The Escapist Needs News Reporters!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
The Escapist Needs News Reporters!

The Escapist is vastly expanding its news team to include reporters both on the West coast and in Japan. Specifically, here's what we're looking for:

West coast correspondent: responsibilities include attending press events, editing and approving reporters' posts, and writing news posts on a daily basis. Location in or around San Francisco is ideal.

West coast reporters: Write news posts on a daily basis, weekend positions also available.

Japan reporter: Write news posts on a daily basis, attend industry events as needed. Location in Tokyo ideal, fluency in Japanese a requirement.

Experience is preferred, of course, but not necessarily a requirement. If you're interested, please send a resume (as a Word doc, please) and three news writing samples to sarendt[at]themis-group[dot]com.

Thanks, and good luck!

Etelmik

Oct 18, 2008
Hmmm. Tempting, but I'm in Utah, which isn't close enough to San Francisco. Someone from SF is almost sure to apply.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Interesting, though I doubt I'd apply or be accepted, would news reports be soley up to you or could users here at the Escapist help you out by sending you messages of news updates? This is mainly in reference to weekends since sometimes the members get the news first before you could post them on the weekdays.

But either way, good luck to everyone!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Jumplion post=6.74295.831305 said:
Interesting, though I doubt I'd apply or be accepted, would news reports be soley up to you or could users here at the Escapist help you out by sending you messages of news updates? This is mainly in reference to weekends since sometimes the members get the news first before you could post them on the weekdays.

We'd love to have a team of tipsters helping us out!

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Susan Arendt post=6.74295.831480 said:
Jumplion post=6.74295.831305 said:

We'd love to have a team of tipsters helping us out!
I'll get my jester's hat! (trickery!)

But how do news reporters recive news? Through a higher up? Do they make it themselves? Do they gain help with the members here? Or do they just call them like they see them?

And are there any specific precausions into making a news article? Like, finding the best source of the news or just typing up the article the way they do?

I'd love to be a "News Room Tipster" (plus it would look cool under my username :D), giving off rumours and sources of the rumours, giving away info about newly unvieled games and peoples opinions on them. I'd be like a spy, only without the cool latext suit!

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Aww, no Australia? Even then... damn labour laws... Though, great news you guys are expanding. Level up!

BrettRegister

Oct 13, 2008
When you say "Weekend Reporters" what exactly does that mean? I work five days a week in Los Angeles, but would still love to be involved. I have a background in writing weekly content for press, let me know what you're looking for specifically. Thanks!

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
I think what you guys really need is a few more European reporters, especially around the London area. ;-)

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
BrettRegister post=6.74295.832886 said:
When you say "Weekend Reporters" what exactly does that mean? I work five days a week in Los Angeles, but would still love to be involved. I have a background in writing weekly content for press, let me know what you're looking for specifically. Thanks!
Pretty much just what it sounds like -- folks who want to write up gaming news on the weekend. We hadn't specifically planned for someone to only work weekends, but it's certainly a possibility we'd be willing to consider. If you're interested, send along your resume and some news writing samples.

As for tipsters, a tipster would email leads to our news bureau, where one of our newshounds could pick it up. Not all tips would be used, necessarily, but you guys have your ears well to the ground could definitely be very helpful. And there might even be a badge in it for you. ;)

dukethepcdr

May 9, 2008
If the Escapist would consider hiring free-lance reporters who live in other parts of the country (or world for that matter), they wouldn't be so short on reporters. I will never live in San Francisco (too pricey and liberal for my taste) and will probably never move to Japan (as cool to visit as that would be), so I guess I'm out of the running.

Have you guys ever heard of an amazing invention called Email? With this nifty service, you can actually type up articles and send them anywhere in the world in a matter of seconds. You can even include pictures and short video clips. There are even ways to set up video conferencing calls using webcams and programs like Skype if you want to communicate in real time.

As much fun as it is to do amateur reviews and articles on sites like The Escapist, it would be even better to actually get paid for some of them.

Just a suggestion,

John

Murmur95

Sep 18, 2008
my rss is filled more than i can read from the stuff you guys are giving me...maybe you should just sick with actual news instead of random posts?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
dukethepcdr post=6.74295.835934 said:
If the Escapist would consider hiring free-lance reporters who live in other parts of the country (or world for that matter), they wouldn't be so short on reporters. I will never live in San Francisco (too pricey and liberal for my taste) and will probably never move to Japan (as cool to visit as that would be), so I guess I'm out of the running.

Have you guys ever heard of an amazing invention called Email? With this nifty service, you can actually type up articles and send them anywhere in the world in a matter of seconds. You can even include pictures and short video clips. There are even ways to set up video conferencing calls using webcams and programs like Skype if you want to communicate in real time.

As much fun as it is to do amateur reviews and articles on sites like The Escapist, it would be even better to actually get paid for some of them.

Just a suggestion,

John
First up, sarcasm is not a great way to endear yourself to the staff. Secondly, the position has little to do with actual geography and everything to do with time zones. Technically, someone on the East Coast could have the job, if they wanted to shift their schedule accordingly, but not many folks do.

Etelmik

Oct 18, 2008
I thought it did have to do a bit with geography, though, because of industry events in the bay area.

Are you still taking applications?