Iran's First National Computer Game

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Iran's First National Computer Game

The Age of Heroes, touted as Iran's first national game, is a 3D action title based on central themes of classic Iranian literature and features mythical and historical characters from Iran's past.

The purpose of the game, which was pitched by The Ferdowsi Foundation and developed by Iran's Modern Industry Center, seems to be to serve as edutainment for a Persian-speaking audience. It's based on the characters and themes of Ferdowsi [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shahnameh] that serves as the national epic of the Iran.

"The locations and the environment of the game are based on Iran's culture, geography and climate, featuring its epic music and Persian characters in traditional costumes situated in Persian historical monuments," the Tehran Times [http://www.tehrantimes.com/index_View.asp?code=190805] reported. Over 90 characters from the Shahnameh appear in the game.

Educational value aside, The Age of Heroes basically sounds like a regular ol' 3D action game that doesn't look completely horrible and kind of recalls World of Warcraft, if WoW were set in mythical Iran. "The user must make use of various kinds of weaponry to fight against the evil characters of the story in order to learn the secret of invulnerability," says the Tehran Times.

Billed as an "Iranian cultural production," the game is available throughout the country and is planned to hit other Persian-speaking locales as well.

You know, why can't Americans have something like this? The only game our government will fund and promote is America's Army, which, Guinness records [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89185-Americas-Army-Nabs-Five-Guinness-Records] aside, is not exactly as cool as a game based on an epic poem. Then again, what's the U.S.'s "national epic?" The Great Gatsby? Moby-Dick? Star Wars? Scratch that - we already have too many of those.

[Via GameCulture [http://www.gameculture.com/node/1162]]

(Image [http://www.tehrantimes.com/index_View.asp?code=181756])

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
Now I want an Aussie game based on any of Matthew Reilly's books!

Wouldukindly said:
As long as the Canadian national game is not based on any of Margaret Atwood's books, I shiver at the thought of a game that would portray men worse then women in regular games :p
The sheer horror! *shudders* She is like our literary version of Celine Dion, the poor bastards.

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
God, I'm just waiting for the Persian Empire expansion. I heard that one level with the Spartans was preeetty hard.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Hm, I don't see too many epic stuff from America. But maybe something from Britain? A McBeth adventure game? Follow the clues! Find the murderer! :-D

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
We could just call the Pern novels our national epic. then we could have bad-ass games with time traveling dragon riders fighting giant worms. The pern novels were a little weird.

Feb 13, 2008
"The War of The Worlds" was an epic British game. I can live with that.

Must see if I can get some feedback from Iran though.

Steelfists

Aug 6, 2008
Hunde Des Krieg said:
What really epic stories does America have? Which one would we use?
Only thing that is really conclusive is the Alamo.

Also: Do you think the final boss in that Iranian game will be the BBC World Service?

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
The awesome American myth-game would be called The Founding Fathers: Days of Reckoning and would feature all the major figures using special abilities to defeat Cornwallis and Howe and Benedict Arnold (Benny Arnold would be like Arthas in WCIII). Ben Franklin would have lightning attacks shooting out from his fingers like Emperor Palpatine and George Washington would be able to throw anything over the Potomac. And he would carry a hatchet, and have a special ability called "Pain of Truth" where he would force bad characters to tell the truth while slowly draining their hitpoints.

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
Steelfists said:
Hunde Des Krieg said:

Also: Do you think the final boss in that Iranian game will be the BBC World Service?
Yes, and you have to suicide bomb it...

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Steelfists said:
See, I knew I'd be all set just letting you guys come up with these on your own...

9of9

Feb 14, 2008
Awesome. Let's hope someone makes a localisation. I for one, would love to see this game in english. Oddly enough, I don't think this is the first government-sponsored game to come out of that region, a while-back there was a First-Person Shooter courtesy of Hezbollah (Special Force, I believe it was called).

Say what you will about Islamic government, but they certainly do appreciate the power of games.

Edit: Another thought - why on earth doesn't Iran sponsor Ubisoft to make more historically accurate Prince of Persia games?

Steelfists

Aug 6, 2008
Hunde Des Krieg said:
Steelfists said:
Hunde Des Krieg said:

AND THE GLOVES ARE OFF!

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
9of9 said:
Awesome. Let's hope someone makes a localisation. I for one, would love to see this game in english. Oddly enough, I don't think this is the first government-sponsored game to come out of that region, a while-back there was a First-Person Shooter courtesy of Hezbollah (Special Force, I believe it was called).

Say what you will about Islamic government, but they certainly do appreciate the power of games.
As if there was anything wrong with an 'Islamic Government', at this it's a government the people decided to put in place, not a puppet government that was deem useful for a country in west.

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
Steelfists said:
Hunde Des Krieg said:
Steelfists said:
Hunde Des Krieg said:

AND THE GLOVES ARE OFF!
I just couldn't resist.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Welcome to the club Iran, pull up a chair and help your self to some cookies and beer.