For the Zombie Horde

Sean Sands

Optimistic Cynic
Sep 14, 2006
For the Zombie Horde

Sean Sands is rather annoyed at the zombie outbreak in World of Warcraft, but that doesn't mean he doesn't think it's brilliant.

Read Full Article

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
This zombie event hit the barrens hard, with about 10 people constantly yelling "Lol you're infected, you got aids!".

R.Nevermore

Mar 28, 2008
The Zombie event was a stroke of brilliance. The way it spread uncontrollably, and the way it plunged the most peaceful places of relatively peaceful continents into pure chaos. We can all be sure that this was Blizzard wanting to recreate the catastrophic 'Corrupted Blood' plague that hit the world more than three years ago. If people studied the impact that Corrupted Blood hit the world with, we can be sure they will be studying this.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
I think it would've been much better if they had kept the Argent Dawn healers immune to the ravaging effects of the disease, that way I would've been able to actually get somethign done while still enjoying the zombie incursion at my leisure.
While not a stroke of genius, as you called it, still a rather entertaining diversion in a game that is growing increasingly stale as I see Star Wars: The Old Republic looming upon the horizon

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Something I covered some time ago. [http://www.reviewsrantsrandomness.com/2008/10/becoming-wow-zombie.html]

Still, I agree Sean (two weeks running? What's wrong with the world?!); the event was both a boon and bane to WoW players. Sure, levelling was nigh on impossible and the lag in cities on populated servers was impossible to deal with, but so what? Blizzard has found a great way to bring something original and touching to the game environment and because it wasn't permanent, the experience was pretty much enjoyable. It only lasted 7 days or so, so why did people complain so much? Seems ridiculous and futile to whine, in my opinion.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
If this had happened 6 months ago, I think more people would have had cause to complain, as it is, almost everyone seems to have pretty much quit playing, no-one wants to grind rep, because it'll all be irrelevant in 2 weeks, same goes for raiding, cash, and almost everything else if you're 70. In the run up to WOTLK, its really not disturbing too many people and inciting some interest in whats coming soon.

It WAS harsh for the low levels, but hey, its about a week, its a one off, and its balanced by the number of 70s taking lowbies thru free boosts of instances just because they want to tick off an achievement

Feb 13, 2008
This would have pissed me off.

Perhaps I'm one of the 'care-bear' players that were so warmly talked about, but would you like to name any online sandbox world where you can't be routinely screwed over by some resident moron? Hundreds and hundreds of MMO's out there and every single one chants 'PvP' like some other zombies.

Maybe, when they manage to eliminate balance issues, lag issues, key macros, bug issues from the PvP areas, then I'll really enjoy them. Things like TF2 I love.

But if I'm playing to relax, taking in easy routes that get me little risk and some idiot repeatedly drops the world ending on me; I'm really gonna get pissed and stop playing.

However...

World's shouldn't be static. Unpredictability makes it more exciting. But you can't rely on Players to provide that unpredictability because, in general, we're a bunch of bullies. Look at how much advantages we take over even the easiest fight...what makes you think we wouldn't use the same devious sneak tactics in a PVP fight?

Now if you want to use that, take it further...have the Undead Presence creep slowly across the land...so the care-bears can huddle in their cities whilst the risk-takers leap onto the front lines, but then get butchered by the risk takers coming forward. Have Zombie artefacts spawning within the no-man's land, so they turn on each other. Really turn it into the Day of the Dead.

Don't just go, "Ooh it's Halloween, here's something that will annoy all but benefit a few."

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Now if you want to use that, take it further...have the Undead Presence creep slowly across the land...so the care-bears can huddle in their cities whilst the risk-takers leap onto the front lines, but then get butchered by the risk takers coming forward. Have Zombie artefacts spawning within the no-man's land, so they turn on each other. Really turn it into the Day of the Dead.
Well, that's exactly what happened initially. The article just chose to focus on the part where it became a pandemic.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
i must have picked the worst time to quit Wow...

maybe its just cause i cant play it anymore everythin looks so much better, the grass is always greener on the other side...

i would have really enjoyed this and killing all my mates and turning them into zombies sounds awesome :D

Feb 13, 2008
Melaisis said:
Well, that's exactly what happened initially. The article just chose to focus on the part where it became a pandemic.
That's always the problem with MMO's; Hardcore players (not all) will turn anything to their advantage. Whilst it alienates Casual players.

Just think what would happen if you were rendered a level 1 Zombie for a day....

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Melaisis said:
That's always the problem with MMO's; Hardcore players (not all) will turn anything to their advantage. Whilst it alienates Casual players.

Just think what would happen if you were rendered a level 1 Zombie for a day....
This is why the whole 'oh, its just like Corrupted Blood [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrupted_Blood]! I bet scientists will use it to study how people react in these situations!' is absolute bullshit, because there's always some sadistic, fun-loving nutter who defies the rule and goes out purposely to infect the causals.

Feb 13, 2008
Melaisis said:
Melaisis said:

This is why the whole 'oh, its just like Corrupted Blood [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrupted_Blood]! I bet scientists will use it to study how people react in these situations!' is absolute bullshit, because there's always some sadistic, fun-loving nutter who defies the rule and goes out purposely to infect the causals.
Same small percentage that go ape with a gun in RL and then say "Video Games made me do it."

But we're not alone in having that group.

Lemony

May 2, 2008
Now one question I would like to ask the public: Now that Blizzard has done this zombie invasion, IF they reworked it so that it would be less annoying and make it so that those people with 1 hour a day to play can still play, would you like it if they inputed the zombie invasion into say the Halloween Event?
BTW, me being a total zombie fan, I loved the idea IF you have the time and thought that this was a cool way of resurrecting the Blood Plague that happened 4 years ago.

Mean Mother Rucker

Oct 27, 2008
I play on Bloodscalp, and multiple times in the same day, all of Orgrimmar and parts of Booty Bay were completely obliterated. I mean the zombie explosion move just allowed the plague to move amongst the populace all the faster.
Plus people get overly obsessive and seem to be high whilst playing because they actually offer the idea of going on raids as zombies... No healers, everyone just converging on something, then barfing on themselves to heal. Then all of them dying halfway through the raid because the barfing on yourself doesn't work. Then one of the half-wits would then suggest that the entire raid blow up. And they do it, like cows to the slaughter...
Excuse me for a moment, I have to go lay down somewhere...

Rashjun

Jun 26, 2008
Angron post=6.75611.878674 said:
i must have picked the worst time to quit Wow...

maybe its just cause i cant play it anymore everythin looks so much better, the grass is always greener on the other side...

i would have really enjoyed this and killing all my mates and turning them into zombies sounds awesome :D
I agree, but for me quitting was inevitable. It got to the point where I would be on for 5 minutes, then log off becuase I didnt want to play anymore. So I left it for Warhammer (BTW im not trying to start a what game is better arguement), but ive been recently feeling this....feeling that has slowly increased over my departure and reading this suddenly made me realize what i think it is, guilt. Lets say that WoW is wife, and WAR is a secretary I work with (great imagination ive got). While going with the secretary is new and exciting and fun, it leaves you with a portion of guilt in your heart that you have cheated on your wife with someone else.

Now im just going get to the point of the paragraph. I feel bad for leaving WoW, this increases that feeling, but I probably wont go back.
(love how i could have just said that instead of the paragraph).

Lampdevil

Dec 12, 2007
Yellow Lad Unleashed said:
I play on Bloodscalp, and multiple times in the same day, all of Orgrimmar and parts of Booty Bay were completely obliterated. I mean the zombie explosion move just allowed the plague to move amongst the populace all the faster.
Plus people get overly obsessive and seem to be high whilst playing because they actually offer the idea of going on raids as zombies... No healers, everyone just converging on something, then barfing on themselves to heal. Then all of them dying halfway through the raid because the barfing on yourself doesn't work. Then one of the half-wits would then suggest that the entire raid blow up. And they do it, like cows to the slaughter...
Excuse me for a moment, I have to go lay down somewhere...
Y'see, that sounds like my idea of a good time. Blizzard just handed us all a Neat New Toy! Sure, okay, so we're not going to get any questing done for a few hours, possibly a day or two... so what? Time to play with the Neat New Toy! Zombie Raids? Sure! Let's test the limits of this thing! Let's see just what we can do! Funtimes!

...okay, at first, I was mildly annoyed by the zombie plague, too. But after meditating upon the whole thing, I realized that it wasn't going to last forever, and the option exists to get out of the area or switch to a different character... or even just stop playing for a bit. The normal treadmill will be back, and it's not like this is a permanent change, eh? I remember cutting my teeth on MMOs where events WERE pretty much unleashing bizzare and disruptive chaos upon the population. It's all kinda... nostalgic, when viewed through that lens.