Ubisoft Cancels Heroes Videogame

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ubisoft Cancels Heroes Videogame

As ratings fall and fans tune out, Heroes [http://www.ubi.com] after all.

The deal to publish a third-person action game based on the formerly-hit TV series was announced [http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19985168/] in July 2007, with a potential release date set for as early as late 2008. "From Day 1 we've all been thinking about the game," Jesse Alexander, co-executive producer on the show, said at the time. "All along we've been writing some of our stories in ways they can tie into the eventual video game."

But since then, ratings have tanked, and according to Variety [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/11/06/ubisoft-drops-plans-for-heroes-game/] reported a few days ago that Alexander, along with fellow co-executive producer Jeph Loeb, were both fired by NBC, the result of ongoing "hefty budget overruns" and dissatisfaction with the show's creative direction among studio executives.

Not much surprise, then, that Ubisoft has lost its taste for developing a game based on the failing franchise. "The rights to the Heroes videogame have reverted back to NBC Universal [http://www.nbcuni.com/]," Ubisoft Public Relations Director Jaime Cottini said in a statement. "Ubisoft will no longer produce a videogame based on the TV series." Whether NBC will continue to pursue a game based on the show is unknown, but doesn't seem particularly likely at this point.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
It's good to hear the show's turn for the worse is being reflected in it's ratings... The show had a great first season, but the potential was thrown out the window. Yes, the first season's twists were all great and hooked audiences, that doesn't mean you start putting one in every 5 seconds.

broadband

Dec 15, 2007
the problem with this show is that they been using the same base for the plot in all the seasons, stop the horrible future that someone saw, it seems that the only interesting thing in the show now is the Hiro Nakamura story

Zombie_King

May 26, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
It's good to hear the show's turn for the worse is being reflected in it's ratings... The show had a great first season, but the potential was thrown out the window. Yes, the first season's twists were all great and hooked audiences, that doesn't mean you start putting one in every 5 seconds.
Ehh, I know what you mean. It's hard to remain optimistic as a Heroes fan. I'm glad they cancelled the game, though. No game developer in the world can adapt this series into a game, without ruining the game itself.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
A Heroes game probably would have tanked anyways. Personally, I still like the show and think this season is much better than season 2, but I don't like it for the same reasons I did with season 1. I liked season 1 because of the "normal people" quality it had, the good character development, and the chemistry the characters had with each other. But now? I watch it because it's freaking insane XD all the random and rediculous twists are hilarious in my opinion.

Samah

Jul 7, 2008
...many fans have been put off by the show's "increasingly convoluted" story.
It's not THAT bad... it's certainly no Lost. Lost got so confusing I just gave up. I love the story in Heroes season 3!

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
ZeroMachine said:
A Heroes game probably would have tanked anyways. Personally, I still like the show and think this season is much better than season 2, but I don't like it for the same reasons I did with season 1. I liked season 1 because of the "normal people" quality it had, the good character development, and the chemistry the characters had with each other. But now? I watch it because it's freaking insane XD all the random and rediculous twists are hilarious in my opinion.
Same feeling here. I loved season 1, even if the ending was terrible (Did Peter just happened to forget he could fly?!?). Season 2 was crap. No two ways around it. I am enjoying season 3 so far...but its just not the same as the first series. Sylar a good guy...what?! Are you fucking with me?

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Spot on, mate!

AuntyEthel said:
Judging most tie-in adaptations, its probably a good thing.
Indeed. Looking at Ubisoft's other tie-in franchises, it may very well have been 'Heroez: Da Fashion Yearz'.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
In all fairness the 1st season=awesome, the 2nd=awful, the 3rd=amazing (so far). The 2nd was only bad because of the writers strike. Peter has basically forgotten about that Irish girl, (forgot her name).

Admittedly though I don't think you could make a game that would do it justice, unless it was the single most epic game ever, (well at least for the next 20 years)

TheWickerPopstar

Dec 6, 2007
Agree to all. The Mr. Patrelli arc is such a huge card to pull...they really should have waited a season or two.

Either way, if they were to make a Heroes game, I think the best way to do it would be to ditch the plot and stick solely to the premise: Suddenly normal people can do some pretty cool stuff. The player creates a hero and is treated with the same mundanity that each hero was treated with in the first season, and eventually the bigger picture stuff, like the goings-on of the company, plays a role.

I'd play it, but it probably wouldn't be successful because the masses would want to play as their favorite hero instead of using their creativity to make one of their own.

Oh, God...I'm a fanboy.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
It's not so much convoluted as it is stupid. I used to watch it as a comedy show : )

You just know that there are some 12-year olds somewhere crying over this, saying it was going to be the best game ever.

dwoo21

Aug 30, 2009
I continue to watch heroes and I really love the show but i just cant see it as a videogame aka it would have tanked if it had been released

dwoo21

Aug 30, 2009
Lt. Sera said:
fish food carl said:
I don't even watch the thing, but my cousin keeps on encouraging me to. Is he a fool?
Watch season 1, then quit.
He's right season 1 was good and in my opinion i liked season 2 but season 3 was where Heroes lost its mojo