Sister holding a home-made Big Daddy doll as she gazes out over the Atlantic. No in-game action is shown, but the waterlogged BioShock 2 logo at the end of the clip is strong evidence that the sequel will take us back to the cold depths of the ocean. (Yeah, I know, what a shock.)

BioShock 2 was announced back in March 2008, but as far as I know this is the first anyone has seen of the game's actual progress. The game is being developed by the new 2K Australia [http://www.2kmarin.com/], of course), and while Creative Director Ken Levine will apparently be involved with the project, at last check it was unclear exactly what form that involvement would take. The game is targeted for release in fall 2009.

The BioShock 2 promo trailer is available on YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzf18bZCPCI].

via: videogaming247 [http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/10/16/bioshock-2-sea-of-dreams-trailered-at-end-of-bioshock-ps3/]

Novajam

Apr 26, 2008
Interesting. Does the Little Sister in that trailer seem just a bit tall to anyone else? More teenager sized than creepy five year old sized.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Good ending is probably canon. I would assume the plot goes something like everything's good and then all of a sudden Rapture becomes a problem so Jack has to deal with it. Another theory is that the assumed little sister is the protagonist. Her unique properties enable her to jack up on plasmids to the extreme and so the game goes on...

huntedannoyed

Apr 23, 2008
I was about 99% sure that this was going to be a Rick Roll, but when I saw that Malygris authored it...
That is cool. Thanks for the heads up. I can't wait.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Novajam post=7.74185.826237 said:
Interesting. Does the Little Sister in that trailer seem just a bit tall to anyone else? More teenager sized than creepy five year old sized.
Who's to say she's not a teenager? Although to me she looks more like, say, 10-12 years old.

On the other hand, we don't have the slightest clue what the game will even be about, so it's difficult to speculate. Which doesn't mean we're not going to!

So here's mine: The player will take the role of the child of a Little Sister - a daughter, say - compelled to return to the crumbling remains of Rapture through a unique genetic trait inherited from her mother and activated from afar by Dr. Tennenbaum. Upon her arrival, she will make her way through what little remains of the city, devastated by time and the sea, battling ever-more-horrific Splicers until she finds the dying Tennenbaum, who's final wish is to pass on her darkest secrets about the creation of Rapture and her role in it. The doctor was able to hold the Splicers at bay by discovering a new means of manufacturing ADAM and ensuring that control of the supply rested with her alone, but with her death all boundaries are erased, and the Splicers erupt in a suicidal orgy of destruction, raging against their fate, as the player frantically struggles to escape the final death throes of Rapture, burdened with terrible secrets and the knowledge of what was lost.

Eh? Well?

Mar 26, 2008
Malygris post=7.74185.826310 said:
Novajam post=7.74185.826237 said:
Who's to say she's not a teenager? Although to me she looks more like, say, 10-12 years old.

On the other hand, we don't have the slightest clue what the game will even be about, so it's difficult to speculate. Which doesn't mean we're not going to!

So here's mine: The player will take the role of the child of a Little Sister - a daughter, say - compelled to return to the crumbling remains of Rapture through a unique genetic trait inherited from her mother and activated from afar by Dr. Tennenbaum. Upon her arrival, she will make her way through what little remains of the city, devastated by time and the sea, battling ever-more-horrific Splicers until she finds the dying Tennenbaum, who's final wish is to pass on her darkest secrets about the creation of Rapture and her role in it. The doctor was able to hold the Splicers at bay by discovering a new means of manufacturing ADAM and ensuring that control of the supply rested with her alone, but with her death all boundaries are erased, and the Splicers erupt in a suicidal orgy of destruction, raging against their fate, as the player frantically struggles to escape the final death throes of Rapture, burdened with terrible secrets and the knowledge of what was lost.

Eh? Well?
My thoughts are in line with the first part of your idea; the protagonist is probably Little Sister who still feels a bond with Rapture and is compelled to return to find the place in utter disarray.

I believe the good ending is canon as the Little Sister appears to be living on the surface.

tino1498

Apr 11, 2008
i think bioshock 2 is worthless. i was exitted that the original biosock was its own game, not a sequel, but not anymore. they might ruin it

Hey Joe

Dec 23, 2007
If I may extrapolate upon your speculation Mal:

My theory is that the little sister is a little older and has found her way to the surface somehow. She is found and adopted by loving parents, but as she grows older she starts to have odd dreams that she can not explain. She starts to have visions, starts making homemade dolls of Big Daddies, and her parents find out.

Slowly, the visions drive her insane and one of her parents decides that something must be done to find this city and extend some measure of peace toward their daughter. So they investigate and find the city of Rapture.

It is even more anarchic now as Tenunbaum slowly dies from a mysterious disease. The player must find her, as Tenenbaum communicates with you on a one-way frequency. She assumes that you have the little sister with you, you do not.

She says that the little sister is the key to her salvation, the key to her cure but really she's just lonely. She manipulated the DNA sequences of the little sisters to yearn for their mother, for Tenenbaum. She wants to see them one last time.

Apart from that, I can't offer too much more insight, but it may explain the whole 'city of dreams' bit.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
While I'm not liable to complain about more BioShock, I think it's a great illustration of one of the biggest problems with the industry today: The drive to SEQUELIZE! BioShock doesn't need a sequel. Its story was told, its setting was explored. How can you possibly hope to get more out of it, while maintaining the same level of quality and immersion? It was a fantastic story, albeit a shitty ending, in an absolutely amazing setting, but it's the sort of thing that can never be improved by being revisited.

Homeworld is another great example. An epic tale of survival and revenge played out across the stars, slowly revealing the tragedy of a great empire brought low, the massacre of its people and the fury of those left. Survival and rebirth of a galactic civilization, against all odds! It was brilliant, and brilliantly done. How do you top something on that scale? You don't, but that didn't stop people from trying, and neither of the two follow-ups could approach the power of the original, and neither sold worth a damn.

So why is this being done? What could a BioShock sequel possibly offer as an "improvement" over the original?

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
Spartan Bannana post=7.74185.826281 said:
The subtitle of the game just ruins it
Ah, but it may have the name as a horribly ironic side bit. "Sea Of Dreams" offers hope, and light. I'm guessing the game will be about broken dreams and the darkness of truth.

Wow, typing that cheered me up a bit.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Going to be interesting to see how they make a game without having System Shock 2 to lean on for story ideas.

However maybe that'll make it more memorable.

Mar 26, 2008
genauguy post=7.74185.826643 said:
i think bioshock 2 is worthless. i was exitted that the original biosock was its own game, not a sequel, but not anymore. they might ruin it
I'm inclined to agree. Bioshock should really stay a standalone story. But, that ain't going to happen as the cash cow is still bursting at the udders. Now I could suffer a single sequel, however it is the talk of a third, movie related game that scares the crap out of me. I think it could irreparably damage the Bioshock name.

Plus, one of the big things about Bioshock is the killer twist/revelation, much like in KotOR. When it's sequel, KotOR II, came along you have the situation where people are expecting a similar KotOR twist somewhere in it and because you are expecting it when it happens you are like "eh". I'm worried this might happen with Bioshock II.

Oh well, only time will tell.