Circuit City Files for Bankruptcy

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
Circuit City Files for Bankruptcy

The second largest electronics retailer in the U.S. is having more trouble staying afloat in the volatile economic sea.

Last week, Circuit City began scaling back by yesterday [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87185].

A combination of credit unavailability, cash flow issues, and major debt pushed the company to implement drastic measures to try to stem the flow of loss. In Sept., Circuit City reported $239.2 million in losses. It also lost more than $5 billion in stock market value over the last two years. Circuit City currently owes around $650 million to suppliers, including $118,797,964 to Hewlett Packard, $115,925,716 to Samsung Electronics, and $41,162,162 to Zenith Electronics, among others.

Interestingly, Sony is owed $60,009,803, which would explain the reports of product shipments being turned around. The bankruptcy filing came amidst declining sales in the U.S. and Canada. Suppliers cut off credit and began requiring up-front payment for shipments. Despite the grim signs, this may not yet spell out doom for the retailer. The company plans to remain open through the ongoing restructuring.

"We recently have taken intensive measures to overcome our deteriorating liquidity position," said James Marcum, Circuit City's acting president and chief CEO. "The decision to restructure the business through a Chapter 11 filing should provide us with the opportunity to strengthen our balance sheet, create a more efficient expense structure and ultimately position the company to compete more effectively. In the meantime, our stores remain fully operational, and our associates are focused on consistent and successful execution this holiday season and beyond."

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Yeah, just a note to anyone who comes in here saying Circuit City was another victim of the economy: The business has been having problems since a few years before all this began. I remember three or four years ago hearing rumors that they were filing bankruptcy.

I'm not saying the current economy had nothing to do with it, I'm just saying it was becoming a poorly run business to begin with.

Ralackk

Aug 12, 2008
That would probably be to do with the fact that they are very expensive compared to other stores around that sell similar products.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
Not really surprising, given how difficult it is to actually buy things at Circuit City. There's like this whole gauntlet you have to go through just to give them money.

Where is the product? Who the hell knows! Not the staff -- they're usually as mystified by the store layout as you are! Did you finally find the product? Head over to the perpetually-understaffed cash register and get ready to give out tons of completely pointless personal information!

-- Alex

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Y'know, I'm in business myself. It's a smaller company, but we know the very first rule of business. Don't buy more stock than you can pay for. Funny how well things work when you follow that rule.
Making sound financial decisions? Craziness!

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
meatloaf231 said:
Khell_Sennet said:
Y'know, I'm in business myself. It's a smaller company, but we know the very first rule of business. Don't buy more stock than you can pay for. Funny how well things work when you follow that rule.
Crazyness...?

THIS! IS! THE FREE MARKET! *kick in the chest*

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
meatloaf231 said:
Khell_Sennet said:
Crazyness...?

THIS! IS! THE FREE MARKET! *kick in the chest*
You know, that's precisely why I didn't use "madness." Ah well, I figured someone would probably end up doing it anyways.