World Of PeaceCraft Coming In December? - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
World Of PeaceCraft Coming In December? - UPDATED

The Religious Society of Friends, better known as the Quakers [http://quaker.org/], are apparently getting ready to launch a new online RPG called The World of Peacecraft.

The Click Heard Round the World [http://www.rikomatic.com/blog/2008/10/quakers-launch.html] blog, which claims to have contacts with "a number of Quaker institutions," is reporting that the new game based on the Quaker faith will be launched in December. But the game will also offer something for people of other faiths, according to CEO Thad Thomas, who said, "Whether you are a Buddhist, Muslim, Jew or just a curious agnostic, you will find much to do and enjoy in World of PeaceCraft."

"The Quaker United Service is pleased to announce the beta-release of the new MMORPG World of PeaceCraft, the first massive online game for a Christian religious denomination," a draft press release for the game says. "Full of fun quests and adventures, the WoP will extend traditional Quaker values and historic testimonies -- such as their work to end the slave trade, protesting against war, and worshiping in silence -- into an immersive, 3D environment."

The game will apparently begin in 17th century England during the time of Quaker founder George Fox, and from there move to the early 1800s and beyond, with quests involving women's suffrage, the civil rights movement and even current Quaker protests against war and the death penalty. Game characters will also need to come together with other players to worship in one of 25 historically accurate Quaker meeting houses to replenish their "Inner Light" to help them stand up for the causes of justice, peace and equality.

Is this real? Is it a hoax, or a weak and tired joke? I have no idea, so I asked the Quakers. In the meantime, while we wait for them to respond, is this something you'd play?

UPDATE - Rik Riel, the author behind the Click Heard Round the World blog and a producer for Linden Lab's Second Life confirmed to The Escapist that the blog entry and quoted press release were fabrications written to test how people would react to the news.

Riel has a history of these hoaxes usually based around virtual worlds, having admitted [http://www.secondlifeherald.com/slh/2006/12/rik_riel_trolls.html] that posts about 3-D Shakespearean MMOs and ICANN (the internet organization in charge of maintaining website domain names) would be moving its resources into a virtual world were faked.

via: GamePolitics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/10/24/quakers-set-launch-world-peacecraft]

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Actually, Quaker services are really cool. Sometimes you just go and sit for thirty minutes with a bunch of other people, no talking, nothing. You just sit and think about your life and what you're doing. Not one myself though.

As for the game...it could end up like that Shakespeare MMORPG if they don't remember to keep the fun involved. You have to sneak the history and culture in, not tack it onto a pre-existing game mold.

RetiarySword

Apr 27, 2008
ACTION PACKED! WORSHIP IN SILENCE! I can imagine the vent servers! 'Quickly I need a buff to continue protesting!' 'One sec! I need to pray, back in 60 mins!'. This is just going to be a masiive phedofile playground.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Quakers have such a "cooperative" and "inclusive" religious message that I really can't decry them their desire for pacifism and cooperation in the face of all this violence in gaming.

It'll probably suck though, just saying.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
I love Quakers. They're brilliant. I dunno if PeaceCraft is real, but it's totally something I could see them doing. If it's free, I'll play it (as a joke, though).

Of course, the griefer-to-player ratio might be a little skewed.

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
I wonder if it uses the Quake(r) III Engine.

(Yes, I signed up to make this joke.)

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
Well, it would make a nice pair with the Muslim version of Second Life.
CUnk post=7.74935.851148 said:

Your first post was a terrible pun? A poster after my own heart...

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Buddhist?

They are marketing to Buddhists and Agnostics?

Sounds like a big plan to convert people.

That is, if it's real.

ianuam

Aug 28, 2008
You ever met a Quaker? They don't go around trying to convert you, which is a nice relief.
This game will most likely never be heard from again, after being sued back into the dark ages by Blizzard for the very close similarity name-wise to WoW. Shame really.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
CUnk post=7.74935.851148 said:

Awesome, signed up just to make a bad pun, definately adding you as a friend! that made my day.
I honestly thought this was a giant joke when I saw the thread title. Thanks for the laughs!

SecretTacoNinja

Jul 8, 2008
Great :D
You can teach yourself and your kids to be virtuous flower-childs...
Whilst having NO FUN! :D

That's the impression I got, I wonder how long it'll be before everyone starts converting each other and getting into religious wars...

*HEY DANNY! CAN I BORROW YOUR COUCH?*

*If no-one knows what I'm talking about; Danny Damage has a couch we can use to watch e-wars,
and there's popcorn!

Ronwue

Oct 22, 2008
It is interesting to see if people will actually play this...
On another note

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

axia777

Oct 10, 2008
I would laugh if this were not so retarded. World of PeaceCraft? I mean, peace in real life is great and all, but in a video game? What is the goal, to have a raid centered around a candle vigil against war? The players get to make signs, convert violent people to peace, and hug and love everyone? BOOOOOOORRRRRRRIIIIIIINNNNNGGGGG!!!!