Family Org Chastises Nintendo for MadWorld

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Family Org Chastises Nintendo for MadWorld

The National Institute on Media and the Family thinks Sega's uber-violent MadWorld tarnishes the Wii's sterling reputation as a family-friendly console.

As a kid, the worst thing an adult could tell you if they were really peeved at you was "I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed." It was the cruelest punishment: a chastising and a guilt-trip all-in-one. Well, the MadWorld [http://www.mediafamily.org/][/I], but they're not angry, they're just disappointed.

"The release of MadWorld for the Wii brings violent videogames to a once family-friendly platform," Dr. David Walsh, president of the NIMF, said in a press release. "MadWorld is another reminder that parents need to make sure they watch what their kids watch and play what their kids play."

That's the angry part, here's the disappointment: The NIMF thinks that Nintendo, which has heretofore been an absolute angel, is really just letting everyone down by allowing such unabashed garbage exist on the system. "In the past, the Wii has successfully sold itself as being the gaming console for the entire family and a way to bring family-game nights back into people's living rooms," Walsh said. "Unfortunately, Nintendo opened its doors to the violent videogame genre."

Walsh continued by saying that the NIMF "hopes that Nintendo does not lose sight of its initial audience and continues to offer quality, family-friendly games." Well, just because they let one game like MadWorld on their system doesn't mean they're going to suddenly decide not to release the next Mario and Sonic At Disneyland, so no need to worry there.

This isn't the first time Nintendo has caught flack for MadWorld. Last August the Daily Mail promotes cannibalism [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/85609-Daily-Mail-Criticizes-MadWorld-For-Wii].

[Via IGN [http://wii.ign.com/articles/960/960820p1.html]]

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
The tables have turned, no longer are the complaints about non gamer material, but that its not family friendny.
How about you just dont buy it? Your wii wont turn into a blood craving monster just because theres a violent game out for it.

fnph

Oct 13, 2007
These people need to do better research. Have they never heard of Resident Evil 4, The Godfather, Scarface: The World is Yours or House of the Dead Overkill? MadWorld's not the first violent game on the Wii and it won't be the last.
They seem to have a tenuous, at best, grasp on how the games industry works as well. They think because Sega release a violent game that Nintendo will suddenly change the style of game they make.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Haven't Manhunt 2, Resident Evil 4, Umbrella Chronicles, the two House of the Dead games and No More Heroes already ruined the 'family friendly' image? Or does noone care about already released games?

Edit: semi-Ninja'd.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Keane Ng said:
..."Unfortunately, Nintendo opened its doors to the violent videogame genre."...
By this I assume they mean "Genres other than very-very-casual".

Fineldar

Jun 8, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
""MadWorld is another reminder that parents need to make sure they watch what their kids watch and play what their kids play.""
Okay, you huge freaky fuck.
"Spy on your children constantly. Big Brother requires it of you." Oh god, say not another word. I'm sold.
I don't see anything wrong with that statement. Parents should pay attention to what their kids are doing. None of that article had any sort of even minor undertone that they should "spy on their children constantly" or even do anything remotely weird or overbearing.

I think MadWorld makes the Wii even more family friendly. Now the 13+ kids who have gotten tired of Wii sports and Super Mario Galaxy have something to play after their little siblings, grandparents, and dogs have gone to bed.

Maybe it's because I haven't played the game, or seen much about it, but it looks far too fake to be anything bad. It looks cool, but entirly unrealistic at all. Are stick figure battles that kids draw destroying our youth?

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
"have to watch what their kids play" Well, you know, that kind of is THEIR JOB! Once you become a parent, that is your career, I don't care if you are a man or woman, once you have a kid, your life is about them. No more is your job advancement a way to increase your ego, it is a way to better your child's oppurtunities. No more are your weekends just a day off, it is time to spend bonding with and teaching your child. No longer can you be an immature jerkoff. You must be a parent.

This-is-Hip-Hop

Feb 21, 2009
Well, I agree with a few points, Nintendo is trying to change into something its not, a Hardcore console. That does not necesarily mean that the console is bad, I really enjoy my Nintendo Wii and play it quite often. But what it really falls down to is the parents choosing what to buy. In most cases for the "At-Risk" age, the parents purchase the game, or in most cases rent it. So the parent has full control, and really should just spend the 5 seconds to look on the cover and see the "M" rating.

As a side note, to the rightfully conscerned parents of the world, A single game does not define a console, the Wii is still family friendly, you just found its Limp Bizkit CD.

-This-is-Hip-Hop

L33tsauce_Marty

Jun 26, 2008
*Rolls over on the floor laughing so damn hard*

I KNEW this would happen! Try to move away from violence and BAM, angry moms using Wii fit get pissed off.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Wow. Just because there IS a game on that console, doesn't mean you have to BUY it. Either way, I agree with Fineldar when he calls it stick figure battles. It's probably of of the most unrealistic games in the world.

Just because Sonic Unleashed is on the 360 doesn't mean I'm going to buy it. People are idiots.

RedDiablo

Nov 8, 2008
It's a darn video game. Video games come in all genres and sizes. Honestly, how many times will we hear some dumb parenting group criticizing video games just cause they are mature? It's our right to have video games, if they don't like it, they shouldn't complain.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I remember a similar if not exact situation with the same game from the Daily Mail.

One of the comments was "does anyone else find it unsettling that these people are trying to tell Nintendo what to do and keep it what they want it to be?" or something similar. Frankly, I agree wholeheartedly with that person.

I find it both annoying and scary that these people are trying to tell Nintendo what they can and can't do with their system as it is now "family friendly". Nintendo can do whatever they think will make the Wii a success, and here are these people telling Nintendo "no no, your console is supposed to be family friendly! You shouldn't tarnish that image! LISTEN TO US!" That is very annoying and scary as it shows that Nintendo is somehow restricted to only family "friendly games" and that anything else is "off limits".

And quite frankly frankly, I'm so pissed off that the only real reason why I'm interested in MadWorld is because it's an uberviolent game! I thought the Wii was supposed to give me more unique options, away from the gorefests that you see on the 360/PS3? GOD DAMNIT!

And and really, the only reason why SEGA is making this game for the Wii is so they can say "HEY! WE'Z GOTS NOT CUTSEY GAMZ FOR WII!#^!#^" and claim that they're different from the load of shovelware you see on the Wii.

Still looks interesting though.

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
Ok, here's a similar scenario for you. Television has child-friendly programs, but it also has gory and contraversial films. It is therefore 0% Child-friendly? No, no, NO!

laryri

May 19, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Walsh continued by saying that the NIMF "hopes that Nintendo does not lose sight of its initial audience and continues to offer quality, family-friendly games."
Nintendo would never do that!

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Even before Madworld the Wii held the title of one of the top 5 bloodiest consoles ever. Madworld pushes it to #1

a big stupid idiot

Jan 9, 2008
Yeah, you know, because the Wii defiantly didn't have violence before. Yup, No More Heroes, Resident Evil 4/Umbrella Chronicles and Trauma Center didn't have any violence at all.

gmer412

Feb 21, 2008
laryri said:
Keane Ng said:
Walsh continued by saying that the NIMF "hopes that Nintendo does not lose sight of its initial audience and continues to offer quality, family-friendly games."
Nintendo would never do that!
The hilarious thing? A game comes out that genuinely makes hardcore gamers interested and the media says that Nintendo is screwing the casual gamers.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
So the Wii got its first family unfriendly title with Mad World, eh? I guess running through the trenches of recent history's most horrible war, killing people and watching other people die is family friendly then, eh? Lil' Timmy gotta learn early how to kill the enemies of his country in cold blood when his government asks for it, eh?