Army Of Two Getting The Movie Treatment

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Army Of Two Getting The Movie Treatment

Universal Studios [http://www.ea.com].

The Kingdom [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0440963/], and who had previously been set to produce the Halo movie.

"Because people experience the game in pairs, playing two guys who go against the world, Scott and I agreed this format presented an opportunity to make a great buddy film," Burns said. "The ambiguity of these private military corporations lends weight to an intelligent thriller with relevance to what's going on in the world right now. You have contractors with their own agendas, and two guys whose friendship supersedes all the politics."

In a bit of an odd twist, Burns claimed the fact that he's not a videogame fan was actually a positive point in EA's eyes. "I told EA right off the bat I wasn't a gamer, and that appealed to them because they didn't want to simply replicate the game," he said.

Army of Two has earned average reviews [http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/armyoftwo?q=army%20of%20two] since its release in early 2008, but has nonetheless managed to sell over two million copies, and EA Games President Frank Gibeau has said a sequel to the game is in the works. Production on the Army of Two movie is set to begin sometime in 2009.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Man, why does this game get such a mixed reaction from people? It was a really good co-op game with some interesting mechanics that forced you to work together. It's great for a rainy afternoon.

I didn't even think the plot was nearly as atrocious as some claimed, it's about Blackwater mercs and bluntly explains why privatized military is such a mixed deal for a nation. No, they weren't exactly debating Machiavelli's 'The Prince', but I don't really imagine a merc is going to be debating Italian political theory anyways.

Besides, when Rios starts arguing with Salem about which member of the Wu-Tang is superior he makes an excellent argument for Ghostface Killah. His superb solo career and strong contributions to both 36 Chambers and 'Return of the Wu' combine with this to put him clearly in the lead.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Great. Another game based movie that'll suck.
Add that to the 'every other game based movie ever made' pile.

Pebsy

Jun 12, 2008
its a good idea, but its going to a tough ride to sell. They gotta make both a movie and a game sort of. By this I mean that movie watchers who have never seen the game will wanta good movie, and people who have played the game expect a similiar storyline, so this will be interesting to see what happens.

qbert4ever

Dec 14, 2007
It was an alright game. Tech problems and a rushed feel were all that was really wrong with it. Well, there was also the fact that when they showed it off for the first time a bunch of idiots started whining about it having too much "college" humor, leading the creators to roll over and try to turn it from a fun co-op game that was meant to be played by people with frat humor into a deep look at privatized military, taking time away from working on the actual gameplay as much as they should have, and ending up with a game that was too little of either to appeal to anyone.

Yeah, I'm a little bitter that a game that looked kick-ass was ruined by pansies on all sides, but maybe the movie will make up for it. Or maybe it?ll turn out to be a big pile of suck. We?ll see.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
I don't really know this game (played it once with a friend... it was OK but nothing great) but, if other game-based movies are anything to by - mainly Resident Evil - this is going to be bad...