175: Fast-Track to Fanaticism

pparrish

Oct 2, 2008
Fast-Track to Fanaticism

Nintendo may have won a decisive victory against Sega in the 1990s, but for some console warriors the battle rages on. Peter Parrish documents the evolution of the Sonic the Hedgehog fanboy.

Read Full Article

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Holy hell. I consider myself a huge Sonic fan but I think I speak for the vast silent majority when I say that that love was as a child for Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. Not being blessed with a MegaCD Sonic CD was simply a source of childhood dreams.

I am concerned that the mental patients took over the asylum in the case of Sonic. If a development team was to recreate the fast paced simple joy of his first four outings but use the ridiculous space and technological improvements now available they could make the best 2d game around.

P.S. As a kid of about 9, Sally Acorn was definitely a reason to watch that cartoon show. Although to be honest I don't think I realised why. Erotic cartoon animal fanfic writer need sectioning.

I Mav I

May 7, 2008
All i got from this article is 'hahaha fanboys are lame' And last time i checked The Dark Brotherhood was a competant RPG with a good story made by bioware, a respected rpg creator

Its true that the sonic franchise is not what it used to be but i always figured it was the struggle of the creators to turn the fast based platforming into a current gen concept in the same way scrolling beat em ups dont really cut it nowadays...and nothing more...

pparrish

Oct 2, 2008
It was in reference to this: http://furnation.ru/files/a_1195886702_tails_-_stalker-tails.jpg (safe for viewing and whatnot, just quite odd.)

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Great article. You gave a competent argument to why the Sonic series has devolved into the cacophony of garbage it has become. Kudos.

SuperBH

Apr 29, 2008
It is true that Sonic has become a shadow (no pun intended) of his former self, but let us not forget that even once worshipped human icons have since fallen foul of this fan curse. Manchester United singing? John Barnes rapping?? Ian Wright in Pantomine!

To be fair, I think Sonic is still holding up well. After all, fans still buy the games, and if we're happy, isn't that all that matters?

ThePlasmatizer

Sep 2, 2008
Sonic (1991-2008)

Sonic was born in 1991 at a video game development company called SEGA.
He enjoyed instant success with Sonic 1 and Sonic 2, gained recognition and became the world's favourite Hedgehog.

Unfortunately Sonic's parents SEGA sought to monopolize on this commercial success and soon abused Sonic by making him star in one after the other in increasingly worse games to wring as much money out of their child's fortune as possible.

In 2008 faced with the prospect of starring in the next game alongside a preteen love interest and dress up as a Werewolf, he suffered the curse of many child actors and turned to a life of hard drugs and alcohol which would be his end.

R.I.P. Sonic, we will remember the good times, when a little blue hedgehog had a dream of running up and down hills and spin jumping onto his enemies heads.

Dramus

Jul 12, 2008
The dig at Sonic Chronicles didn't seem to have any relevance to the article. It'd be like someone claiming Super Mario RPG represented the decent of the Mario franchise into fan-fiction. Neither game was a traditional title. They were off shoots, made by RPG-specific companies.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
I am not saying people do not over-obsess, but it just seemed like he was ranting a bit. Besides, there are worse fanatics than Sonic, and there is nothing wrong with over-obsessing to a point. Definatly better than most sport fanatics who like to scream at the top of their lungs, annoying their family. I know I am not the only one with one of those in their house at one point or another.

Phos

Nov 12, 2008
Protip: The creepy people on deviantArt probably number in the hundreds, but every Sonic game is expected to be a million seller. They aren't catering to them. It's just plain old bad writing.

It bugs me how some people seem to think there is some kind of immutable force preventing Sonic games from being good, and I'm sure that this is going to be problematic for Sonic Unleashed (Which is looking like what I've been waiting for).

And someone needs to mention rule 34 to Mr. Parrish.

Girlysprite

Nov 9, 2007
Not even all recent sonic games are bad. I had one, which was a 3dplatformer with some kind of story based on arabian nights i believe, and I liked it. But it was about speed and reflexes, just like the old games.

And yeah, I know aaaall about fanfiction, I even have joined the shame when I was younger. But I was scared away when I stumbled upon a star trek fanfiction site by accident, decided to read on of the stories, and it happened to be about data with his emotion chip, exploring his new sexual feelings.

pparrish

Oct 2, 2008
I honestly have something of a fascination with the people who've churned out 200,000+ words of Sonic fan-fiction. There's a level of dedication there which is ... well, I'm not sure I can say 'admirable,' but thinking about it is like trying to comprehend our place in the universe, or something. It's almost too much to grasp.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
There's an interesting point to be made here, about how serving your base and only them, eventually becomes eating your own tail, really.

Liked it.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
The Sonic fanboy-base is the most annoyingly vocal. The roots of the issue probably lie in that way that not long after Sega found themselves with a financially sound game concept, they immediatly commissioned third party comics and cartoons which probably gave the birth to all fanfiction and fanboys, starting it off with those audiences. There is no example before them, so their rage is unyielding.
All the while, Nintendo went on a successful stratagy of less-is-more.

The first Sonic games were in a climate where we just had games of a simple "beat this guy" story. That's probably why it's so awkward to push him into this world of full 3D up the arse cinematic epic. I have no idea what they were thinking with '06. If your analysis of serving the fanboys is correct, then the only plusable reasoning behind that is that nobody likes it when you try to please everybody, so Sega just tried to please them instead. Unleashed also seems to be a replay of that, so don't get your hopes for a few years still.

I Mav I

May 7, 2008
Bob_F_It said:
The Sonic fanboy-base is the most annoyingly vocal. The roots of the issue probably lie in that way that not long after Sega found themselves with a financially sound game concept, they immediatly commissioned third party comics and cartoons which probably gave the birth to all fanfiction and fanboys, starting it off with those audiences. There is no example before them, so their rage is unyielding.
All the while, Nintendo went on a successful stratagy of less-is-more.

The first Sonic games were in a climate where we just had games of a simple "beat this guy" story. That's probably why it's so awkward to push him into this world of full 3D up the arse cinematic epic. I have no idea what they were thinking with '06. If your analysis of serving the fanboys is correct, then the only plusable reasoning behind that is that nobody likes it when you try to please everybody, so Sega just tried to please them instead. Unleashed also seems to be a replay of that, so don't get your hopes for a few years still.
Have you forgotten the mario bros. super show? Don't think that mario didnt get the same treatment, and less is more doesnt really count when we are one step away from mario netball on wii lol

sonicspin

Nov 13, 2008
Wow, just wow... It's like you're talking about me! This article is not only funny, but as far as I'm concerned it's true! Every bleeding word of it! Granted I've never given it a shot at a fanfic, but just this month I've discovered they've been re-releasing all the old sonic comic books, and I already went out and bought every last book they've put out! What I like about sonic though is the feeling of nostalgia I get from him. I am 20 years old, introduced to sonic very young. Since then he's always stayed with me in some shape or form. I like to think I'm not that terrible of a sonic fan, and yet I still hope to this very moment that Sonic Unleashed won't be a big crock of shi*, and I check websites daily to see if any new news has been released about it. The truth is though, is I am a loser, I have no friends, and have been living alone for two years now with no idea how to connect to anybody. I go to work, and even there I occasionally utter the name of the blue hedgehog, because that, among other things, is all I know. Sonic is the least vague topic of what I can converse about that someone might relate to, after all someone else out there had to have played his videogames or watched his show when they were younger, right? My point is, sonic or any other mascot are more than characters to some people, they're a crutch that help people get on with there lives, because when they get lonely there is nobody else to turn to.

Deanobeast

Nov 13, 2008
Wow... brutal. I'm a huge sonic fanboy, sonic the hedgehog 2 was the first computer game I got to play, and remains my favourite game. Even halflife and its various spin-offs come second to jumping on brightly coloured robots to free the little animals.

I got the duvet cover and read the comic and learned to draw because of him. I still doodle sonic (he's very easy to draw) on deviantart. But I never owned a megadrive, so playing remained a special treat whenever a couple hours could be snatched at a friend?s house. Maybe that helped keep it special.

But then at uni when the recent games came out they turned out to be horrible, bastardised versions of the mascot I grew up with. Maybe it was the over-saturation of sonic during the 90's that made me even care but I was disappointed with sega. Mario had won (yeah it was a fight between the two) so the fans turned inward for new material. The resultant intellectual inbreeding has produced some odd and disturbing offspring indeed. Maybe the old warhorse should be finally laid to rest before his memory is tarnished beyond all recognition by terrible obsessions. Or maybe something that can still evoke such strong reactions does so for a reason and may never die.

Hopefully sonic unleashed will make up for all the damage to the franchise, maybe not.

But I still love the classic foundation of sonic, bad scientist imprisoning animals in increasingly larger robots to take over the world. Simple, great and expandable. Bring on the fanfic and fan art... give monkey's enough time and a type writer and they'll produce Shakespeare.