Dead Space DLC Coming Soon

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dead Space DLC Coming Soon

Fans of PlayStation 3 [http://www.deadspacegame.com].

Several upgrade packs will be available, including platform-exclusive weapon and suit skins for each console. The new DLC will provide gamers with "the ultimate Necromorph-dismembering equipment," with new looks and upgraded powers for many of the game's weapons including the plasma cutter, contact beam, pulse rifle, flamethrower and ripper. The complete list of forthcoming DLC includes:

Astronaut Pack: Features an Astronaut Suit and new skins for the Plasma Cutter, Pulse Rifle, and Ripper. - $3.00 / 240 MS points

Big Gun Pack: Download the Steam Punk Force Gun, the ultimate in Necromorph-killing destruction. - $1.00 / 80 MS points

Heavy Damage Pack: Features a new look and massive firepower for the Plasma Cutter, Contact Beam, Pulse Rifle, and Ripper. - $3.00 / 240 MS points

Hot Rod Pack: Features flame graphics for the Flamethrower and Pulse Rifle. - $1.00 / 80 MS points

Military Pack: Features a new look and enhanced power for all 7 Dead Space weapons. - $4.00 / 320 MS points

Pedestrian Pack: Features a fresh new look for the Contact Beam, Plasma Cutter, and Ripper. - $1.50 / 120 MS points

Scorpion Pack: Features an upgraded Level 5 Suit and powered up Plasma Cutter, Line Gun, and Force Gun, all decorated in a red Scorpion Skin. - $4.00 / 320 MS points

Scorpion Weapon Pack: Features a faster death-dealing Plasma Cutter, Line Gun, and Force Gun in red skins. - $2.25 / 180 MS points

Speed Kills Pack: Features a faster-firing Force Gun, Line Gun, and Plasma Cutter. - $2.25 / 180 MS points

Tank Pack: Features an upgraded Level 5 Suit and powered up Flamethrower, Force Gun, and Line Gun, all covered in Unitology script. - $4.00 / 320 MS points

PlayStation 3 Exclusive Packs:

Obsidian Weapon Skin Pack: Includes weapon skins in jet-black PlayStation 3 colors for the Line Gun, Plasma Cutter, and Pulse Rifle.
- $1.50

Obsidian Pack: Includes an upgraded Level 5 suit, and weapon skins for the Line Gun, Plasma Cutter, and Pulse Rifle, all in jet-black PlayStation 3 colors.
- $3.00

Xbox 360 Exclusive Packs:

Elite Weapon Skin Pack: Includes weapon skins in Xbox 360 colors for the Line Gun, Plasma Cutter, and Pulse Rifle. -120 MS points

Elite Pack: Includes an upgraded Level 5 suit, and weapon skins for the Line Gun, Plasma Cutter, and Pulse Rifle in Xbox 360 colors. - 240 MS points

Not that I want to imply that this stuff isn't amazing and awesome and ultimate, but am I the only one who's hearing the neighing of horses and clanking of armor echoing in the distance? When I think of worthwhile DLC, I think of new stories to be told, new places to explore, new skulls to vaporize - not a flame paintjob for my pulse rifle. On the other hand, I've already been told by one person that she'd pay a buck for the Steam Punk Force Gun, so maybe I'm on the wrong side of the fence. Appropriately-priced upgrade or cheap cash grab? Only you can decide.

The new upgrade packs will be available worldwide on PlayStation Store [http://www.xbox.com/en-us/live/marketplace/] on November 13, and to the rest of the world on the PlayStation Store beginning November 20.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
well that's a stunnningly weak effort by EA.

When I read the headline I was hoping for a whole new level or some kind of multiplayer content, not pay money to make your gun a different colour. Although if that Astronaut suit improves your air reserves or has some other affect on gameplay it could be useful.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Wow 3 bucks for new skins?
Wasn't the obsidian suit free before the game came out, and now they want to start charging for it?

scarbunny

Beware of geeks bearing gifs.
Aug 11, 2008
Hot Rod Pack: Features flame graphics for the Flamethrower and Pulse Rifle. - $1.00 / 80 MS points
Ummm, shouldnt the game have come with the flame graphics???

I new EA were bad but really selling graphics?

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Excuse me for pointing this out, but some of those are already out (and have been out for some time) on the 360. I currently have the Elite suit (it was free when I got it) and the Scorpion suit was going for 200 msp (I saw both of these on the release day).

I personally don't see the point of half of these...what am I saying half for? I don't see the point of any of these!
I've lost count of the number of times I was walking down a dark coridoor when the thought struck me that I'd look cooler in red and black with flame decals on my gun.

Wouldn't most of these detract from the horror element of the game anyway (and giving you a fully upgraded suit from the word go makes this game a little bit too easy cash-wise).

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
I find it horrific that you are required to pay for these new extras, we've just spent £40 on your bloody game! In addition,

Malygris said:
On the other hand, I've already been told by one person that she'd pay a buck for the Steam Punk Force Gun
they're being very smart here. Most people won't think anything of paying $1 for a new weapon, or further upgrades for the weapons because $1 seems so small. However even if 1,000 people buy it that is an extra $1,000. I'll give you an example, on Steam recently they were selling Audiosurf and a game called 'Eets' for $2.49 each. I bought audiosurf because it was a funny gimmick and Eets seemed cute-sy. They work out to be about £1.80 so it really felt like nothing to me, but I imagine that is the reason why they did it - everyone who would buy it bought it ages ago.

Riicek

Oct 24, 2008
the_tramp said:
I find it horrific that you are required to pay for these new extras, we've just spent £40 on your bloody game! In addition,

You aren't required to pay for these extras. And, as has been pointed out, most of these really are moderately worthless, so you aren't really missing out on anything that fantastic if the thought of shelling out rubs you the wrong way.

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
Riicek said:
the_tramp said:

You aren't required to pay for these extras. And, as has been pointed out, most of these really are moderately worthless, so you aren't really missing out on anything that fantastic if the thought of shelling out rubs you the wrong way.
Sorry, you misinterpretted 'required', I meant we're required to pay, not required to get them. As in we've just spent £40 on this game so we should get these downloads for free.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
ElephantGuts said:
Just upgraded stats for guns and suits and new skins? Not very impressive. Not worth the money.
-and hopefully no one buys this. Lets say someone purchased everything on the Xbox. That's up to like, $30. That's half the price of the game. If people are willfully getting ripped off, then expect Dead Space "creepy and cute parts" soon.

Fanboy

Oct 20, 2008
Pointless. It was a fun game, but this crap isn't going to extend its replay value.

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
The great thing about PC, is that if you REALLY want those things, it's just a matter of time till someone turns it into a free exe file.

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
Malygris said:
When I think of worthwhile DLC, I think of new stories to be told, new places to explore, new skulls to vaporize - not a flame paintjob for my pulse rifle.

Appropriately-priced upgrade or cheap cash grab? Only you can decide.
Heh...that's the same thing I thought exactly. $1 for a paint job that doesn't affect the weapon power itself? Why? Seems like a cash grab to me. I may pay for some new weapons with actual new powers, but some of this does sound odd. Maybe if they designed a new room somewhere with unlockable equipment....yes, but skin jobs for guns...??

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
And as usual they follow the route of releasing the game on three platforms and then pretending they only released it on two. I think it's because they can't charge people on the pc for stuff that everybody could copy paste in on their own.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
PedroSteckecilo said:
Personally I want an "Isaac's Dialogue" pack, the one thing that was really missing from Dead Space.
It was OK in earlier chapters where you just feel all alone and don't really need to say anything...but at the ending chapters of the game it was just awkward. Made him look like even more of a robot.

Riicek

Oct 24, 2008
the_tramp said:
Riicek said:
the_tramp said:

Sorry, you misinterpretted 'required', I meant we're required to pay, not required to get them. As in we've just spent £40 on this game so we should get these downloads for free.
I didn't misinterpret what you said, but I perhaps worded my response wrong.

The point is, you bought the original game, with no promise of any free content to be released in the future. I just don't understand the uproar that ensues every time DLC is released that costs money. It doesn't affect the game that you bought if you don't purchase the additional gun/skin/whatever;* if you aren't interested don't buy it. If you are interested, make the decision whether it's worth the money to you. If your conclusion is that you don't want to spend money on it, don't buy it.

*Most of the time, anyway. There are other issues such as dropping out of multiplayer games because you haven't purchased a new map pack, but this instance is certainly not comparable.