Missing Teenager's Parents Blame "Online Tournaments"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Missing Teenager's Parents Blame "Online Tournaments"

The parents of a missing teenager are convinced that someone he met while playing [http://www.callofduty.com/] is responsible for his disappearance, and are calling for a more intensive "online search" for their son.

Brandon Crisp of Barrie, Ontario Xbox 360 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86942] following an argument over what his parents called his "addiction" to Call of Duty 4. "He's out there now with someone he met online. They're harboring him or he's being held against his will," Steve Crisp, the boy's father, said, adding that it was more likely the latter.

Local police have conducted an extensive search for the youth, but his father called for a greater focus on the online community Brandon had connected with since he began playing the game. "I really need the help of the police now in really delving in and getting right to this Xbox hard drive," he said. While he didn't find fault with the physical search conducted by Barrie police, he said the Royal Canadian Mounted Police [http://www.opp.ca/] had the resources needed to carry out a full online investigation.

The O.P.P.'s cyber-crimes unit is attempting to "crack" Brandon's computer and Xbox Live account to identify members of his gaming clan, and Microsoft [http://www.microsoft.com] has said it will suspend its privacy protocol to assist with the investigation, according to Barrie Police Sergeant Dave Goodbrand. ""Brandon's dad made a plea to Microsoft," Goodbrand said. "This is an exigent circumstance, where it's a kid you're searching for. This isn't the same as other criminal investigations, where you're looking for evidence." As well as cooperating with police, Microsoft has also increased a reward for information leading to the boy's return to $50,000.

"He [Brandon] was getting good enough that there's a possibility he was expanding into other clans," Goodbrand added.

Crisp claimed he didn't blame Xbox 360 manufacturer Microsoft for his son's disappearance, saying instead that "online tournaments" were the real problem. His parents were aware that the game was "taking over his life," Crisp admitted, but it wasn't until after the boy ran away that they learned about teams of gamers who play in online tournaments for money. "I wish I'd known before," his father said, because the strict rules of the team environment "gave him a whole new identity." When he took the Xbox away, he said, "Basically, I took away his identity."

Barrie police and hundreds of volunteers have been searching for the boy, focusing on an area in which he had been spotted the day he left home, the last confirmed sighting of the youth. Anyone with knowledge of Brandon Crisp's whereabouts are asked to call the Barrie Police Department [http://www.police.barrie.on.ca/] at (705) 725-7025.

Source: Toronto Star [http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/10/26/xbox-police.html]

Zrahni

Oct 24, 2008
God why can't those parents grow a pair and accept that they didn't spend enough attention and time with there child, instead of trying to blame "online tournaments".

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
*ugh..* this again? Can we just shut up about this now? Parent's fault, not gaming's fault, and not the kids. end of story.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Zrahni post=7.75163.858969 said:
God why can't those parents grow a pair and accept that they didn't spend enough attention and time with there child, instead of trying to blame "online tournaments".
Zrahni, you don't know what you're talking about and you'd be better off not demonstrating that ignorance. There's more to this case than is posted here on the Escapist; I don't think the parents are correct in blaming "tournaments", as I think they have their terminology mixed up, but they *have* been working with their child.

-- Steve

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
It's the blame culture today. I am surprised however that they admitted to not blaming Microsoft.

neoman10

Big Brother
Sep 23, 2008
buy teh haloz post=7.75163.858979 said:
*ugh..* this again? Can we just shut up about this now? Parent's fault, not gaming's fault, and not the kids. end of story.
I don't support your stance on halo, but i agree

Zrahni

Oct 24, 2008
Anton P. Nym post=7.75163.858980 said:
Zrahni, you don't know what you're talking about and you'd be better off not demonstrating that ignorance. There's more to this case than is posted here on the Escapist; I don't think the parents are correct in blaming "tournaments", as I think they have their terminology mixed up, but they *have* been working with their child.

-- Steve
Pretty much always children problems come from parents mistakes even from most minor mistake.
And thats a fact.

Nov 28, 2007
I am going on record as saying that the parents, as far as I can tell, are lashing out at the wrong thing, but were still trying to be responsible parents. I swear...parents use videogames as babysitters, get freaked out by violent content, gamers blame the parents. Parents see their kids start taking videogames a little too seriously, tries to cut him back (you know, like responsible parents would), kid runs away, gamers blame the parents. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, I suppose.

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
While my heart goes out to these people, I'm inclined to agree with the sentiment that they are very wrong in blaming anything involving gaming for their child running off. Fact is, it could have been anything. If he didn't have Xbox, something else would have addicted him, if that's what the problem was. I sincerely do hope they find the boy alive and well, no parents should lose a child like that.

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
Well, I'm glad that Brandon's dad has been man enough to admit that what he did was an extreme thing, and that he handled it the wrong way. I can see he was trying to protect his son, I guess, but really, his parents went the wrong way about it. Personally, at that age, I was pretty obsessed with games myself. When my parents took all my games away, I made them up! I still had the console, so I put action figures down and moved them and pushed buttons on the controller! I was about as far gone as this kid, if not more. Cold turkey is not the answer, especially if you offer nothing else in its place.

Damn, I never thought I'd admit that to anybody ever.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
neoman10 post=7.75163.858985 said:
hahahaha i can't tell you how many times I got that remark for my user name xD My username is based off a penny arcade joke.

klakkat

May 24, 2008
People are pathologically afraid of blame. It doesn't justify their actions, in fact, it makes them scumbags, but it explains their motives.

The 'online tournaments' may have been a trigger, but the parents handled the situation very poorly. You force reduced time per day if you feel they're addicted, or you require certain grades and attentiveness at school; if they can accomplish everything else they have to, then the addiction isn't hurting them. Anyone should know you don't just force an addict to go cold-turkey, it's the worst possible method eliciting the most potent response.

ffxfriek

Apr 3, 2008
sometimes it is the kid its both their fault but not the games...and some culture is bad for you but in this case no....

Rolling Thunder

Dec 23, 2007
One of my friends died a few days ago coming back from the Sharks-Bulls rugby final. The bakkie he was in got hit, and he died. Life goes on, and nobody is cowardly enough to blame the rugby tournament for his death.

neoman10

Big Brother
Sep 23, 2008
buy teh haloz post=7.75163.859038 said:
neoman10 post=7.75163.858985 said:
hahahaha i can't tell you how many times I got that remark for my user name xD My username is based off a penny arcade joke.
ok good

xMacx

Nov 24, 2007
Does anyone else see the irony of most of the responses here?

Parent only interested in justifying their child-raising techniques: "It's not my fault, it's the games!"

Posters only interested in justifying their gaming habits: "It's not the games fault, it's the parents!"

Let's get kind of crazy and suggest it might just be a little bit of both...

Zrahni

Oct 24, 2008
xMacx post=7.75163.859764 said:
Does anyone else see the irony of most of the responses here?

Parent only interested in justifying their child-raising techniques: "It's not my fault, it's the games!"

Posters only interested in justifying their gaming habits: "It's not the games fault, it's the parents!"

Let's get kind of crazy and suggest it might just be a little bit of both...
Parents bought xbox 360 so the kid doesn't annoy them, and they didn't set gaming time from start, so if you sum it up you get parenting flaws.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
I'm sorry. This is sad, but honestly.

"Yeah, I been sawin' that kid. He and sum' tall bloke wit' glasses like tha' there 'arry Potter. They be runnin' cross my street, carryin' them playboxes and backpackies. I ask' em bout it, they be tellin' me some trash bout runnin' way to a tourny a sum sort. I gave em' a loaf a' bread and sent em on their way"

I find it really hard to believe they believe he ran away with another gamer to online tournaments. I can see it plausible he was abducted, but I really doubt the 360 had much more to do with it than causing him to run away in angst.