YouTube Blocks Music Videos in UK

Feb 13, 2008
YouTube Blocks Music Videos in UK

In a major row over recording rights, YouTube has blocked all UK users from accessing some of its music videos.

As of the 9th of March, anyone accessing YouTube from a UK server will be denied access to all of the site's premium music videos, the result of a fallout between Google (YouTube's owners) and the Performing Rights Society.

YouTube's argument is that it's not prepared to pay the rates that the PRS wants to charge for passing onto the performers. PRS's argument is that the charges it's proposing are the absolute minimum to provide a fair deal for the artists it represents, citing that 90% of music artists would still only be earning £10,000 ($14,000) a year from the PRS's recompence.

YouTube still stands by its decision. "The more music videos YouTube streams, and the more popular those music videos are, the more money YouTube will generate to share with the PRS and its song writers. It's a win-win arrangement," said Patrick Walker, YouTube's director of video partnerships. "YouTube, however, cannot be expected to engage in a business in which it loses money every time a music video is played - that is simply not a sustainable business model."

Steve Porter, the head of the PRS, says the YouTube move "punishes British consumers and the songwriters whose interests we protect and represent."

Backing up the PRS are the Music Publishers Association (MPA) and Lord Carter, the UK's Minister for Communications, Technology and Broadcasting. Last.fm, on the other hand, has stepped up to the fight, complaining about the PRS's lack of transparency.

"It is a fundamental problem that we have been facing in that online music licensing is getting more complicated and more expensive," says Martin Stiksel, head of Last.fm, "We pay each time one user listens to a song or watches a clip and, while that is more accurate because it makes sure the more popular songs get paid more, it is also very expensive. Terrestrial radio pays a fixed minimum and that works out a lot cheaper."

The real fear is that with the licenced outlets involved in major legal battles over costs, the illegal sources, which already hold 95% of the downloads [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88740-IFPI-95-of-Downloaded-Music-is-Illegal] may take an unassailable position, especially with the possible demise of the RIAA [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89828-RIAA-Devolves-Into-A-Bloodbath].

This isn't the first company to have problems with UK licencing as services such as Pandora.com, MySpace UK and Imeem have also run into problems in the past year.

Source: BBC [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7933565.stm]
(Image) [http://www.flickr.com/photos/dannysullivan/1418665116/]

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
That's because we're all money grabbing swine that love to get our hands on as much money as possible :)

The PRS have a point though, what's the point in artists spending thousands on a music video if everyone can just watch it for free on youtube? Admittedly, musicians dont deserve the money that they demand, but Im sure Google could come to an arrangement so that they are fairly compensated.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I'm maybe old fashioned, but are music videos not made as an 'advert' for the band and their music? Therefore the point in artist's management and record company throwing cash at videos is so people get to hear about them and hopefully buy cds and tickets to shows.I never really saw music videos as something to sell so much, I know our music DVD section when I worked in the store was a tiny tiny percentage of our sales, based both on music cds and other types of dvd.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
nova18 said:
That's because we're all money grabbing swine that love to get our hands on as much money as possible :)

The PRS have a point though, what's the point in artists spending thousands on a music video if everyone can just watch it for free on youtube? Admittedly, musicians dont deserve the money that they demand, but Im sure Google could come to an arrangement so that they are fairly compensated.
Video killed the radio star. Now the internet is killing the video star.

The Recording Industry is simply woefully behind the times, while more modern artsists such as say... JOHN COULTON, sells his music online, liscences youtube music video's, and allows some of his music to be dl'd for free on his website.

Times are changing. The fact of the matter is musicians may not be able to become millionare's anymore- not just off their music. The internet completly defeats the PURPOSE of the studio system. The producer/studio system is intended to refine and market the product. Refining the product is a legitimate service but you don't need a huge record label to do that. As for marketing it, the internet makes marketing lightning fast and cheap.

If artists 10 years from now want to be fabulously wealthy and famous, they better learn to do business different. That means embracing digital distribution and advertising like youtube, letting some songs get away for free - find some way to sweeten the deal for people to BUY the music, that they can't get online for free legally, even if some people will pirate it - and expanding their concept of merchandising. Where are the bands making deals with say, Valve, to let people who pay $5 put a MCR t-shirt on their heavy? Sound stupid, sound implausible? Bet your ass it'll happen. People will always pay for crap like that. There are people who make their livings selling virtual properties and cloths in second life, if musicians want digital scratch they need to think outside the box.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
this explains why i can't get any music on youtube anymore

and also

nova18 said:
The PRS have a point though, what's the point in artists spending thousands on a music video if everyone can just watch it for free on youtube?
they don't sell music videos, hell, i have free channels that play music, hell, i don't see the problem

TOO LIMEWIRE!

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Youtube used to let the people who held the copyright on music get the revenue from adds, what happened to that?

Darkong

Nov 6, 2007
Knight Templar said:
Youtube used to let the people who held the copyright on music get the revenue from adds, what happened to that?
The problem is the PRS want set rates rather than a percentage (as they'd get from the old advertising sales method) and Google has claimed two main problems with the new deal. One is that the PRS is not being open with which artists are covered in the deal, so YouTube don't know who it'll be covering. The other is that the amount the PRS is asking for is more than they themselves make (from the advertising on the site), so they'd be making a loss every time someone watches a video.

SG Xibalba

Feb 9, 2009
Can someone explain to me why (yet again) UK residents are being penalised? How does this all fare with America and other terratories?

Feb 13, 2008
SG Xibalba said:
Can someone explain to me why (yet again) UK residents are being penalised? How does this all fare with America and other terratories?
Basically, the PRS want too much money from YouTube from all the celebrities they represent, according to Google/YouTube. The more cynical people might say that this is due to Google applying its own money management schemes to YouTube.
Other territories don't have the same demands the the British do. For example, if a store decides to break the music licencing fee, by playing a piece of music for roughly a minute(I think), they would be fined something like £2,000 per store, whether or not those other stores would be playing it. For a company like McDonalds, this could mean a quarter of a million pounds for playing any music that's protected.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Sounds like the PRS are being fuckwitted. (surprise!)

Wah wah, we can't make you pay more than you actually get from the videos, therefore we'd rather have nothing than let you make a couple of cents while throwing big piles of cash at us.

It's that kind of thinking that got us into a worldwide recession, high end business types not knowing when they have a good deal, and knowing when to quit pushing, and just sit back and let the cash roll in.

TLDR version

PRS=fuckwits

On a side note, I wish youtube would clear removed videos out of their damn search results, I'm getting highly sick of looking for something and going thru maybe a dozen pages of 'this video has been removed due to a copyright claim that Fox once did a Simpsons cartoon therefore we are not allowed to show any animation'.

Sure, remove everything copyrighted and go back to a world where you got zero international sales because no-one outside your country had heard of your product.

I'm not sure how the BBC act on this, but damn, I hope they realise how much they sell to the US in terms of dvd boxsets, and in return how much '24' and Family guy and the like we all buy.

I guess I'm just saying, how many shows and bands have you been turned onto by a mate sending you a youtube link and going, hey, take a look at this, its great!

SG Xibalba

Feb 9, 2009
Yeah, I just wondered how/why YouTube singled out the UK as being a problem when surely they must have to pay some form of performance rights fee (just like any radio station) with regards its American user base etc? It's that part that doesn't quite add up to me...

Feb 13, 2008
SG Xibalba said:
Yeah, I just wondered how/why YouTube singled out the UK as being a problem when surely they must have to pay some form of performance rights fee (just like any radio station) with regards its American user base etc? It's that part that doesn't quite add up to me...
I'm assuming that the ASWA doesn't charge as much as the PRS; but I don't know for sure.

FinalGamer

Mar 8, 2009
So what? It's not like I'm subscribed to universalmusicgroup am I?
Someone else will upload a vid and huzzah.
Failing that there's always torrents....of course I'd have to know the songs first, yer only losing more customers music companies. YOU SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO PIRATE BAY BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Gasaraki

Oct 15, 2009
The PRS is being retarded, they had a perfectly fine system with artists getting a share of the ad revenue, then suddenly they go "Oh, fuck that! How about instead of paying us a reasonable rate, you pay us more than you earn from this!"
Seriously, who the hell would agree to that?