CliffyB Likens Gears Of War 2 Demo To Cheap Sex

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
CliffyB Likens Gears Of War 2 Demo To Cheap Sex

Poetic word-wizard CliffyB has somehow managed to equate the absence of a Gears of War 2 [http://www.gearsofwar.com] demo with nailing some chick you've just met.

"A beta is like hooking up with a girl just to say, 'Yeah, I f*cked her'," Gears of War 2 Lead Designer Cliff Bleszinski told GamePro [http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/207732/cliff-bleszinski-dishes-on-gears-and-games-2-2/]. "I know that sounds crude, but it's the honest-to-God truth. Once you play a beta, you can check it off your list - you can say, 'Yeah, I played it.' Then you might not feel motivated to get that initial cherry popping from the proper, final game."

Time constraints were apparently also an issue, although not nearly as much fun to talk about because it's a lot harder to equate milestones and release schedules with picking up some half-drunk bimbo at a bar. "Honestly, we could make a demo, but Gears of War 2 wouldn't be out until February of 2009 [if we did]," he added. "That stuff takes time to put together."

It sort of makes sense, actually, although it could just as easily be argued that demos and betas are more akin to a first date, that special moment when two people come together to discover the magic between them. (Or perhaps the tragicomic train wreck that more often results.) In any event, don't hold your breath for a Gears of War 2 demo; and regardless of the merits of his point, as long as he keeps saying idiotic fratboy crap like this, don't hold your breath waiting for me to stop calling him CliffyB.

TheBadass

Aug 27, 2008
What is it people seem to have against fratboys? I mean, did they steal your lunch money or something?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I thought the purpose of participating in betas was to try and break the game, then file a report about it. Thereby preventing release day shenanigens. Or have I been doing something wrong?

rougeknife

Jan 2, 2008
On one hand I think he's a wanker, on the other hand, that?s a good way of making a point.

Especially when the chick was a lousy lay the first time and doesn't look like any input from you will improve her, so what?s the point in spending money taking her out to do it again?

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
I dunno, video games would be a much duller place if it weren't for Cliff's intermittent quotes. I'm still scratching my head at the New Yorker piece comparing him to Cormac McCarthy though...

OverlordSteve

Jul 8, 2008
Linking his demos to cheap sex, calling Pallin a MILF on the record, complaining about torrents 24/7, Jesus Christ, is this guy the George W Bush of gaming or something?

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
OverlordSteve said:
Linking his demos to cheap sex, calling Pallin a MILF on the record, complaining about torrents 24/7, Jesus Christ, is this guy the George W Bush of gaming or something?
<3 CliffyB, Bush wouldn't have the cohone (or w/e the correct spelling is) to deliver like Mr. Bleszinski

soupman

Aug 13, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
I dunno, video games would be a much duller place if it weren't for Cliff's intermittent quotes. I'm still scratching my head at the New Yorker piece comparing him to Cormac McCarthy though...
yeah - he may be an insufferable jock, but he's *our* insufferable jock. Although i'm not sure the depiction of him as some sort of visionary gelled with the inset photo of Cliff in toy armour!

OverlordSteve said:
does that make dyack and molyneux the cheney and rumsfeld of gaming? actually it seems just about impossible for well known developers to avoid getting some embarassing thing they've said all over the net every now and then...

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
I wanna try before I buy OK! You take someone on a date, get to know them, and then you get Married. Not Marriage first, disappointment later.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with CliffyB. Hell, I love CliffyB. My only point is that if he wants me to stop calling him CliffyB, then he's gotta stop acting like CliffyB.

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
I have to disagree with "CliffyB's" take on a DEMO or a Beta.

Nevertheless, both of them take time to put together.

Still...I'd rather be able to play the Demo and have some minimal assurance of what I will or won't be buying in the (near) future.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I disagree Mr. B. Also, wow, thats pretty unclassy.

And yet strangely awesome at the same time...

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
cainx10a post=7.76105.891640 said:
OverlordSteve said:
<3 CliffyB, Bush wouldn't have the cohone (or w/e the correct spelling is) to deliver like Mr. Bleszinski

He has the cojones of deliverance!