Rolling Stone's 50 Best Rock Games Of All Time

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rolling Stone's 50 Best Rock Games Of All Time

Rolling Stone has created a list of the 50 Best Rock and Roll Videogames Of All Time, leaving gamers around the world stunned by the knowledge that there are actually 50 rock and roll videogames in existence.

As you might expect, a list of the 50 "best" rock games is going to include a certain number of titles that would be more suitable for lists like "50 Best Dumps I've Ever Taken." Some of the games on the list, like the KISS Psycho Circus [http://www.guitarhero.com], which I mention only as an excuse to link to Old Man Murray's review.

How bad is it? The rollingstone.com [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_Piano].

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
Why did they even make it a "Top 50" to begin with? What's wrong with a Top 10 or a Top 5? This seems more like a "The only 50 music games ever made" than a Top 50 Best Music Games Ever Made.

EDIT: I like how this is called Rolling Stones Top 50 Rock and Roll Games of all time and this is on it.http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/24015954/page/17

fluffylandmine

Jul 23, 2008
AMAZING! They found 51 music games!

That's just a feat on it's own.

Indigo_Dingo said:
I say it would have been better to make the top 50 Game Soundtracks to rock your face off. Coming in at No. 1, Grand Theft Auto, Vice City, which transformed me into a headbanger in 3.5 seconds.
My friends and myself listen to adult contemporary for comedic affect during a police chase.

Nothing beats getting hunted down by the army, than being chased by the army while listening to 'Karma Chameleon'.

deathyepl

May 9, 2008
Indigo - To be fair, the list's not in order of awesomeness, it's in order of release.

However, the list got a great big "Fail" from me for not including Audiosurf, which is my personal favorite music game of all time, and I know I'm not alone on that front.

fluffylandmine

Jul 23, 2008
Ok dingo that's good if you want an extreme action-y chase. But I do all that stuff in GTA for comedy.

Like running over hookers while listening to 'Party all the Time' or 'Take On Me'.

Feb 13, 2008
Frankie Goes To Hollywood was a good game though, if extremely weird.

Actually...Epic Fail...No Rock and Roll Racing?/Rock N Wrestle?/The Blues Brothers?

qbert4ever

Dec 14, 2007
No Custer's Revenge? After all, it was the only game where he really DID "rock out with his....

Actually, I don't want to get banned. This list still sucks.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
A lot of these games are interesting from a collecting perspective, but as far as actually wanting to play them the only game on that list I'd even let in the house is Loom.

Also, I was a huge Frankie fan back in the day. Huge.

Feb 13, 2008
Malygris said:
A lot of these games are interesting from a collecting perspective, but as far as actually wanting to play them the only game on that list I'd even let in the house is Loom.

Also, I was a huge Frankie fan back in the day. Huge.
Did you have a "Frankie Says..." T-Shirt Malygris? ;)

Dogeman5

Apr 8, 2008
50 Cent Bulletproof !?!? They really had to scrape the bottom of the Barrel for this.
WTF! No REZ, they must have their heads shoved up there

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
fluffylandmine said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
I say it would have been better to make the top 50 Game Soundtracks to rock your face off. Coming in at No. 1, Grand Theft Auto, Vice City, which transformed me into a headbanger in 3.5 seconds.
My friends and myself listen to adult contemporary for comedic affect during a police chase.

Nothing beats getting hunted down by the army, than being chased by the army while listening to 'Karma Chameleon'.
Try again, this time listening to the opening riffs of Two Minutes to Midnight
Did you ever play a slightly retarded Serious Sam clone called Will Rock? The menu music was a derivation of "I wanna rock" by Twisted Sister, and the game took a God of War-esque theme of "Meet Greek myth monsters: kill them, meet Greek gods: kill them too". 80's hair metal style soundtrack all the way.

As to music selection for irony, I've been known to supplant Gears of War's serious attitude with the Kinks and Traveling Wilburys. "Where have all the good times gone?" indeed.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
I didn't know that there were even 50 music based games out there. I've learnt something today then.