Game Addicts Group Launches First Canadian Chapter

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Game Addicts Group Launches First Canadian Chapter

On-Line Gamers Anonymous has opened its first Canadian branch in London, Ontario, offering hope and help for recovery to people suffering from addiction to online gaming.

Over 16 million people have immersed themselves in virtual words, according to chapter founder Brad Dorrance, himself a recovering gamer, some of whom play for as long as ten hours straight. Though gaming isn't recognized as a legitimate addiction in the medical community, Dorrance believes that things like a diagnostic consensus among medical and addiction professionals is less important than getting some face time in the news. "It's high time this got the mainstream media attention that it deserves," he said. "We're not going to wait for the medical profession to recognize or put their stamp of approval on this addiction."

Dorrance, a recovering addict himself, said his online gaming habits "went off the rails about a year ago," when he found himself spending 12 hours a day at the computer trying to feed his habit before finally taking an overdose of sedatives last December. With the help of On-Line Gamers Anonymous, his family and his church, he has now managed to go ten months game-free. "The big challenge is rebuilding trust in a damaged marriage," he said. "I think people need to see how much damage can be done to a relationship by any addiction, even this one."

The first meeting of the London, Ontario chapter of On-Line Gamers Anonymous takes place at 7 pm on November 5. To learn more about the group, check out their website at olganon.com [http://www.olganon.com].

(photo: On-Line Gamers Anonymous Board of Directors [http://www.olganon.org/?q=meet_our_staff])

Source: London Free Press [http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/News/Local/2008/11/04/7296301-sun.html]

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Should I be proud or humbled that these guys are pretty much in my back yard?

I do honestly believe that some players do get obsessive about gaming, and do need help breaking that loop; I'm just not certain that the term "addiction" applies clinically. Still, whatever helps folks get their lives back on-track is fine by me.

-- Steve

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
smallharmlesskitten said:
Its called world of warcrack for a reason
Because most gamers have the imagination and wit of a 3 year old stroke victim?

Travisa

Oct 23, 2008
I'm still not totally convinced that online game addiction is a real widespread problem. I'm sure that there are some people that have become clinically adicted, but I think most people could stop if they really wanted to, or were forced to. In my time spent playing World of Warcraft I never felt that I was adicted, I knew that I played it compulsively but I never thought that I would really freak out if I couldn't play for a week or something. The thing with this game is the way it's designed, so that for anyone even reasonably competitive (let's face it not many people play multiplayer games to chat and make friends) you need to play WoW pretty compulsively to stay up to date and have a chance against other players. So as the time invested in your character increases so does your resolve to keep at it and not give up, of course until boredom inevitably sets in and you quit for a while.

Perhaps people can be addicted to the WoW in the sense that their body becomes addicted to the chemicals released when they play it, but then why aren't so many people addicted to other games like Mario Kart or Counter Strike or even other RPGs such as Baldur's Gate. I think it's just the nature of some types of games (specifially MMORPGs) rather than a clinical addiction.

P.S - Although anything that does help these people sort themselves out is a good thing, more power to 'em.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Have I been insulted amnestic? I must not have had my coffee yet
Only if you find "World of Warcrack" funny/witty.

Scypemonk

Proud TBB Warrior
Sep 26, 2007
I seriously think people misunderstand the term addiction, that has something to do with chemical addictions, and such. You can not be addicted to videogames, you can be obsessed with them, like people are obsessed with books, comics, tv-programs, or any other entertainment medium.

Still, a good idea to offer help, and a good initiative.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Not really. It does hold a small token of truth however. case in point that dude with 32 accounts.
If he didn't do it with WoW, he'd do it with something else.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Malygris said:
when he found himself spending 12 hours a day at the computer trying to feed his habit before finally taking an overdose of sedatives last December.
Uhm...what? So okay he was gaming for 12 hours and thats excessive but the sedative overdose? Isn't that bit of a left-field thing to do?

Arkfeller

Nov 14, 2007
Somehow the group makes 'online gaming addiction' sound like a disease or unhealthy habit like smoking...

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Arkfeller said:
Somehow the group makes 'online gaming addiction' sound like a disease or unhealthy habit like smoking...
And it's religious. blegh. Anyone else starting to become reminded of that one south park episode?

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
Aries_Split said:
Anyone else starting to become reminded of that one south park episode?
Only everytime I hear about the AA.

"Young man, I don't think you know about the Twelve-Step Plan."
"No, but I know a little about cults."

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Scypemonk said:
I seriously think people misunderstand the term addiction, that has something to do with chemical addictions, and such. You can not be addicted to videogames, you can be obsessed with them, like people are obsessed with books, comics, tv-programs, or any other entertainment medium.

That is incorrect. You can for example also be addicted to gambling. I certainly think that in a few cases addiction to a MMORPG (mostly World of Warcraft) can be a very serious issue.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Aries_Split said:
Arkfeller said:
And it's religious. blegh. Anyone else starting to become reminded of that one south park episode?
I Have A Disease Stan, I Am Helpless.

Rankao

Mar 10, 2008
Mister Benoit said:
Aries_Split said:
Arkfeller said:
I Have A Disease Stan, I Am Helpless.
I love South park and house dumb the adults are.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
The main reason wow contains the most cases of OCD sufferers is because wow is 67% of the mmo market. When everything's spread equal, they have twice as much cases as everybody else combined anyway. The netherlands have a similar clinic. $130(converted from euro's) for 30 min of "psychiatric aid". And it's apparemtly "cool" to blame blizzard for everything that goes wrong.

TheWickerPopstar

Dec 6, 2007
Aardvark Soup said:
Scypemonk said:

That is incorrect. You can for example also be addicted to gambling. I certainly think that in a few cases addiction to a MMORPG (mostly World of Warcraft) can be a very serious issue.
Very true. Addiction can theoretically come from anything that causes pleasure. Addiction is typically assigned to situations in which neurotransmitters (such as dopamine, serotonin, and other "pleasure" chemicals) are temporarily increased or made more potent through one's behavior or the use of chemicals. After prolonged usage, the chemicals become less effective and the brain demands more, usually resulting in more of the pleasurable behavior. Video games cause the brain to release these pleasure transmitters, at least the good ones do, so it's possible to go overboard.

Sex, gambling, gaming--all can be potentially addictive, but I'd like to see if the brain is permanently effected by behavior-induced addictions the same way it is by chemically-induced addiction.

Go science!