Canadian Province Gets Tough With Game Retailers

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
Canadian Province Gets Tough With Game Retailers

New Brunswick throws down the gauntlet to protect Canadian youth from videogame violence.

In an effort to keep violent games away from young kids, the provincial government in New Brunswick will begin requiring game retailers to obtain licenses [http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/news/article/484446] to peddle their wares. This will provide the government a means to step in and regulate the sale of games to minors - something that has been lacking, officials say.

Starting next month, game retailers will have to obtain the proper license to continue operating. Though many stores already adhere to the ESRB classifications [http://www.esrb.org/index-js.jsp] - the North American system followed by the provincial government - there has been nothing in place to penalize retailers who sell games to kids deemed unsuitable for their age, according to public safety department spokesperson Lisa Harrity.

"So we license and regulate the retailers only. Up until now, this did not include videogames," she said. "For retailers who are already licensed for movies, this is not really going to have a big impact on them. There will be a small number of retailers in the province who deal exclusively in videogames."

Government officials will begin visiting game retailers to make sure they have the proper license and are following the regulations, she said. Stores caught violating the rules will be issued warnings and could lose their license to sell games.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
well much as id love to jump on the "omg theyre daemonising games the horror", the quotes indicate that all media relatil outlets in New Brunswick require a license. Idiosyncratic system it may be, but its not exactly them going out of their way to destroy gamers.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
I always figured it would be Quebec
they were first, look up their language laws

as for NB, i'm still willing to bet a kid can go buy a r rated movie at the store without much trouble

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
cleverlymadeup said:
Khell_Sennet said:

as for NB, i'm still willing to bet a kid can go buy a r rated movie at the store without much trouble
The Language laws aren't doing squat really. Montreal is still largely english.

guardian001

Oct 20, 2008
Wow... I'm glad I don't live in NB, although if it's passed there, chances are it will spread eventually.
Although to be fair, this doesn't really affect the consumer to much. This may not have been required of stores before, but most enforced it anyway(or at least most of the ones I've seen). and in any case, since when have laws ever stopped people from doing something if they really want to. Chances are most people will just get a parent/sibling/friend to buy the game for them.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
SuperFriendBFG said:
cleverlymadeup said:
Khell_Sennet said:

The Language laws aren't doing squat really. Montreal is still largely english.
try operating a business in only english and see what happens :)

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem to bad, what these people are doing. Ineffective and slow-acting, sure, but it doesn't seem to want to stamp out video game sales, just make sure that retailers adhere to the guidelines that have been set down by the government. As soon as they start the purge of gaming, however...

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
It's an interesting situation because entertainment media in Canada doesn't have the same sort of built-in protections as it does in the US. It's not usually a big deal, normally Canada just rolls along with whatever the Americans do - the ESRB itself is a fine example of that - but with less concern over some of their sillier hangups. This is the first time I can recall that a provincial government has taken direct steps to regulate the sale of games. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

But as far as this spreading to other provinces, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. Getting the provinces to agree on anything beyond a vague desire to bend Ottawa over at every opportunity is just about impossible.

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
And the first step towards fascism begins in NB... Who'da thunkit?
I did. :p Never trust a province that makes their waterfalls go backwards! Although we're probably next, we're touching them after all. I guess this means we gotta amputate at Amherst.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Ah this is why i love Alberta so much we don't do stuff like that and if we do its because we were drug kicking and screaming

MitchBeaudry

Nov 12, 2008
Sooo... what? This affects retailers not the consumer. As long as people who want to buy the game still can then what's the matter? It's not as if they are censoring games or banning sales of certain games, they just don't want minors buying games deemed inappropriate for them. While I think it's up to the parent to decide what should and should not be deemed inappropriate if a parent thinks their child should be allowed to play a game rated M they can go out and buy it for them.

I don't see how this is an issue.

Whobajube

Mar 25, 2008
NeoAC said:
Khell_Sennet said:
And the first step towards fascism begins in NB... Who'da thunkit?
I did. :p Never trust a province that makes their waterfalls go backwards! Although we're probably next, we're touching them after all. I guess this means we gotta amputate at Amherst.
Nova Scotia ftw.

This doesn't really bother me much... It doesn't really affect me at all. It's good too, because really young children, honestly, shouldn't play some video games out there. It doesn't change anything though, kids are still going to find a way to get them.

Brodden

Apr 14, 2008
I feel that it is an even balance. It is not preventing retailers from selling games or a particular "controversial" game. This licence doesn't care how violent the games are or how many titties are shown, they just want to make sure that little Johnny, age 14 doesn't get a hold of "Jugg Master 4: The Revenge of the Areola". I agree with the new licencing because if it were another form of art or entertainment like a Penthouse then this discussion wouldn't be taking place.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Sounds good to me. I want more mature, insanely violent games, but for adults. If game ages become accredited properly it should deflect 90% of the flak games get.