WWE, THQ Censor Smackdown Game Previews

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
WWE, THQ Censor Smackdown Game Previews

With the latest Smackdown vs Raw release coming this month, the wrestling organization behind it is protecting the public image of one of the company's top stars, Triple H, by disallowing pictures of him "in a defenseless or vulnerable position."

Two professional wrestling magazines, Fighting Spirit and Power Slam, confirmed details from a leaked private memo World Wrestling Entertainment and game publisher THQ sent to gaming media companies forbidding the depiction of WWE superstar Triple H in harm's way.

Power Slam discovered that Triple H is the only one of the "protected" wrestlers, but no characters can be shown bleeding, in the interest of maintaining the company's image more consumer-friendly.

"Digital Politics", the Fighting Spirit feature leaking the memo details, rants about Triple H's in-ring indestructibility and rumored controlling of the company. An anonymous games journalist told the publication, "There are further stipulations that highlight which screenshots will immediately be given the thumbs down. These include screenshots of 'superstars' (not allowed to refer to them as wrestlers) bleeding, weapons being used... and we're not allowed to take ANY screenshots of Triple H losing or ANY screenshots of Triple H in a 'defenceless or vulnerable position'. Oh, and the game still sucks."

Power Slam's story seems better sourced, supposedly quoting straight from the memo the directions for previewers that they "Do NOT show blood. If using weapons, do not show anything with significant force (or intent to have)," and in reporting on "The Game" Triple H, media must "Refrain from showing Triple H in a losing/defeated/defenceless position."

Non-wrestling watchers may wonder why one star is so coveted. These actions could be due to Triple H's notoriety as one of the biggest drawing superstars with the WWE -- or his marriage to the company's owner's daughter, Stephanie McMahon.

Source: Rajah [http://rajah.com/base/node/14048]

Greyhawk

Sep 29, 2008
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the WWE insisted the game be programmed so that Triple H couldn't lose a match. Not that I'd actually play a wrestling game...well except for Pro Wrestling on the NES. I still have a warm fuzzy for that one.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
ooookkkk....

well either way its more publicity for WWE this way...
but maybe Triple H is a poor loser...or that he never loses rigged matches...or that the WWE have gone really downhill (in terms of wrestling and games)

sorry....in a bad mood...

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
Angron said:
ooookkkk....

well either way its more publicity for WWE this way...
but maybe Triple H is a poor loser...or that he never loses rigged matches...or that the WWE have gone really downhill (in terms of wrestling and games)

sorry....in a bad mood...
Triple H (Paul L.) has at least been in the past to be known as having a lot of influence in the locker room, creative control of his character (ala Hogan), and quite a big backstage ego. He will indeed put other wrestlers 'over', but I'm sure knowing well ahead of time that he get's a bigger favor down the line. I suppose being married to the boss's daughetr helps too.

In more recent times, he seems to be a bit more relaxed or willing to play the game of scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours. Maybe fatherhood mellowed him recently, but overall this story doesn't surprise me in the least.

Each promotion has had it's stars that they wanted to protect. In the 80's, Hogan....90's maybe Nash and Michaels.

Man, I read to many of these dirt sheets....(Note to self: Grow up)

Feb 13, 2008
Well, if they have Cactus Jack in there, it's gonna be sort of difficult to show him with no blood.
And if Hunter Hearst Helmsley (Yeh, I went there) can't be shown in a vulnerable position, that sort of rules out Golddust, SCSA, The Rock, Undertaker, Big Show, Cena's finishing moves...

But as long as we get to give the Stunner to Steph., I'll be happy.

And that's the bottom line.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
yeah i stopped watching wrasslin after triple h started to rule the roost

it had already been on a long downward spiral before that but he just pushed it over the edge. the difference between him and Hogan in the 80s/90s is the fact that he was making milions for the wwe, triple h is just boinking the boss' daughter