Activision Blocking Brütal Legend Deal?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Activision Blocking Brütal Legend Deal?

It looks like Brütal Legend [http://www.activision.com].

Brütal Legend was one of many games slated to be published by Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust [http://www.sierra.com/] without a home. Most of those games have since found new publishers, but Brütal Legend is still without a deal.

According to Variety's Activision Blizzard [http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/2008/10/brutal-legend-s.html] itself. Sources at Double Fine say other publishers are interested in the game, but that Activision has been "blocking the process" and is "an impediment" to potential new deals. Naturally, Activision declined to comment on the matter, but even though details are scant it's an accusation not made lightly: Activision is a big player, and even though it may not be interested in Brütal Legend, poisoning the well without a pretty good reason isn't a smart way to go about building future relationships.

The obvious question is why Activision would do something like this in the first place. It's not difficult to understand why it'd pass on Brütal Legend; while Schafer has received widespread critical acclaim for his work, with games like Psychonauts [http://www.grim-fandango.com/] to his credit, he has yet to come up with a major commercial hit. On the other hand, grass-roots interest in Schafer's games has been simmering, driven by the growing recognition of his creative talents, and perhaps Activision hasn't completely given up on the idea that the game could be a sleeper hit. Whatever the case, we'll no doubt be hearing more in the future.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Brutal Legend is a guitar game? Bleh. Why were so many people excited about it...

Behold the Blizzard Failboys shall come in droves now. Ah well, maybe Activision is trying to protect one of it's own future projects. Does Activision have anything to do with Guitar Hero/Rock Star?

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Brütal Legend is a guitar game? Like Guitar Hero etc.? I don't think so...have to check on that, from last I read thought it was to be an action/adventure game. It's not impossible to envision some kind of music based QTEs at certain points, but, I don't think it's intended to be like those other guitar miming games.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
TsunamiWombat said:
Brutal Legend is a guitar game? Bleh. Why were so many people excited about it...

Behold the Blizzard Failboys shall come in droves now. Ah well, maybe Activision is trying to protect one of it's own future projects. Does Activision have anything to do with Guitar Hero/Rock Star?
It's not a guitar game. http://www.brutallegendgame.com/us/images/screenshots/full/p3.jpg 3rd person action.

Scypemonk

Proud TBB Warrior
Sep 26, 2007
Brutal Legend isn't going to be a guitar game. Its going to be a game based in a Heavy Metal inspired world, you have to hack'n slash your way through badies invading the world of metal, trying to kil the metal. The pure definition of videogame concept awsomeness.

You are far from the first that have misunderstood it for a music game though.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Ooh I see, the Screenshot confused me. So it's like Kiss Pyscho Circus and Revolution X, except it doesn't suck. We hope.

Can't figure out why Acti would block it then...

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Attention EA, you're "evil jackass of the game industry" title has been revoked due to your excellent behavior with the Bioware/Pandemic deal, Dead Space and the upcoming release of Mirrors Edge.

Activision will now be taking over your position through their extreme fuckwittery that transcends logic.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
PedroSteckecilo said:
Attention EA, you're "evil jackass of the game industry" title has been revoked due to your excellent behavior with the Bioware/Pandemic deal, Dead Space and the upcoming release of Mirrors Edge.

Activision will now be taking over your position through their extreme fuckwittery that transcends logic.
They prolly want to publish the game, but want to renegotiate the original contract so that Double Fine gets less cash. Given the grassroots heart throb for Tim Shaefer games it figures someone would guess this could be a blockbuster. I almost wish he'd tell everyone to rot in hell and just distribute it online.

But yeah, that sucks. Gads...I wonder what they're going to do to Blizzard before this is all over with.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
Ooh I see, the Screenshot confused me. So it's like Kiss Pyscho Circus and Revolution X, except it doesn't suck. We hope.

Can't figure out why Acti would block it then...
It won't "suck" nothing Tim Shafer has made "sucks" some of it is just very flawed, yet still infinately playable, fun and charming. Brutal Legend will be no different.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
I can't believe this. Why'd they want to block the Brutal Legend? if anything, that game is getting high amounts of anticipation from so many people, I don't understand why Activision can't just unblock it. It could be that the company has titles planned for 08 and the first 3 quarters of 09 so if anything, this could be coming out in Q4, im predicting. I'm upset at the merge though. Why Activision and Blizzard would merge is unthinkable. Blizzard was one of my favorite game dev studios and now they just threw their reputation in the crapper.

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
We've seen great games in the past and for Activision/Blizzard to be doing what the article says it is...is just stupid.

We all want to play Brutal Legend and as mentioned it's not very smart to go about poisoning potential game industry relationships.

Nevertheless...I am still a small fish dreaming of Scahfer's creativity and Activision's profit. Until we reach the "big fish pond" there's not much I can say. :)

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
As demonstrated months ago in that whole 'developer war contest' thing we had on The Escapist, I am no fine fan of Double Fine. I find them to be exceedingly over-rated and Schaffer is only one man, after all. I cannot blame A-B for not being willing to publish a product that will only appeal to ~30% of all gamers. It is hard to market, after all and there's a real why Double Fine have this 'under-rated' quality about them; because they've limited spending with publicity enormously. This allows the funds to go into producing a better game, but also raises the question of 'who will buy it?'.

Who indeed.

heliosa

Jul 24, 2008
Melaisis said:
As demonstrated months ago in that whole 'developer war contest' thing we had on The Escapist, I am no fine fan of Double Fine. I find them to be exceedingly over-rated and Schaffer is only one man, after all. I cannot blame A-B for not being willing to publish a product that will only appeal to ~30% of all gamers. It is hard to market, after all and there's a real why Double Fine have this 'under-rated' quality about them; because they've limited spending with publicity enormously. This allows the funds to go into producing a better game, but also raises the question of 'who will buy it?'.

Who indeed.
I'm not insulting you, but We are from two different worlds. I believe that all games and companies should be given a chance. I don't believe that a games better if it profitable, it's just more profitable.

James Raynor

Sep 3, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:

Too late: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.75513