Gears Of War Scriptwriter Wants To See Emergence Day

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Gears Of War Scriptwriter Wants To See Emergence Day

Gears of War [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0990406/] scriptwriter Chris Morgan says rumors about the upcoming movie being a prequel to the videogame aren't true, and that the Locust Horde will feature prominently if he has anything to say about it. (And he does.)

"There are elements to it that can be considered a prequel," Morgan said in an interview with MTV News [http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1598150/story.jhtml], "but it's not a prequel as far as I'm concerned."

The final script has yet to be approved by Epic Games [http://www.epicgames.com/], Morgan said, but he confirmed that the game's central characters would be present, and strongly implied that "Emergence Day" - the launch of the Locust invasion of Sera - will also figure prominently. "It would be a crying shame not to deal with Marcus and Dom," he said. "I would not be interested in the movie if we weren't dealing with them. I want to see those guys. I want to see 'Emergence Day.' I want to see this stuff happen."

Similarly, he said that Locust enemies from the game will also make an appearance. "I don't think you would want to see a movie of this game without them in it," he said. "If I have anything to do with it, you absolutely will [see Corpsers and Berserkers in the movie]. And I do. So the answer is 'Yes.'"

Nonetheless, Morgan said director Len Wiseman wants to avoid excess use of CGI, employing it only for some scenes featuring the Locust and other "big stuff." "In [Wiseman's] mind, he wants to make it as realistic as possible, and to blur those lines where your mind says, 'Oh, it's a big CGI film'," Morgan said. But while Wiseman will be responsible for translating the action to the screen, it's Morgan's job to ensure the movie feels like Gears of War.

"I can't write a joke to save my life, but I can, at the right moment, tap into that human thing that comes in when you're in a foxhole and things are raining down," he said. "I think you will definitely have those fun moments, those fun lines and moments between the two. But by and large, I think it will be gritty and real. I want to write and play it as though it happened today. Look outside at your city and imagine that the Locust started rising - that's how I want it to feel."

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
"I can't write a joke to save my life, but I can, at the right moment, tap into that human thing that comes in when you're in a foxhole and things are raining down"

Urr... Translation: I can't write to save my life?

Zombie_King

May 26, 2008
Dectilon said:
"I can't write a joke to save my life, but I can, at the right moment, tap into that human thing that comes in when you're in a foxhole and things are raining down"

Ha
Malygris said:
"I would not be interested in the movie if we weren't dealing with them. I want to see those guys. I want to see 'Emergence Day.' I want to see this stuff happen."
Ha

Because if you want to base a movie adaptation of a video game on anything, it's Emergence Day.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Sounds interesting. I don't know much about the Gears of War mythos so I can't comment but starting at the beginning sounds like a good idea. As for CGI- some of the BEST monsters have been made of latex and fabric. They should combine modern monster makers with CGI to create the best effects- except with the giant shit of course.

babyblues

Apr 22, 2008
Ah what the hell. It isn't by Uwe, so it can't be that bad. I'll probably see it.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
This movie will SUCK!

-because if it doesn't, then I will have to change my avatar ;_;

Still, I expect all video-game movie adaptations to suck. Badly. - and I will stick by it!

I don't care how ambitious the screenwriter is.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Dectilon said:

I translated that as "I know how to shit myself." but yours works too.

Bluntknife

Sep 8, 2008
There is realy only 1 game that I honestly think could be made into a good movie and proberly anyone who has played it will agree,
Crysis

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
They made Final Fantasy 7 into a decent movie already. Admittedly chock full of Japanese Shinji-esqueness...